Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Interesting since Rupert owns Sky & DirecTv.

Source

The set-top box for the Sky high-definition satellite television service launching in the UK next year is likely to have a network port to allow it to be linked to broadband connection.

Current Sky set-top boxes have an analogue modem that is connected to a telephone line to provide the return path for interactive services.

There has long been speculation that with the growth of broadband services, set-top boxes should be able to take advantage of a high-speed, always-on network connection. It is understood by informitv that this will become a feature of new high-end set-top boxes.

Potentially, this would allow much more responsive interactive television services, particularly for transactional applications.

Sky recently revealed plans to enable a new range of web service based interactive applications that would potentially allow anyone to have a low-cost presence on interactive television. While these would require a dial-up call with an analogue modem, they would be immediately available over a broadband connection.

Separately, Sky is planning a broadband television service that will allow subscribers to download a selection of movie and sports material over the internet. This service will initially be targeted at personal computers, but it indicates the potential to supplement subscription services delivered by satellite with on-demand services over broadband.

The forthcoming high-definition service is likely to initially attract the early adopter market, with many potential customers having broadband connections.

There is also the possibility of providing network connectivity in future versions of the Sky+ personal video recorder, effectively segmenting the market into a number of price points.

With operators such as BT planning to launch hybrid services that combine broadband video-on-demand with broadcast television, Sky clearly needs to tap into the broadband market. The combination of premium high-definition programming and broadband connected interactive services could be a compelling consumer proposition that telcos may find hard to match.

Gee they are finally seeing the writting on the wall. This is good. I mean talk about video on demand, over the Internet nowadays with bittorrent and all there are so many amazing things that could be done it is unreal.

This could make Cable oN Demand and FIOS TV obsolete. Imagine only needing a Broadband Connection and your HDTV connected with a P.C. and a large Hard Disk. Good bye to lots of HD subscriptions if the selection on Demand is good.

Sean Mota said:
This could make Cable oN Demand and FIOS TV obsolete. Imagine only needing a Broadband Connection and your HDTV connected with a P.C. and a large Hard Disk. Good bye to lots of HD subscriptions if the selection on Demand is good.

I think the immediate goal is to make cable's "InDemand" obsolete (InHD reference). Just imagine if inDemand didn't have PPV... They would have to open up the InHD channels to other providers (read D*).

Not to mention, with an always on connection, imagine the tivo like marketing info that can be gathered and sold. Imagine the impulse purchases that will be available. Imagine the money D* could rake in from all of these revenue streams....

Maybe that's the big hold up for MPG4 boxes. Hell, I'd make you guys wait if I were in Rupert's shoes... It makes GREAT business sense to release new interactive technologies along with the new boxes. I'm not saying that is the reason, but if it were, it would make a lot of great sense.

Sean Mota said:

Not to be too pissy, but what exactly do you think FIOS TV will look like? Verizon's stated strategy is lots of VOD, and the 2wire STBs might as well have "Dell" or "HP" written on them for all that they are much different than a PC.

Sean Mota said:

Trust me in that no broadband connection can ever handle HD VOD or SD VOD for that matter as well as a cable and FIOS network. Broadband can handle it but both cable and fios will give more bandwidth to VOD than they will ever give you on your internet connection. Also having it on broadband doesn't give you more choice than cable or FIOS. Content still has to be supported by the box and as such if the cable company and/or FIOS company supports it they can provide it on their own. Again a site like MovieNow or CinemaNow isn't going to show up just because we have a broadband connection because the provider (cable and fios) still has to tell you box it can play it back.

Bear said:
Not to be too pissy, but what exactly do you think FIOS TV will look like? Verizon's stated strategy is lots of VOD, and the 2wire STBs might as well have "Dell" or "HP" written on them for all that they are much different than a PC.

Fine... I think you missed my point. Obviously, both will be doing the same but to have a third party doing the same and be able to compete with them in the same infrastructure can only make it better for the consumer. That is my point. The more of these technologies the better it will be for consumers. I have no loyalty to anyone as long as they can give me what I want at a afordable price!

LonghornXP said:
Trust me in that no broadband connection can ever handle HD VOD or SD VOD for that matter as well as a cable and FIOS network. Broadband can handle it but both cable and fios will give more bandwidth to VOD than they will ever give you on your internet connection. Also having it on broadband doesn't give you more choice than cable or FIOS. Content still has to be supported by the box and as such if the cable company and/or FIOS company supports it they can provide it on their own. Again a site like MovieNow or CinemaNow isn't going to show up just because we have a broadband connection because the provider (cable and fios) still has to tell you box it can play it back.

Even with Internet 2...? and obviously I am not well versed of what their plans are but it seems to be that they have a plan and will have to wait and see if anyone can do it. I remember back in college when people where saying there is no way you can have this or this about the internet yet the technology has developed to an extraordinary pace. The future can only get better...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)