Skew on a Single LMB?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Xmike

Original poster
Oct 6, 2007
Wanting a Portable Satellite System for my Motorhome and not checking everthing out I purchased a Winegard model PM-2000 Portable Satellite Antenna and Tripod from Camping World. I left the small stand off the dish and installed it on the tri-pod. The dish is a single LNB. I finally got a picture after setting in the Skew, but with a single LNB is that needed? Could I have just been off on the Azimuth & Elevation? The dish did not come with a Skew setting so I just extended one of the tri-pod legs to tilt the dish. I also noticed in the Camping World Web Site that this Dish isn't recommended for the 500 Dish system, anyone know why? But at the store where I purchase the dish they said that this dish was all I needed.

Mike

Mike500,
I noticed that my house Dish has a Skew. Is this because because it has two LNB's?

Just called Dish TV technical support they said the Skew was still needed for Maximum Signal off their Satellite. Called Direct TV they said that the setting wasn't needed for a single LNB. Dish TV also said that you need a zip code to setup the Azimuth, Elevation and Skew, all three change with a different location. I asked Dish where I could find a zip code hundreds of miles out in the wilderness in my Motorhome, they didn't have an answer. Tomorrow it's out with Dish TV and back with Direct TV. I think I'll try the HD this time around also.
Guess this means I'll also have to leave the Dish Network Forum.
Hey guys, for the short time it has been nice chating.

Mike

The only time you don't need skew is if you are aiming at a satellite that is exactly south of you. the skew is required because of the "skewed" view of the satellite as you turn the dish towards the satellite (with relation to the earth). You can either skew the dish, or just skew the lnb (if you have a dish/lnb setup that supports skewing the lnb).

If you bought an 18" dish with single lnb, then it wont work well for dish500 - which is a 2 lnb system that uses a larger dish to handle the less than optimal aim at two separate satellites. Of course, you can still get all of the content with one lnb/dish that you would get with a dish500, but you'll have to manually move the dish to view each satellite separately.

Single circular LNBF DOESN'T REQUIRED setup skew !
Period.

The only time you don't need skew is if you are aiming at a satellite that is exactly south of you. the skew is required because of the "skewed" view of the satellite as you turn the dish towards the satellite (with relation to the earth). You can either skew the dish, or just skew the lnb (if you have a dish/lnb setup that supports skewing the lnb).

If you bought an 18" dish with single lnb, then it wont work well for dish500 - which is a 2 lnb system that uses a larger dish to handle the less than optimal aim at two separate satellites. Of course, you can still get all of the content with one lnb/dish that you would get with a dish500, but you'll have to manually move the dish to view each satellite separately.

Single circular LNBF DOESN'T REQUIRED setup skew !
Period.
While it is true that circular signals don't require skew in the sense that linear signals do (which I admit I had neglected to consider since I don't ever work with circular sats), it is my understanding that an oblong dish (which the dish in question may or may not be) still requires skewing when not facing south. The reason is because the entire width of the dish is not realized unless the dish is skewed in relation to the direction of the satellite as the skewed view of the satellite in relation to the horizon from the dish's location.
Question mark. :cool:

Would you mind to measure H/W ratio of the hypothetical dish what persist in your minds and calculate the loss for 5-10-15 degree skew using circular LNBF ?
:D

IMHO, useless exercise. ;)

Yes you can turn a circular dish 300 upside down and it will still get the same signal. Skew does not matter on a circular single lnb dish. If it was oval or dual LNB that goes out the window.

Yes you can turn a circular dish 300 upside down and it will still get the same signal. Skew does not matter on a circular single lnb dish. If it was oval or dual LNB that goes out the window.
This is what I was getting at with my above post. I was just trying to clarify that there is some reason for skewing a single lnb dish (oval) incase the casual reader should come across this in the future. Even though the point was made correctly that this guy's installation likely would not require it (as I missed with my linear-lnbf-frame-of-mind originally)

However, Smith, P., if you would care to supply the dish/lnb/signal meter, I'd gladly give you the accurate measurements you've requested. If not, I'll just rely on the fact that I'm correct, and move on ;)

Wanting a Portable Satellite System for my Motorhome and not checking everthing out I purchased a Winegard model PM-2000 Portable Satellite Antenna and Tripod from Camping World. I left the small stand off the dish and installed it on the tri-pod. The dish is a single LNB. I finally got a picture after setting in the Skew, but with a single LNB is that needed? Could I have just been off on the Azimuth & Elevation? The dish did not come with a Skew setting so I just extended one of the tri-pod legs to tilt the dish. I also noticed in the Camping World Web Site that this Dish isn't recommended for the 500 Dish system, anyone know why? But at the store where I purchase the dish they said that this dish was all I needed.

Mike

xMike's dish a a round dish with a single LNB. There is NO skew adjustment on it because there is NO skew needed. In your receiver menu, this would be called the Dish 300.

0925_1_b.JPG

What do you understand to be a 500 Dish system as mentioned in Camping World? The Dish500 is a dish. It's DishNet's twin LNB oval dish, which does require a skew adjustment to maximize both LNBs signals.

DISH500img_small.jpg

Just about every Dish Network receiver will work with this dish. I think what the Camping World article you mentioned may have meant was, since Dish Network uses two satellites for all of their main programming, they don't recommend using a single LNB (single satellite) dish. Otherwise, you'll be bytchin and moanin about not being able to pick up <X> channel because it's on the other satellite. So you go retune the dish to the other satellite, re-run Check Switch, watch <X> channel, then try to flip to another channel and you can't get it because it's on the other satellite! :D

Bottom line is, if you're using a Dish Network receiver, buy a Dish 500 dish. It's just about as easy to align and there will be less cuss words coming out of your mouth. And yes, you'll then have to set the skew :D

Take it back to Camping World and tell the guy he sold you the wrong dish and you want reimbursement for every cuss word!

Mike
The most important thing in setting up a dish is making sure the mast is plumb on all sides. Use a level, not your eyeballs. If the mast is off by an RSCH, or other hair, you will be several thousands miles off in space. Since you had to kick one of the legs out to get signal, I suspect your plumb was off to begin with, and then 2 or 3 wrongs made a right. :)

We all probably have something bad to say about the USPS, but here is a link to one of their best works:
- - - USPS - ZIP Code Lookup - Search By Address
Before you take a trip, go to this web site, click on Search by City, and find the Zip Code for each of the Cities you may possibly set up camp in or near.

At the Point Dish Screen, Select Dish 300, put your Zip Code in, then select the Satellite and record the settings.

As previously said, I think I would replace a 18" 1 LNBF dish with a 20" 2 LNBF dish (Dish 500 with DP Twin). Then follow the same procedures above, but select Dish 500 and don't forget to set the Skew before anything else. Then do not adjust the skew, only the azimuth and elevation.

If you are still having a problem, drink a couple of beers and try again. :D
Once the "Mast is Plumb" it shouldn't take more than 3-10 minutes to set up.

Remember...
When you twist the dish on the mast left or right, moving it 1/8" could move it from the 110 satellite to the 119 satellite, so try to move it about 1/32", 1/16" at a time.
Also, it may take the receiver 8 - 10 seconds to recognize a change in signal when adjusting your dish. So it helps to have the Elevation set, then have the dish pointed close to the correct Azimuth using a compass.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)