Slim Line In Puerto Rico

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TurboMazda

Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
Some where in Puerto Rico
Hello guys, if posting in wrong section please forgive me, a couple of years back a friend moved from USA to Puerto Rico and broght his DTV Slim Line, called me for installation and tried everything and only got Sat 101, the other sats didn't give me any signal, he brought the official DTV Slim Line Satfinder for this task, then I entered the satbeams dot com footprints section and found out Puerto Rico is outside the KA sat's footprint, now this past week I have seeing this Slim Line dishes installed in 3 different houses near my mom's house, it definitely looks brand new installation, have checked every time I pass if someone is in the houses and have no luck, houses always closed near by neighbor told me those people get home late at night and leave to work around 4am, this is why I decided to ask here if any of you know if DTV added Puerto Rico to the KA sat's footprint, I am considering getting a slim line sub. Thanks in advance on any info and feedback of what you think of this system's HD image quality, Turbo

Thanks for replaying, is the same oval dish with the same swimm 5 lmb set up I can see is the same skew I was using when I attempted to aim to this provider a few years back also the dish says slim line, I have install DTV before none of their set up has a skew set up, just a 4.5' dish for subs and 28 inches dish for prepaid set up single LNB, I could be wrong but it is the slim line dish I saw and worked before, I just peeked at satbeams and it seems it doesn't have a bigger footprint but it has a spot on Puerto Rico, like a single TP or more where turned ON or aimed to the Caribbean

DirecTV Puerto Rico now uses slimline dish since they started to offer HD channels. Different channel lineup, different transponders. See http://www2.directvpr.com/english/descripcion-de-canales?link=nav
I am pretty sure the PR channels are now delivered via spotbeams pointed at PR. That would mean the regular US HD CONUS channels are still not available. But it's quite possible that an existing US dish and receiver will get the PR channels if you subscribe to DirecTV PR, assuming DirecTV PR will allow you to do this..

DirecTV Puerto Rico now uses slimline dish since they started to offer HD channels. Different channel lineup, different transponders. See http://www2.directvpr.com/english/descripcion-de-canales?link=nav
I am pretty sure the PR channels are now delivered via spotbeams pointed at PR. That would mean the regular US HD CONUS channels are still not available. But it's quite possible that an existing US dish and receiver will get the PR channels if you subscribe to DirecTV PR, assuming DirecTV PR will allow you to do this..
Thanks..................................
OK check the footprint here, there is KA signal from 99west DTV11 KA Band
Code:
http://satbeams.com/footprints?lat=0&lng=-67&zoom=1&beam=6059&type=normal&name=Temporary
this one is from 103west DTV10
Code:
http://satbeams.com/footprints?lat=0&lng=-67&zoom=1&beam=6058&type=normal&name=Temporary
110west DTV5
Code:
http://satbeams.com/footprints?lat=0&lng=-67&zoom=1&beam=5591&type=normal&name=Temporary

Last edited:
Those are the spot beams directed at Puerto Rico, carrying DirecTV PR, as I suggested.....

Those are the spot beams directed at Puerto Rico, carrying DirecTV PR, as I suggested.....
That is what I was saying those KA Band were not there a few years back now there is KA Band freq directed to Puerto Rico
Sorry if I misunderstood you, my apologize I haven't practice English as much and I am very dull I admit it. Thanks for the info, I am gonna call my friend to see if he wants to try it again.

If he sets up the slimline and his U.S. receiver he won't get any channels because he needs to have his service address in PR. The only way to do this is to call DirecTV PR and subscribe. Hopefully they will allow him to use his existing equipment. But he will only get the PR selection of channels. The spotbeams pointed at PR have limited capacity so not as many channels as in the continental US.

If he sets up the slimline and his U.S. receiver he won't get any channels because he needs to have his service address in PR. The only way to do this is to call DirecTV PR and subscribe. Hopefully they will allow him to use his existing equipment. But he will only get the PR selection of channels. The spotbeams pointed at PR have limited capacity so not as many channels as in the continental US.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll try to get signal from all 5 LNBs while he goes to DTV office to handle the sub

You won't see any signals from 99c, 103ca or 103cb. The HD spotbeams are on 99s and 103s, and you will only see a few transponders

OK, there are a lot of ifs, buts and maybes about the PR service, and only someone with a close knowledge of the service can answer them.
First, PR service comes from the satellites at 110 (SD channels), 99s and 103s. In the continental US, 110 does not deliver anything. 99s and 103s are used for spotbeamed service to individual cities and CONUS channels come from 99c, 103ca and 103cb. Those last three satellites do not deliver anything to PR. On 99s, PR service comes from transponders 1 thru 6. On 103s PR uses TPs 1 thru 4.
So the questions are.
1. In PR, does the slimline LNB have a slightly different design so it points at 110 instead of 101? If so, will a slimline 5 work in PR (a slimline 3 does not see 110)?
2. Can a US receiver be used to receive the signals or is the hardware different? Presumably a PR receiver won't be able to see 101, 99c, 103ca and 103cb but since a US receiver can see 110, 99s and 103s maybe it will work if it is authorized for PR service .

I think you would need a really well informed DirecTV engineer (not a tech) to know this.....

Just guessing, but with the limited number of units needed in PR, I doubt there is any difference in the PR and US boxes.

Just guessing, but with the limited number of units needed in PR, I doubt there is any difference in the PR and US boxes.
I suspect not either, but the receivers won't get any of the stations unless they are authorized for PR - it's treated like a US DMA.

Status
Please reply by conversation.