Skippin' Commercials

Uncle Flappy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2004
I am sure that this topic has been discussed before but I though I would relight the fire.

I own on old RCA VCR that will fast-forward through commercials on playback. Why not use the same technology for the DVR?

Okay, I understand the business sense of it but RCA got away with it...

- Flappy

BFG said:
Umm, they do do that...

Automatically? I must be missing something. I thought my only option was to hit the skip button on the remote. My VCR does it without lifting a finger. It tags the commercials and automatically skips them during playback.

Uncle Flappy said:
Automatically? I must be missing something. I thought my only option was to hit the skip button on the remote. My VCR does it without lifting a finger. It tags the commercials and automatically skips them during playback.
Oh yeah. That pressing of the skip button sure can wear a person out. It's like torture.

Do you wear one og those bear can hats too, so you don't have to pick up the can, and raise it to your lips?

How the heck does your old school vcr know when a commercial is on, I don't buy it...

I have an old RCA VCR that does the same thing... Nice of it to detect and Fast Forward thru commercial.

BFG said:
How the heck does your old school vcr know when a commercial is on, I don't buy it...

Back in the day, there was usually a blank portion of video between the end of a segment and a commercial. The VCR would tag it as such, then fastfoward through on playback. It didn't work every time, but it did work.

Obviously, you critics have not experienced the commercial-skipping VCRs first hand. How often have you hit the "30 second skip" button too many times and missed the return of your recorded feature? Being forced to rewind is almost as annoying as the commercials themselves.

Yes, auto skip in lieu of four thumb-taps may be the epitome of laziness but don't knock it until you try it. It really is a very cool feature.

- Flappy

ats7627 said:
Back in the day, there was usually a blank portion of video between the end of a segment and a commercial. The VCR would tag it as such, then fastfoward through on playback. It didn't work every time, but it did work.

My RCA is still pretty accurate. It catches them about 90% of the time, not that I use it much.

Here is an article about ReplayTV that had commercial advance:
http://www.hometheatermag.com/pvr/123/

What a ridiculous topic, but what the hell....Doesn't the RCA VCR, even if it automatically FF thru commericals, still take longer to do that than hitting 30 sec skip 4 times?

Call me lazy.

I'd love to have automatic commercial skip. Maybe at some point, high % PVR use will render commercials obsolete. Somehow we'll end up paying for original programming from the networks.

Ransack said:
What a ridiculous topic, but what the hell....Doesn't the RCA VCR, even if it automatically FF thru commericals, still take longer to do that than hitting 30 sec skip 4 times?

It does take longer and the a/v quality of the 522 is much better, which is why I do not use the VCR. But I still like that feature...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts