Skywalker-1 corrupted

Status
Please reply by conversation.

brentb636

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 24, 2006
5 miles N of Saugatuck, Mi
Recently I installed the USB tt s2-3600 on my system , to try looking at dvb-s2 feeds. Well , it worked for that, but I suspect that it clobbered the firmware of my skywalker-1 . Genpix confirmed that my firmware was corrupted ( I'm guessing during the tt s2-3600 install ) and he's reloaded the skywalker and is sending it back to it's rightful home.
Just a thought, and a warning, I suppose. From here on , I won't be having two usb based Sat cards on the same computer. Too much to go wrong !

:(

Brent,

That is really surprising to hear! I always thought that firmware was secure! It usually takes a custom program by firmware author to change.

What do you mean by USB based sat cards?

I thought USB devices were external to the PC.

Brent,

That is really surprising to hear! I always thought that firmware was secure! It usually takes a custom program by firmware author to change.

What do you mean by USB based sat cards?

Tom,

" thought USB devices were external to the PC."
USB based sat cards versus PCI bus sat cards. ( What I mean ) .

I was trying to be careful and not even have the two devices powered up at the same time, too, but apparently something went wrong. Perhaps stinkin' Windows got itself confused and initialized the skywalker-1 with a tt string of some sort. Clearly I don't know what happened, but the skywalker worked fine for over a year, and then got itself corrupted , coincidentally after the s2-3600 was installed. Sad story !
The really sad part is that I have 3 computers, but only one that has the horsepower to handle the 1920x108i, 4:2:2 , dvb-s2 feed that I watched 2 weeks ago. I like the skywalker MUCH more than the s2-3600 , probably because skywalker works so much nicer with DvbDream and Tsreader. Maybe I'll try the s2-3200 PCI card from technotrend, but I'll probably wait awhile on that . Wish there were more 4:2:2 capable , DVB-s2 choices.

:)

I had no idea that could happen! As you can see in my signature, I have four devices in my computer and I"ve never had any problem like that. Hope my luck holds:)
I agree about the Skywalker, it works nicely with most software, I just wish it was dvb-s2 capable

On a positive not, Nice Genpix fixed it free , though it's somewhat out of warranty. I suspected he would . :)
I've always found him to be very straightforward and reputable.
[edit] "I agree about the Skywalker, it works nicely with most software, I just wish it was dvb-s2 capable" .

If it were dvb-s2 capable ( with the requisite 8psk, etc ) , I'd be in heaven ! The lovely thing does everything else but wash the dishes.

:)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)