SkyFx relaunching Skyway USA satellite

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
I looked on SkyFx website as they used to be a reseller of Skyway USA and it seems like they are going to relaunch the service and have no contract. I know with Exede and Hughes new satellite it will make it hard for them to compete unless they have a really good deal. Doubt the service would be much better.

Unless they're not done updating their website, I don't see how this can fly. Lets start with up front costs; $250 hardware fee, $40 freight, $150 installation (optional), $25 activation fee. Then the recurring costs; $39.95 satellite service, $9.95 dialup service. Who in their right mind would pay $474 up front ($324 for self-install), then $49.90/month for a 512k one-way satellite internet connection that limits downloading to 16MB/day? Plus - all this assumes the customer actually has a phone line. For those who've abandoned landline phones for cell phones, that's yet another monthly cost.

As far as I can recall, this is the original price structure from before they went underground. Since then, Wildblue morph'd into Exede - with a current (basic) plan of $220 upfront, $49/mo for service, and a 7.5GB/mo download limit. I expect Hughes to even better that come August. Given the alternatives, it's hard to envision how an offering like this will draw customers.

//greg//

I thought the 39.99 included the dialup service. The advantages that they would have is that the new service is supposed to have no contract and supports self / cheaper installation. I think even if they got the initial cost down to under $200 that would still be a hard sell for most. Even if they went with a cell phone return path that would eat up minutes unless you got one of those unlimited plans. I think they could attract some business by going with an initial pricepoint at $99 and $29.99 per month with a two year contract or offer no contract and charge a little more upfront such as $199. Seems like its doomed though because I don't see it dropping below 39.99. The bar has been raised quite a bit for satellite broadband with Exede and the new Hughes platform coming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts