Slimline 4 LNB install

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

scroadrunner

Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
Rhode Island
Please help!!! I am trying to install a slimline 4 LNB dish. I have it mounted perfectly. I am able to get a signal strength of 96 at 110deg on various transponders. However I am unable to get anything at 101deg or 119deg. I have read all the instructions and followed them. If anyone could help me with this that would be great. Thank you in advance for any help.

If he can't tell how many LNB's it has, maybe he really should NOT be trying this... :p

Why.
If he wants to try, thats great, let him.

Lot of the 5 lnb set up look like they are 3 lnb set ups.

OP can look at the label on the head to determine for sure.

Please help!!! I am trying to install a slimline 4 LNB dish. I have it mounted perfectly. I am able to get a signal strength of 96 at 110deg on various transponders. However I am unable to get anything at 101deg or 119deg. I have read all the instructions and followed them. If anyone could help me with this that would be great. Thank you in advance for any help.

Aligning the slimline takes a little time and patience. First, preset the EL & tilt to whatever the receiver tells you to. That's your rough adjust. Next move the AZ left & right until you hit 101 - peak that the best you can then lock that adjustment down. Now switch to 119 and move just the tilt until you find the middle of the peak. Lock it down.

Fine tuning is called dithering - here is a link to a video that shows the process, but with old hardware. Principle and the adjustments are the same though. DIRECTV Ku/Ka MPEG-4 Compatible Satellite Dish Installation Videos

To my sat guys bretheren - instead of busting someone's crank for asking the same questions you also once had - try helping out a newbie or just don't respond.

Nobody is impressed with your post count when most of it is snipe.

Just my two pennies worth.

So then guy made a mistake ... give him a break.
He's only been here a week, chances are you've scared him off, seeing he hasn't posted since.

:up:up:up

Seems like some "sat guys" have forgotten about when they were newbies - no matter how long ago.

OT: Got a PM from the OP - gonna try doing it - post your results?

Thanks For All your Hlep

I am going to go and try doing this again in a few hours from now. You have all be very helpful and my goal is to get this dialed in today.

call direct tv. Dont waste your time. If any one who has commented befor were real techs they would tell you the same thing.

As a guy who does sat installs, even I can appreciate a guy trying to do a self install.

Watch the videos, get the right tools, take a stab at it and if you can't get it, then maybe you should give D* a call. Without a birddog, sat meter, it can be hard to install a kaku dish.

Most likely he saw four lines coming off the lnb and thought logically it was a 4 lnb, just my guess.

call direct tv. Dont waste your time. If any one who has commented befor were real techs they would tell you the same thing.

Gee, your great help to the guy ....
Maybe he wants to learn how to do this kind of stuff for himself.
Those of us that do our own install all had to learn somehow/where, with quotes like yours, no one would give it a try.

Fwiw, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to do this and most of the D* techs didn't know how to do it when they got there either.

I know they make it sound like a D* tech is the ONLY ones that could possibly figure this out, but it's simply not true.

btw, you must not be a REAL tech , seeing you advised him to give up ahead of time.

Sucess

Hey everyone. I should have posted this on the 6th. I did it. I am getting high 90's and even a few 100's Thank you all so much for all the help you have given me. My father in law now wants me to install one on his house. See what you guys have created. I have told everyone I talk to that I acredit me being able to this because of people like you. THANK YOU AGAIN.

Sean

PS. adam771: Smetimes in life you have to take a chance and stick with it. This time I did that. I am sure glad I did.

Hey everyone. I should have posted this on the 6th. I did it. I am getting high 90's and even a few 100's Thank you all so much for all the help you have given me. My father in law now wants me to install one on his house. See what you guys have created. I have told everyone I talk to that I acredit me being able to this because of people like you. THANK YOU AGAIN.

Sean

PS. adam771: Smetimes in life you have to take a chance and stick with it. This time I did that. I am sure glad I did.

Glad to hear you got it fixed! BTW, was my guess correct? Were you pointing at the wrong satellite? Just curious.

Sean

Congrats on your first good alignment - you realize you are now the "sat dude" in your family right?

Now got set up a separate tool box just for your sat stuff! Start with one twice the size you think you need ;).

Sean

OK, now, IF your doing your fathers in the same general area (city) and it's the same dish, look closely at YOUR setting and jot them down.
When you set up your fathers, when your putting it together you can set the TILT and Azmith ahead of time and use that as a starting point.
Make sure you have the bolts loosened enough to turn the dish slowly, but not loose enough that you cannot tighten it when you lock down the signal.

Like Mike said, you are now the official Sat guy in your neighborhood and family :up
Good work !

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)