Slimline 5LNB vs Slimline 3LNB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sonydude1966

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
I was given an option to change my Slim 5LNB to a 3LNB. Apparently, only the LNB needs to be swapped out, dishes are the same.

I am having problems with my MPEG-4 720P broadcasts (a different thread). My LiL 720P broadcasts are unaffected with regards to my problem (7 ABC & 11 KTTV), but the higher numbered stations are affected.

Should I go for the swap, or just keep my 5LNB? I don't think changing to a 3LNB will fix my problem, but you never know. However, if it's better technology, or more future proof, I might as well go for it I suppose, fix or no fix.

Here's a thread on my problem if interested:

D* Verified MPEG4 720p Image Breakup - AVS Forum

Last edited:
there is no such thing as a slimline 3 lnb dish
You either have a 3lnb dish
5 lnb ka ku odu
or slimline 5lnb
Ok, I have a Slimline 5LNB, and they want to take the 5LNB away, and replace it with a 3LNB, keeping the same dish. Wouldn't that be a Slimline 3LNB? I changed my first post around a bit. Hopefully, less confusing.

no
that would be a 3lnb dish and I beleive you would lose your HD local Channels by doing that.
Ok, that's what I was wondering. I like my locals. I have an appointment for next Monday, and a follow-up by the escalation department this Wednesday. I'll be opting out of the change if I lose my locals.

have them replace the lnb and reaim the dish if necessary.
Dodge
Already did that three times actually. You are talking about "peaking" the dish, correct? Today was my third new 5LNB.

For some reason, I get 70's and 80's on 103, and the last 2 techs couldn't seem to get it higher, even though I bugged them about it. They said the strength was where it should be. I would have liked mid 80's on all transponders like I get on 99.

The first tech out got it up there, but no one since. Because I have this ongoing problem, I've already had 3 different techs out here re-peaking my dish. Wouldn't you know it, the first tech who got the highest signals we didn't get along. The problem was still there with the higher signals anyway, so higher strength didn't fix that.

no
that would be a 3lnb dish and I beleive you would lose your HD local Channels by doing that.

Wrong!!

There are two 3 LNB dishes. The old one was the Phase III which received the satellites at 101, 110 and 119. The new SL3 is a Slimline (the same dish as the 5 LNB version) but with a smaller LNB assembly which only receivers 99, 101 and 103. Those who receive their SD locals on 119 will lose them with this dish. There is also a SWM version of this LNB.

I believe that must have been what they were talking about. I will find more out on Wednesday. If so, would I be better off with that LNB?

Not sure how it will be much different that what you have now? Simply sees fewer orbital slots. Now if you have a bad LNB (sorry I have not kept up with your situation) that a new LNB may be the ticket.

Not sure how it will be much different that what you have now? Simply sees fewer orbital slots. Now if you have a bad LNB (sorry I have not kept up with your situation) that a new LNB may be the ticket.
Yes, I'm on my third new 5LNB assembly, so I think a bad LNB was ruled out. At this point, D* is at it's wits end trying to remedy my problem. They even checked out my electrical system in the house.

Perhaps I should try the new 3LNB if there's nothing to lose? Just don't want to make things worse or lose anything I already have.

what all has been checked other than the LNB (sorry to ask you to repeat)

LNB
cables
connectors
ground (dish and home)
home electrical
receivers
TV's

I really think this is a system wide D* issue. Everything was replaced, and electrical tested. If a 3LNB won't do anything for me, then perhaps I should stop now and just deal with the minor bother? If it is an "upgrade" from my 5LNB, then maybe I should give it a try?

Again, this is the exact issue posted over at AVS:

D* Verified MPEG4 720p Image Breakup - AVS Forum

Most everyone over there believes it's D*. If it's not D* then we all must have something in common, other than our states. There's CA, MI, OH, VA, and TN reporting the same issue.

Hmm. I nor any of my friends and relative have the reported issue.
I've only noticed it personally on 4 channels. 248, 276, 290, and 360. It happens like a flash and I didn't notice it right away. I'm not sure if it's just that people normally don't notice it, or if it's only in certain states/areas?:confused: I don't have anyone I know that has D* to compare.

Odd, considering all those are national channels I am not sure how one could explain the problem being regional; UNLESS maybe specific areas had received quite a few bad receivers, LNB or what not; BUT you stated you personally have had all that replaced. Odd indeed. I watched FXHD for hours and never saw the issue.

Odd, considering all those are national channels I am not sure how one could explain the problem being regional; UNLESS maybe specific areas had received quite a few bad receivers, LNB or what not; BUT you stated you personally have had all that replaced. Odd indeed. I watched FXHD for hours and never saw the issue.
I added a quicktime movie format file of the issue. Please note the 11 second mark is where the "stutter" happens.

Attachments

• 100_8400.mov
    3.2 MB · Views: 576
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)