Slaving a 4dtv to my free 2 air system

Status
Please reply by conversation.

neil_kc1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
KANSAS CITY AREA
Ok i am considering buying a used 4dtv receiver. 3 questions. since i do not have a c-band system (purely ku mpeg 2 free to air):

1. i know there are a few 4dtv channels f2air on ku, is it worth it? ( would love to watch American Life Network)

2. Can I slave the 4dtv off my satwork 3688? (free 2 air receiver) or does the 4dtv HAVE to be the primary receiver?

3. if i can slave it will a simple 4dtv sidecar work or does it only work with a c-band analog receiver?

No room for c-band and wife would kill me with larger dish. So not an option.

The 4dtv will not work on a Ku only system. It needs to download channels maps and they are only available on C band. If you really want anyway, if you know someone with a c band dish, you can bring the 4dtv over to their place hook it up and download the maps. The maps change every so often and you would need to update the 4dtv occassionally.

Well a 8.5" dish is good for 4dtv, bigger is always better, but see if she will go for that size, if she says no, ask about a 14.5' and see what she says lol!!!

I never tried to get maps off of Galaxy-10 with a smaller reflector, it maybe possible, never tried though and got rid of all my dinky dishes. I notice some guys here are playing with smaller reflectors, maybe if one of them can test a 4dtv to see if they pull the maps, then you may be lucky.

I was gonna say- check out the c-band on 1.2M dish 'baby BUD' project.

The only annoying thing for me is that you'd have to change sats (move the dish) with one box and then change channels on the other.

C-Banders are probably used to this but the CoolSat / past DirecTV experience has spoiled me.

Teaching the 'wife-to-be' to correlate channels to sats would be fun too - lol.

Cascade said:
Shawn, going OT for a sec, have you ever watched a 4DTV broadcast or analogue channel from C-Band?
I haven't seen anything 4DTV, I have seen analog C-band but it was a while ago.

The Big draw to 4DTV for me is the ala carte pricing for channels and that it's just plain cheaper.

If it'll fly on baby BUD, cool. I don't have high expectations though. I'm keeping my eyes peeled in the papers for a 'come get it' BUD.

Yes a la carte is great, but the day when all the analog is gone, I'm not sure if there will be much a la carte., though until then I will enjoy my own packages that I make, and only pay for what I want :) Well I mite get the new AD package from NPS but there are a few channels I don't want in there, I will see...

Iv'e got 2 ST3688 receivers 1 hooked up dedicated KU and the other through my 922 4DTV receiver. It works great for C-Band free to air. The only thing is I had to write down which sat on my 4DTV went with my FTA sats. Picture quality is fantastic. However I have a 10' Channel Master dish.

sharris said:
What about any other dcII reciever. Can you slave a c/ku band dc II reciever to a ku system?
None of the US consumer models, the 920, 922 and 905 will work properly. The commercial models may work, but you will only be able to pick up FTA. You won't be able to subscibe to anything.

Shawn95GT said:
I haven't seen anything 4DTV, I have seen analog C-band but it was a while ago.

4DTV picture quality blows away anything DishNetwork or DirecTV can offer, while they're busy cramming as many transponders full of shopping channels as they can, the quality suffers too much.
MPEG2 via DBS by comparison is just flat-looking and lifeless.
Even analogue from Ku looks 10x better.

Cascade said:
4DTV picture quality blows away anything DishNetwork or DirecTV can offer, while they're busy cramming as many transponders full of shopping channels as they can, the quality suffers too much.
I've read that and since buying my HD set, I was hooked on getting better content. Voom wasn't perfect but it was as good as was readily available.

It's sad... a lot of the content coming over s-video from the CoolSat looks better than the 480p / 1080i upconverted crap coming from my Cox DVR. Of course the true HD stuff looks good.

I think a Bud & 4DTV w/ HD sidecar setup is going to be as close as to what I had with Voom as I'm going to get... and the PQ is sure to be better too :).

Shawn

Isn"t that the truth.Hopfully someday they will get the receiver up and working with programming. I sure miss thehrillermax channel.

ooooo an old thread brought back from the dead! There is programming available for the 4DTV receiver. Check out skyvision or SRL. A simple "conversion" is all that is needed. The conversion can be done by anyone and will add a new sat, X4 for the 105 degree slot and allow you to sub to Hits to Home on that bird. The two places have the details on how to do that. More info can be found here....http://www.satelliteguys.us/4dtv-discussion/236121-official-4dtv-conversion-w5-x4-services.html. Have a great day!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)