Sky Angel Lifetime Membership

ShaneLinder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 1, 2006
Texas
I bought a lifetime membership for $500 a few years ago.

Letter to Lake Regional Conference

Aside from the technical issue that we are experiencing, please know that your lifetime contract clearly states that "all programming/channels are subject to change without notice", and the lifetime commitment is for the life of the satellite, not the person(s) lifetime.

Now it looks like "lifetime" may not be that long.

Unless they made it perfectly clear that my "lifetime" contract was for the life of the contract, I would be letting them know that you'll be taken care of or you will give them legal motivation to do so. For a religious company, Sky Angel has said and done a lot of things that reduce my respect for them.

I don't think I ever saw the contract. I just agreed and paid over the phone. I would think if they terminate our lifetime contracts when E*3 dies, we can bring a class action against them.

I never saw any "fine print" or contract or told anything about it. I was told that it was for my lifetime, and as long as I was alive, I would receive the programming.

AFTER I paid in full..... (paid in 12 monthly installments)... I received a postcard that had some terms or "fine print" on it. Never read it. But I this that this is somewhat BAD that I received it AFTER I paid in full.... Especially if they really wrote that in the fine print. Thats deception!

If you did not sign anything then there is no proof that you actually knew or read or was given such contract. This sounds like a big class action lawsuit waiting to happen if you ask me. They probably didn't figure on adding these new channels that they added lately and knew they had to do something that it would end up costing them a bit of money to have to pay for the lifetime subscriber's programming on the new channels unless they only gave them access to the ones that were on previously and not hte new ones.

my understanding is that it's for the life of the subscriber, or the SkyAngel company, whichever dies first.

so even after the death of E*3, assuming SA survives and is broadcasting somewhere else, I should never have to pay to receive it (other than maybe having to buy additional equipment if it's on a different satellite or using different receivers).

So if a receiver dies then they are supposed to activate another receiver with the programming to replace it? Some may have to upgrade their hardware to work on the newer dishes or may want a DVR if they subscribe to Dish Network programming as well. With satellite radio you only get lifetime use of the unit you paid the lifetime purchase for.

If someone already has a lifetime receiver active for SkyAngel and they activate additional receivers in the future would they automatically get the SkyAngel channels as well included in the lifetime fee?

I bought my lifetime membership in December of 2003 for $500. I bought the equipment at Radio Shack. Just this past March (2006) I bought a second reciever at Radio Shack. When I called Sky Angel to activate it they told me I had to call DISH to activate it. When I called DISH, they activated it over the phone and I just have to pay the $5 monthly fee to DISH for the extra reciever.

Reviewing my "fine print" postcard (labeled effective as of 8/1/03) that arrived shortly after I ordered my lifelong subscription plan from SA*, I can't find anything referring to the "life of the satellite".

The sentence I found is "For those who have purchased the lifelong subscription it will last for the operating lifetime of the Dominion Sky Angel domestic U.S. DBS service or for the lifetime of the subscriber and his or her spouse without any further monthly or annual subscription fees and includes a minimum of 32 television and radio channels selected at Dominion's sole discretion."

Unfortunately, it could be true that the life of E*3 and the life of the SA* service end on the same date, but I would certainly hope not.

There may be a newer lifetime subscriber agreement with updated terms, but I can't find it listed on the Site Map of SkyAngel.com. The only thing I can find there is obviously the contract for monthly subscribers, not lifelong.

FWIW, if they actually intend to cancel all lifelong subscriber agreements if/when SA* moves from E*3 to a new satellite, they will have many unhappy customers.

They still offer a discount for annual SkyAngel subscription don't they? Does anybody have a comparison of the SkyAngel package and the Family Package that Dish Network offers? I know that SkyAngel is $15 and Dish Network is $20. Would the SkyAngel package prevent the $6 access fee if someone wanted to order premiums, superstations, or locals in addition to it?

Stargazer said:
So if a receiver dies then they are supposed to activate another receiver with the programming to replace it? Some may have to upgrade their hardware to work on the newer dishes or may want a DVR if they subscribe to Dish Network programming as well. With satellite radio you only get lifetime use of the unit you paid the lifetime purchase for.

If someone already has a lifetime receiver active for SkyAngel and they activate additional receivers in the future would they automatically get the SkyAngel channels as well included in the lifetime fee?
Just like a Dish account. I've gone through several receivers over the years, as long as they are activated on the same E* account you get the same channels. (technically a SA only account is still an E* account at no charge from E* because you are paying SA)

Would the SkyAngel package prevent the $6 access fee if someone wanted to order premiums, superstations, or locals in addition to it?

yes it does. There are people out there with SA and say Superstations. No $6 BS fee

So if someone wants just the locals or just a movie package then that would be like getting SkyAngel for $6 less. For example SkyAngel is $16 right? That would be like getting it for $10 if you just wanted the locals $6 + $6. Total of $22 + tax.

I got my lifetime sub because my father paid a big chunk back when they were a gleam in the founder's eye. :)

If it goes away, I will go on to other things.

Ironically, it is in Dish's interest to keep on good terms with SkyAngel in my case. I have never even considered DirectTV or cable because I have SkyAngel. If they "split", Dish may be history as well.

I am currently on "SkyAngel only" to save money for a bit, but I expect to go back to Top180 in the next year or so, and maybe even to an HD package. :)

Brad :)

While Sky Angel is normally $14.99/month, you can get two months free by paying $149.90/year.

SA* customers should have no E* access fee, but still must pay other fees (DVR, additional receiver, etc.)

I got this email from Sky Angel:

Dear Shane,
The lifelong subscription terms and conditions as of December 1, 2003 state the following:

For those who have purchased the lifelong subscription it will last for the operating lifetime of the Dominion Sky Angel domestic U.S. DBS service or for the lifetime of the subscriber and his or her spouse...

Warm Regards,

Nancy Christopher

VP, Corporate Communications

Sky Angel DBS Television & Radio System

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)