How to backfeed a genie client

Status
Please reply by conversation.

harley1340

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2013
louisianna
I'm building a new house and I'm considering Directtv. I have my cable(s) set up to go to one location in the house, all the equipment will be in this location and I will use a hard wire remote extender to control the equipment. I have HDMI going to the location of 3 tv's and coax going to a tv in the bathroom and a guest bedroom. Instead of paying for additional recievers for these locations I am just going to backfeed the signal via coax to these two locations (I know this will only be sd but I don't really care). I'm considering the Genie and two additional clients. I see that direct had a "doggle" to convert from componant to 10pin but does directtv have a "doggle" to convert the componant out to a coax for the Genie and client? I'm 95% sure I can do this with cable (coax out is on the box), but I do have some concerns with Direct.

Thank you,

Sonny

I'm confused by your post.
If you have a genie then that will drive a TV in one room.
If you have two client boxes (C31s) in each of two other rooms attached to the genie by Coax (not by HDMI!) then you now have three rooms with TV and different channels in each room.
Now it looks like you want to feed two other rooms. If you are happy with the two other rooms showing the same picture as the genie (HR34) then you can use a component to composite adapter on the HR34, connected to a modulator which will drive the other two TVs over coax (using a 2-way splitter)

Not sure what equipment other than the HR34 you are proposing in your central location. Not sure what the other two HDMI connections are supposed to do.

Those C31 Genie clients are quite small. You could easily hide them in the rooms you're considering having service.

The clients take a special rca cable that should be supplied by the installer. You could hook that to an rf converter to mirror another location. However it would take 2 coax cables at the client location.

OP here. I'm trying to feed 5 tv's (using the genie and two clients), I want the main unit(genie) to feed my main tv, then I want a client to feed a tv in the bedroom with HDMI and also back feed the same channel to the bathroom with coax. The other client will be used to feed a third HD tv with HDMI and backfeed the same channel to a guest bedroom with coax. I don't care about HD in the bathroom or guest bedroom, I also have no problem with them showing the same channel that is on the bedroom or third HD TV.

I just found a install manual for the client, the 10 pin connection for the "doggle" is on the back of the client, I guess I could have the installer put the 10 pin to component doggle on and hook the component end to a RF modulator and run a coax from the RF modulator to the bathroom tv and do the same thing for the other client that will be used to backfeed into the guest bedroom. I assume it would work.

I know the clients are small, but I chose to have all my equipment in a central location. I've also planned my wiring so I could just put a flat screen on the wall and not worry about trying to put furniture under it to house directtv or cable boxes, all you will see on the wall is a tv. I'm also running wires so I can put a hard wired remote extender to control the direct/cable box and audio receivers for surround sound located at this central location.

I know you guys think I'm crazy and just should get two more clients instead of trying to backfeed to the bathroom or guest bedroom, but when I get my current bill with a charge for boxes on tv's that I seldom use I swear I'm going to turn them back in to lower my bill. I hate reoccuring charges for stuff I seldom use.

Last edited:
Those C31 Genie clients are quite small. You could easily hide them in the rooms you're considering having service.
The problem is that they charge the same fee that they charge for their largest DVR and seeing that line item on the bill isn't visually or financially pleasing.

At least if you use a conventional receiver (H25 excluded), you can get the right kind of outputs without having to go through too many adapters.

The problem is that they charge the same fee that they charge for their largest DVR and seeing that line item on the bill isn't visually or financially pleasing.

At least if you use a conventional receiver (H25 excluded), you can get the right kind of outputs without having to go through too many adapters.

If he orders whole home, it automatically selects genie/client equipment. Hd/dvr only can still get other equipment. It's crazy, things change so fast I can hardly keep up.

You will rue the day you made that choice.

I have a similar setup on my current tv and don't have many problems, so I wonder why you would say this, please tell me the pitfalls of having the equipment in one location. I'm a little older than most of the guys on this forum and I'm not up on all the latest technology and set ups, but I'm open to other's experience. I don't use dvd or bluray and if I did I guess I could put an av receiver in this location to control the stb and bluray. In other words, I don't see the downside of having the equipment in a central location if it's wired properly, besides, not having to find a piece of furniture to put under the tv to hide the stb and wires to tv makes mama happy.

Having all your equipment in 1 location is not a problem. The only issue I can see is the need for rf remotes vs infrared.

Having all your equipment in 1 location is not a problem. The only issue I can see is the need for rf remotes vs infrared.

That's the assumption I'm going on, problem with the RF remotes they will not control an a/v receiver (at least I haven't found one that would) so I'm having a wire pulled to do a hard wired remote extender.

That's the assumption I'm going on, problem with the RF remotes they will not control an a/v receiver (at least I haven't found one that would) so I'm having a wire pulled to do a hard wired remote extender.

Even hard wired remote extenders can be troublesome. When we did our addition 5 years ago, I wired the house for phone, video, data, etc. I also ran wires to each room for hard wired IR extenders. Well with the interference from TV's and CFL lights they were pretty much useless. I ended up going with the "Next Generation Remote Control Extender" which has a transmitter that replaces one of the batteries in the remote.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)