Skipping commercials

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tonedeaf

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
Rockwall, TX
What is the best way to skip through commercials? Is it just hitting the FFWD button 3 times? I am still trying to get a hang of that.

When I press FFWD 3 times and then see the show has started again I press play and it actually backs up to some commercials again.

I know this is probably something easy. Help this Tivo Newb.

Thanks

Start playing a show, then press:
Select->Play->Select->3->0->Select (S-P-S-3-0-S)
If you have sound effects enabled, you'll here three "dings". Then, your "->|" button is changed to a "30 second skip" button.

NOTE: this is a toggle and not user configurable. Doing it again turns it off, as does any restart of the TiVo. Also, do this while watching a recording, not live TV as the "3->0" may change the channel. :)

Also, this does NOT totally disable you from doing "skip to tick" anymore.
If you hit FF, THEN hit "->|", it will then keeping skiping to tick.

The reason the system jumps back to commercials when using 2FF and 3FF is to compensate for your reaction time when you see the show start. As an experiment use the 3FF and when you see the show resume, press the pause button, this stops it right there. Then use the rewind to see how much show you missed because of your reaction time. I prefer the 30s skip function.

riggscm said:
do we have back doors on our DirecTivos??

I was under the impression they were all locked
From what I've read, yes...they are not available without cracking the box and hacking the software to begin with. But it IS do-able for the SERIOUS TiVo hacker.

Hacks are frowned upon here as we all want to be legit. TivoCommunity does have more answers to your questions than you will find here. :)

The Easter Egg that you mentioned (S-P-S-3-0-S) code is probably the most popular of them all.

The backdoor codes referenced for this have not been determined for the DirecTV DVR. There used to be a remote sequence which turned on the backdoors. The only way now is to open the box and hack the OS.

There are some remote control codes that can be entered, but these are more of the Easter Egg variety than backdoor codes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)