sky angel problems

pmt3327

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
ROCKY MOUNT NC
I am having problems with my sky angel receiver. I have to turn the tv as loud as it will go to hear the stations and then when switch to my other dish satellite, it is blaring out. Anyone else having any problems. I got a new receiver and have the same problem.

Welcome to Satelliteguys!

Does the receiver itself have a volume control? I know the old 1000 Dish receivers have a volume control for the receiver. Since these receivers do not come with universal remotes that control TVs or other devices, they have a volume attenuator that acts like a volume control. If this is turned down and you change to a regular TV channel or another input, there could be a huge change in audio level.

Just a thought!

Good luck!

See ya
Tony

No it doesn't. Was working fine until last Thursday and then this started. I contacted dish and they went through all the troubleshooting and then sent a replacement receiver and still no change. Having trouble changing channels too. Give me a system info screen between channel changes. Could it be due to the changes sky angel is making.

DP301. I got it changing channels fine now but audio is still way off. When I turn it as loud as my tv will go, there is a humming sound in it too. I went through sky angel which was useless as they refer me to dish and dish has done all they know to do with it. Could it have anything to do with cable coming from the satellite. Picture is fine just sound is so bad.

I called sky angel again!!! They told me to hook up only the receiver that is programmed with sky angel directly to tv and try it. Still audio is half of volume it should be. I even tried it on other tv sets and still can hardly hear it. My Tv goes up to 53 on volume and I used to have it set on 14 or 15 to hear sky angel. Something has happened but no one can figure out what it is. Sky angel said it was my tv but it is not. Thinking about just canceling the whole thing and calling it quits with them. Cable is sounding better all the time.

This sure sounds like your receiver has a peculiar failure mode. Did you say that your replacement receiver does the same thing? Mystery.

How about stereo/mono setting on your TV? Have you selected the SAP by accident? No, you said this was happening on several TVs... If your TV is mono, but the receiver output from SA was suddenly out of phase left/right, then this would explain the symptoms.

How is the audio getting to the TV? RF connection? It seems unlikely that the RF modulator would go bad on two receivers, but it's possible. Many of us use the best-possible quality outputs, which is the S-video jack (and RCA audio) on a 301. If possible, use a TV with A/V inputs and see if those are working. There is less circuitry to fail both in the receiver and in the TV using A/V outputs/inputs.

Dish had me to do that too and no good. Thanks for all the advice. Guess will either live with it until they pull the plug or do away with satellite altogether. Can anyone tell me if this receiver would work back as a dish receiver in another room for the extra 5 bucks a month if I called dish to activate it to their service.

Yup. It would work fine as a Dish receiver. But I am certain the audio issue would remain for all the channels. Dish and Sky Angel channels work seemlessly on the receivers.

I am stumped.

Shots in the dark

Are you using the RF out (channel 3 or 4)? Make sure the switch is set to the channel you are using. Sometimes these transmitters put out such a strong signal that the TV locks onto the wrong channel where the video is mostly okay but the sound is awful.

Another thought, the transmitter is a little off the true channel 3, If you have the TV auto search it may tune in and lock on better.

Hook up a stereo receiver to the right and left audio and not use the tv volume. I rather hear the stuff in good quality stereo anyway.

Jim

why do you have sky angel on a separate receiver anyway? they could transfer it to your dish receivers then you wouldn't have to swap equipment.

I had the one receiver when I moved that I had bought. I had dish install the new one and at the time the installer told me it could not be done. (Didn't think he was right but let it go). Anyway I have gotten audio back on many stations and it is low on only a few of them now. Not worried about it now though since when skyangel goes I wont need it anyway. Not worrying with iptv. Too expensive and not worth the effort or expense. Anyone know what channels glorystar offers now and if any of the sky angel stations may go over there. Thanks for all the input.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts