Sky Angel Update - Going to be HD Capable!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Nice! Any info as to which channels will be in HD? Will they charge extra?

I just got a notice in the mail Wednesday about it. It was more or less a letter encouraging people to upgrade their Sky Angel STB's to their new Series II STB's. It said that they would be sending out updates to these boxes to be,among other things,HD capable. it didn't actually mention any channels becoming HD.

The letter also made reference to price increases. $32.99 per month for Family Package and $17.99 for Faith Package effective Otober 15, 2011. Their website still shows current pricing. I'm not opposed to this increase. We've had SA for three years now with no increase, and they have added some good channels to the Family Values package.

As for HD capability, will the minimum required bandwidth of 1.5 megs be enough for HD?

The letter also made reference to price increases. $32.99 per month for Family Package and $17.99 for Faith Package effective Otober 15, 2011. Their website still shows current pricing. I'm not opposed to this increase. We've had SA for three years now with no increase, and they have added some good channels to the Family Values package.

As for HD capability, will the minimum required bandwidth of 1.5 megs be enough for HD?

I don't think so, the way I understand what the letter was saying is it will work like Netflix does now, test your speed then deliver whatever quality your DSL speed will allow.

Waiting for my new box to arrive. I only wish they would permit two boxes for those who have the bandwidth to handle it (which I do).

I have to call their service department because I just got my letter from them regarding this change last week. I'm a little disappointed that they took out the middle tier which I have been subscribing to. When I got my Sky Angel IPTV they had faith, family, and family values plans. The family plan included things like Animal Planet (the provider I'm sure they're suing), Hallmark, Fox News, etc., and was $14.95/month. Looks like I'll have to jump up $18.00/month just to get those programs back. I'm also not too happy with (but O.K. with ) having to purchase another box. It's better than having to rent one from Verizon, DTV or Dish but it's still a bit of a PITA. I'd rather see them roll out the option for Roku or PlayOn or something like that since it's all IP based anyway...why clutter up the entertainment center with another device?

I'm more disappointed that I didn't hear about the switch until last week, though...oh well, I may have to go back to Verizon...

I have to call their service department because I just got my letter from them regarding this change last week. I'm a little disappointed that they took out the middle tier which I have been subscribing to. When I got my Sky Angel IPTV they had faith, family, and family values plans. The family plan included things like Animal Planet (the provider I'm sure they're suing), Hallmark, Fox News, etc., and was $14.95/month. Looks like I'll have to jump up $18.00/month just to get those programs back. I'm also not too happy with (but O.K. with ) having to purchase another box. It's better than having to rent one from Verizon, DTV or Dish but it's still a bit of a PITA. I'd rather see them roll out the option for Roku or PlayOn or something like that since it's all IP based anyway...why clutter up the entertainment center with another device?

I'm more disappointed that I didn't hear about the switch until last week, though...oh well, I may have to go back to Verizon...

I agree somewhat with you, because I too only subscribe to the family package, I did contact SA about that and was told they had not made a decision on whether current subscribers would be able to just keep that package or would be required to upgrade.

If we have to upgrade then that makes other options with Satellite provide more interesting considering for about the same price you could get their DVR and record without having to purchase anything. SA is the only one offering Fox News & Fox Business New without paying for a top of the line package. SA is still so far behind other providers since they do not provide DVRs & are not supported by TiVo now with the white box.

What if you don't purchase the new box yet? I mean, if no channels are HD yet, will it make a difference?

I am undecided if I am going to continue with Skyangel, so I put off buying a new STB until I'm sure I'm staying as a subscriber. There seems to be less and less shows that I watch, and I'm already paying for Netflix as well as hooking my laptop up to my TV to watch channels that are online. Because I don't have cable, AnimalPlanet and Discovery were the main reason I originally chose SA. Then I got hooked on two other shows, which I can't seem to find. Charles Stanley's Classic Messages and Dawn Hall's Cooking for Busy People. The only things I see added are old TV shows.

What if you don't purchase the new box yet? I mean, if no channels are HD yet, will it make a difference?

I am undecided if I am going to continue with Skyangel, so I put off buying a new STB until I'm sure I'm staying as a subscriber. There seems to be less and less shows that I watch, and I'm already paying for Netflix as well as hooking my laptop up to my TV to watch channels that are online. Because I don't have cable, AnimalPlanet and Discovery were the main reason I originally chose SA. Then I got hooked on two other shows, which I can't seem to find. Charles Stanley's Classic Messages and Dawn Hall's Cooking for Busy People. The only things I see added are old TV shows.

The older receiver will continue to work the same way it does now, it will not be able to receive the new software which is to have a new guide and also to solve the retrieving issues. Picture is somewhat better with the newer receiver, but there is no real need to change until you are sure you're goning to keep SA, and to see what the new software etc are really all about. New Pricing is also a concern considering other systems with no up front cost & DVRs provided.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts