slimline dish lnb removal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jkay

Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
southeast Texas
Hello,
Just joined today, but maybe shoulda joined sooner. Anyway, I have a slimline for my HD rcvr currently on the roof and works AOK. But the the deal is I want to add an additional digital rcvr for a TV elsewhere. If I remove the LNB head off the the dish to add the cable drop what can of worms have I opened up regarding aiming. Hate to screw it up, it's working great. (Even after Ike).
Any help would be appreciated before I get up one the roof...

You can knock your alignment off if you are not VERY careful. Don't lean on or pull on any part of the dish or mount.

If you take it slow, you should be OK.

Are you certain that the installer didn't plumb all four cables down to the ground block? Some do this as a matter of course.

It can't be stressed enough how touchy the Ka satellite aiming is.

Upon investigation, there is one cable to house, one ground to block. Wish he had run me addtl cables this would be a snap.

Hello,
Just joined today, but maybe shoulda joined sooner. Anyway, I have a slimline for my HD rcvr currently on the roof and works AOK. But the the deal is I want to add an additional digital rcvr for a TV elsewhere. If I remove the LNB head off the the dish to add the cable drop what can of worms have I opened up regarding aiming. Hate to screw it up, it's working great. (Even after Ike).
Any help would be appreciated before I get up one the roof...

If you have the "NEW" SMW type slimline KA/KU LNBF, then you don't need to run another cable into the house. You can just us a SWM splitter and split the one coaxial cable into several receivers.

If you have the older non-SWM KA/KU LNBF, then your options are as follows:

* Use two of the other 3 outputs on the LNBF assembly to run new coaxial cables to your new DVR. or
* Change the LNBF assembly to the SWM type and use existing one cable as explained above.

The dish is the same for SWM or Non-SWM LNBFs.

Attachments

• SWM-LNBF%20007.jpg
    SWM-LNBF%20007.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 236
about removing a slimeline dish lnb, make sure than the dish is not a SWM system. If you have a SWM system then all you have to do is add a line to the SWM system spiller. the basic spiller has four RF connectors. If you have a 5 LNB dish, you can add a new cable line to a ground block. :D

If you have the "NEW" SMW type slimline KA/KU LNBF, then you don't need to run another cable into the house. You can just us a SWM splitter and split the one coaxial cable into several receivers.

If you have the older non-SWM KA/KU LNBF, then your options are as follows:

* Use two of the other 3 outputs on the LNBF assembly to run new coaxial cables to your new DVR. or
* Change the LNBF assembly to the SWM type and use existing one cable as explained above.

The dish is the same for SWM or Non-SWM LNBFs.
Thanks for the advice from ya'll...I'm pretty sure I don't have the aforementioned New LNBF, so I'll have to remove the head assembly. Ya know I shoulda wised up when I had the installer mount the new dish, but I was so anxious to get the HD TV, the HD rcvr working for football that I overlooked the details. This all started years ago when I couldn't get local channels on Directv or over the air, so I kept the cable system running to the back of the house to rcv those. Now the cable wants me to upgrade to the next tier to rcv "premium chnls" at (I think) exorbitant rates. So at 5 bucks for an extra rcvr I'm opting for the satellite. Shoulda, coulda,woulda.

I'm opting for the satellite. Shoulda, coulda,woulda.

Yep. I never had CATV for the last 25 years since the days of C-band. At that time C-band was like having a HD picture quality compared to the lousy CATV picture then. Of course a C-band system did set you back about 2-3 grands.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)