slimline install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

erict

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Well, since the weather is getting warmer I am finally going to set up my pole and run the cable, but I have two questions.

First, can I just use regular rg6 instead of the rg6 quad cable? This cable will be installed in conduit.

Second, I will only have three TV’s. One with a dvr (only 1 line. Don’t need to watch and record different shows on this tv). One hd/dvr with 2 lines and one hd box with 1 line. So I will have a total of four lines. Doesn’t the dish have a max of four lines that can be connected to it? After that if I add any more tv’s I will need a multi switch.

#1 Does not need to be quad cable. Directv wants a min of 60% braid with a solid copper center conductor.

#2 Slimline has 4 outputs. You may want to consider using a large enough conduit to fit an extra cable or two and feed a pull string through.

#1 Does not need to be quad cable. Directv wants a min of 60% braid with a solid copper center conductor.

#2 Slimline has 4 outputs. You may want to consider using a large enough conduit to fit an extra cable or two and feed a pull string through.

Is this the standard in cable? Does home depot or lowes carry this type?

Not sure what you mean? I will be running four from the dish already. What would I use the one or two extra for?

For the cable, that is directv standard. I don't know what the home improvement stores carry.

You should only need 4 cables to the dish....unless they change it, then you will be prepared.

An extra line might be needed if you ever want to use an OTA antenna. When the lines are run, have them all go to the same location for distribution to the receiver locations. This location is where you'd install the multiswitch if/when you need more receivers.

Don't kid yourself into thinking that you'll never use both tuners on a DVR. It is just too easy to run two wires now and so hard to do it later.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)