Skip back during live TV issue or bug???

Smwoodward

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Alabama
Maybe I can explain this properly. When watching live TV, if I hit the ship back button because I missed something that was said or what ever, so that there is only 10 seconds or so in the buffer, I have noticed issues where the hopper will jump back to live TV randomly. Sometimes it won't even get through the whole 10 second buffer, sometimes it will, but eventually (within a minute or so) it just automatically jumps back to live TV. I don't notice this if I skip back more than one button press, but every time I only press it once it will jump back to live TV. Is this a bug or is it something with just my hopper? I have also noticed that it does it on the Joey's also.

If you press "rewind" or "reverse" and it only goes back a few seconds and there's no more buffer, you have bad hardware.

Yes, it sometimes decides to jump back to live if there's not much of a delay in viewing. Only fix is to go back further or pause and wait a few seconds. And don't hope for consistency.

Otherwise, if pressing "skip back" sometimes works fine, sometimes goes WAY back or even sometimes goes forward, and similar quirks happen with "skip fwd" then you have the same bug we all have.

Excuse me, it's not a bug. It's not a fly, not a dragonfly, no longer a minor annoyance. It's a full blown fire breathing DRAGON of a PROBLEM. And there seems to be no valid reason to still exist, other than a lack of willingness to devote resources to correct what used to not be broken.

There. I'm feeling MUCH better now.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Right. I've observed that if it the very first Skip Back since tuned to that channel (and I mean even 30 minutes in the buffer), the screen will go black, than back a few seconds and then often skip to Live a few seconds later. However, after that initial hiccup, all trick play seems to perform as it should. However, if as the very first trick play since having tuned to that channel (again lots in the buffer like 30 minute) is a REW back several minutes, this hiccup wont' occur. The hiccup seems to be about being the very first command to Skip Back 10 seconds. It is annoying, but I'm getting used to it and even EXPECT it and am ready to start again. Dish should fix tit.

If you press "rewind" or "reverse" and it only goes back a few seconds and there's no more buffer, you have bad hardware.

Yes, it sometimes decides to jump back to live if there's not much of a delay in viewing. Only fix is to go back further or pause and wait a few seconds. And don't hope for consistency.

Otherwise, if pressing "skip back" sometimes works fine, sometimes goes WAY back or even sometimes goes forward, and similar quirks happen with "skip fwd" then you have the same bug we all have.

Excuse me, it's not a bug. It's not a fly, not a dragonfly, no longer a minor annoyance. It's a full blown fire breathing DRAGON of a PROBLEM. And there seems to be no valid reason to still exist, other than a lack of willingness to devote resources to correct what used to not be broken.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

AMEN. Well said navychop, I feel much better now too. Very annoying when something use to work great, new software version comes out, and then it takes forever to fix it.

AMEN! I only hate that I couldn't "like" that post more than once.

That said...you want trick play issues...go try to use any sort of rewind or fast fwd on the Sirius Music channels. If you hit pause and wait a minute, you can hit play and it will resume; however any use of rewind, skip back, ship ahead, or fast forward are ALL OVER the place, if they even work at all. In the past, VIP and before, the timing was always off as far as how far a skip back/ahead would work, but they WOULD work at least. Not since the Hopper arrived, though. Yes...I may be in the minority, but I do like to use those features on those channels...err...I used to.

Wow...what stations are you watching???? :D

My lousy typing with a wireless keyboard that isn't quite as a standard keyboard. I often amuse myself with this. :). But not as funny as when I spelt Dave Kummer's name as Dave Cummer, and "C" ummer. That was posted and my rushed typing pointed out and we all LOL at that one. BTW, I MISS old Dave. Give him his own TV show like they used to on the Tech Forum, but without Mark Jackson who would sometimes GLARE at Dave if he was too forthcoming, but they were the best pair, better than the Charles and Jim show with Jim trying to occasionally shush Charles about features promised that subscribers will NEVER see, after all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)