Sky TV and NileSat

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

newinchicago

Original poster
Jan 9, 2010
chicago
Hi everyone,

A very happy new year to you all.

I am new to Chicago, where I re-located from London UK.
I have been searching extensively to find a way to get SKY TV as well as NileSat (101/102) here in the midwest. I am looking for both FTA and subscribed channels.

I looked at Dish Network and direct TV and they offer a very limited package which is harldy interesting.

I live in a condo in the downtown Chicago.

Advice please?
regards
Newinchicago

What exactly are you looking for on Sky TV (UK Soccer channels? Ruby? Sports news?)? On Nilesat 101/102 reception is not possible (Middle-East beam), however again are there particular channels on that sat. I noticed that Nilesat has a lot of Arabic channels. On Galaxy 19 there are some channels from Nilesat also there such as Al Jazeera, etc.
Let us know if there are specific channels taht you are looking for so we can steer you in the right direction. If you live in a condo it might be difficult to set up FTA dish (which is usually over 90cm to get decent FTA reception). The other alternative would be to view those channels on the web.

Hi,

for SKY TV, mainly BBC and Sky channels
As for NileSat: mainly MBC channels (1,2,4,Max), Dream 1,2, Rotana, and Alhayat1,2

Well, I was told it is legal to install dish in condos (with terraces).

I actually connected a SlingMedia Pro to my entertainement system in my UK apartment (SKY + receiver, Humax for Hotbird and NileSat, as well as the digital free view). The quality of the signal is very poor on my PC here (I have broadband both ends). So this option is not that great

thanks
Iman

It is legal to install dishes up to 36 inches (90cm). This rule is mainly to accomodate Dish Network & Directv. The FTA sats here is much lower power and usually require larger dishes. Since the rule is 36 inches or less, your choice will be to view FTA only on Ku band. C band would be out, as that would require 6 ft (180cm) or larger which your condo would not approve.
There is Galaxy 19 at 97W. This would be your best bet. Look at the channel listings on Lyngsat.com to see what is available. On Ku there is no dedicated BBC/Sky Channels( there is BBc on C band ). There is BBC news highlights from Public Broadcasting Services.
Dish Network has International programming packages with MBC and BBC America. The other channels are not available on FTA or subscription on Ku band.

Hi,

for SKY TV, mainly BBC and Sky channels
As for NileSat: mainly MBC channels (1,2,4,Max), Dream 1,2, Rotana, and Alhayat1,2

Well, I was told it is legal to install dish in condos (with terraces).

I actually connected a SlingMedia Pro to my entertainement system in my UK apartment (SKY + receiver, Humax for Hotbird and NileSat, as well as the digital free view). The quality of the signal is very poor on my PC here (I have broadband both ends). So this option is not that great

thanks
Iman

Welcome to the forum.

There are some of the sky programs , together with BBC America ( BBC Prime/ Entertainment) on Dishand Direct TV.
I dropped an email tongue in cheek to MBC to tell them there were some spare Transponders on 97W they could broadcast MBC 1,2,4, Action, Max, & Persia - no response yet. It would certainly improve FTA in the US. Fortunately I am in Cyprus at present so no problem on those.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)