Please reply by conversation.

AntiMoz

Livin' the Dream
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 11, 2005
Western NY
I currently have a 3 LNB dish with two wires running underground from a pole where the dish is mounted to a 4 output multi-switch feeding 4 tuners in my house. I would like to install a Slimline dish but not want to dig under my driveway again to run 2 additional lines. Will a SWM allow me to have only two inputs from the dish and 4 outputs to my current receivers so I dont have to add wires underground? Thanks in advance.

I currently have a 3 LNB dish with two wires running underground from a pole where the dish is mounted to a 4 output multi-switch feeding 4 tuners in my house. I would like to install a Slimline dish but not want to dig under my driveway again to run 2 additional lines. Will a SWM allow me to have only two inputs from the dish and 4 outputs to my current receivers so I dont have to add wires underground? Thanks in advance.

not that I've seen or heard of... could be something 'down the road.' We all make sacrifices to be able to owe D* lots of money each month.:cool:

There is supposed to be a slimline dish with a built in SWM in development. You can do a search for SWMline to find details. It would allow one line to feed 8 tuners but there is no ETA for it at the moment.

Richard

Actually now that I think about it, you could put the SWM module near the dish with 4 lines running into it, then use 1 or both of the underground lines to feed your receivers with the appropriate splitters. All your receivers would have to be SWM compatible though. Directv won't pay for the SWM so you'd have to do it yourself.

Richard

With your current setup, you are only receiving channels from the 101 sat with the 3LNB dish.

You need to run the other two lines or do the SWM method suggested above.

Thanks everyone......looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and run the lines or wait until the new Slimline with integrated SWM comes out.

I did an install for a friend a couple of weeks ago. Her house was pre-wired with 2 wires leading from outside into a closet which had a splitter with 5 outputs to the rest of the house. I connected the 2 outside cables to the slimline. Inside I got rid of the existing splitter and connected the 2 wires to 2 power passing splitters ( JVI HFS22DN ) Then I connected the 2 outputs from one splitter to the 18v ports of a Zinwell 6x8 Multiswutch Then I connected the outputs from the other splitter to the 13v ports of the multiswitch. Now she has service to all 5 locations with 3 ports to spare with just having 2 wires in from the dish.

That won't work for all possible combinations. You need to take into account the 22kHz signal which is present for 103, 110 and 119 and absent for 99 and 101. There are four logic states:

18 v, 18v + 22 kHz, 13 v, 13 v + 22kHz. It takes four wires to be able to have each receiver independently select any of these. The only available solution with < 4 wires is SWM.

I wasn't sure if it would work or not. I only did it with one receiver. Since her house is only 2 doors down from me I'm going to take a couple of my receivers and TVs over there and check it out more closley. I will get back to you later with the results.

You're right Bob. I brought 2 receivers and 2 TVs over there. While I can get a picture in 2 rooms. It is totally unreliable. Changing a channel in one room can knock out a channel in the other. While it does not always do it. It does it enough to be a pain in the ass !! And here I was so pleased with myself too !!! lol

Quick ?!!! I want to get D at my new house comming up here in late June, but don't know if my prewires are good enough.. First of all I want 2 HD DVR's 1 reg HD Rec an 1 SD receiver. My house was wired with an outlet in everyone room. Will this work without drilling or running any more cable through the house...Thanks!!

Quick ?!!! I want to get D at my new house comming up here in late June, but don't know if my prewires are good enough.. First of all I want 2 HD DVR's 1 reg HD Rec an 1 SD receiver. My house was wired with an outlet in everyone room. Will this work without drilling or running any more cable through the house...Thanks!!

If you have only one cable per room you would need to purchase this multiswitch.

DIRECTV SWM-8 Single Wire Multi-Switch With Power Supply (8 Channel) (SWM-8) | SWM-8 [DIRECTV] | au9 au9-s au9s au 9 WBS41202NF KAKU DISH KUKA DISH KA/KU KU/KA Wide Band 5 lnb multiswitch ka ku SWM-8 SWM8 SWM 8 DIRECTV MULTISWITCH swim switches SWIM

If you have two cables per outlet then you are fine.

Crap $300 for a switch!!! I hate to ask but how about E will my set up work with 1 line per room??? But might have to work some overtime to pay for that..

There is a rumor that a new dish is coming out that has this built into it. You might want to wait until that becomes available.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)