Slimline pole mount install - Directv says yes, Halsted says no

Status
Please reply by conversation.

peelpub94

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
Hey everyone, just looking for some feedback on such a frustrating issue. I currently rent and as we all know most landlords don't want a dish mounted anywhere on the house. So we have a pole mount right now with a standard 1 LNB dish which is installed beautifully. So I've upgraded my receivers and called Directv to schedule a dish upgrade. I specifically asked the CSR (knowingly they probably don't know it all) if it's easy to just plop the slimline dish on an already installed pole mount - the answer was yes.

I was still unsure but just went along with it and crossed my fingers. So of course this morning I'm at work and the installer calls me and says "we don't do slimlines on pole mounts." I'm like here we go.......

So I've been reading through the forums here and it's quite clear to me that people can do it and have done it without issue. Can I just get some clarification here and feedback if anyone else has run into this issue and what to do about it?

I'm on Long Island the sub was Halsted who denied the install.

WELCOME!

Can you do it yourself or find a local self-installer? Is there another area install company besides Halsted?

Hey everyone, just looking for some feedback on such a frustrating issue. I currently rent and as we all know most landlords don't want a dish mounted anywhere on the house. So we have a pole mount right now with a standard 1 LNB dish which is installed beautifully. So I've upgraded my receivers and called Directv to schedule a dish upgrade. I specifically asked the CSR (knowingly they probably don't know it all) if it's easy to just plop the slimline dish on an already installed pole mount - the answer was yes.

I was still unsure but just went along with it and crossed my fingers. So of course this morning I'm at work and the installer calls me and says "we don't do slimlines on pole mounts. I'm like here we go.......

So I've been reading through the forums here and it's quite clear to me that people can do it and have done it without issue. Can I just get some clarification here and feedback if anyone else has run into this issue and what to do about it?

I'm on Long Island the sub was Halsted who denied the install.

They do install Slimlines on poles, and likely prefer to since they are on the ground and not a roof, BUT, the pole must be 2", not the 1 5/8" that you have now. You may be able to use one of these to convert it: 12 Inch Pipe Adaptor | Solid Signal [SKY1101] adaptor adapter SKY1101 12 Inch Pipe Adaptor for SuperDish mast adaptor mast adapter

Well believe it or not, I did happen to work for a local DirecTV sub when I was younger but this was right when HD just hit the market so my knowledge is outdated. I could goto them but they are so busy and haven't returned my calls so I just said F it, I'll call DTV. Man was I stupid.

I also probably could install it myself but I dont have any of the signal meters - I suppose I could do it the old fashioned way with walkie talkies.

So it does look like I'll need some sort of converter for the pole to dish mount.. I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the quick feedback!

So it does look like I'll need some sort of converter for the pole to dish mount.. I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the quick feedback!

"converter"?

I hope you are not meaning an adapter as opposed to planting a new pipe/mast of the correct dimensions? You REALLY need to use the correct pipe size for the new dish designs.

As we all know there are any number of ways to "engineer" something to work, BUT the CORRECT method as ALWAYS the BEST method. Save on issues and headaches down the road. As I always say. "work smart, not twice"... or more for that matter.

That's cool and I whole heartedly agree. Thanks again for your insight. You've been a big help.

As we all know there are any number of ways to "engineer" something to work, BUT the CORRECT method as ALWAYS the BEST method. Save on issues and headaches down the road. As I always say. "work smart, not twice"... or more for that matter.

I agree a new 2" pole is better than using an adapter. I don't know how tall the pole is, though. If it is only a couple of feet, I should think the adapter could be alright. The caveat is that I have never used one, or even seen one. Also, I have no idea what the skills of the op are. Can you install a pole, Peelpub94? It doesn't sound like Halsted wants anything to do with it.

Don't worry about it.

I just installed 2 on poles today. Drive the pole, concrete, and self tappers to hold the big ol son of a bitch AZEL on the pole. Haven't had any complaints yet, Hey that is how I have my own installed.

I agree a new 2" pole is better than using an adapter. I don't know how tall the pole is, though. If it is only a couple of feet, I should think the adapter could be alright. The caveat is that I have never used one, or even seen one. Also, I have no idea what the skills of the op are. Can you install a pole, Peelpub94? It doesn't sound like Halsted wants anything to do with it.
I have never heard of such crap..An install company that refused to do a pole mount...I would call Directv and rat them out...

are we talking inside diameter or outside? I currently have the phase 3 on a custom made mount that i could swear is 1 5/8 inside diameter...will that not work with the slimline dish? I'm getting one next weekend and I'm wondering if i should adapt it up to 2...or if I could get like a 1/4 piece of rubber and wrap it around and slip the dish over...?

Ideas?

Thanks!

are we talking inside diameter or outside? I currently have the phase 3 on a custom made mount that i could swear is 1 5/8 inside diameter...will that not work with the slimline dish? I'm getting one next weekend and I'm wondering if i should adapt it up to 2...or if I could get like a 1/4 piece of rubber and wrap it around and slip the dish over...?

Ideas?

Thanks!

It's 2 inches Outside Diameter, so your custom made mount won't work.

Yes, you could use sheet rubber to act as a filler, but you better be prepared to realign your dish EVERY time the wind blows. The 5 LNB dish is approximately 36" and acts as a big sail in the wind.

Why not do it right the first time and sink a new 2" pole and be done with it?

Skywalker sells a 12-inch Pipe Adapter for $5.99.... it's a 2.00 O.D. and they claim it works great with DIRECTV 5-LNBF Dish! There phone number is: 1-800-844-9555

don't forget, just because you get LOS for the 101 dosen't mean you will get LOS for the other 4 birds from the same location

LOL @ the ghetto install style pipe adapters. :rolleyes:

Use the proper size pipe, and if you have to use thin wall be sure to core it otherwise it will twist. And I am not talking about spinning in the ground. I mean the pole itself will twist if it gets enough wind load.

Don't drive the pole, plant it properly.

And I think I have seen robsadler's work before. I may have pix somewhere. I didn't have a work order to audit the DirecTv dish at that site so I can share those. It cost me precious minutes, as I was unable to QC the hughesnet install until I picked myself up off the ground from the ROFL-fest the AU9 "install" inspired. :eek:

eBay: DirecTV AT9/AU9 KA/KU Dish Adapter for old 1-5/8" pole (item 150133792029 end time Jun-24-07 19:49:34 PDT)

All I know is that it works just fine, unless you have it on a very tall ground pole. A tall ground pole will "vibrate" in the wind, even with an 18 inch dish.

You really need a tight clamp that doesnt move on the end of a pole. Even the slightest wobble will not work. You need rigid sleeves. The PVC fills the bill.

While the original mounting foot on a 1-5/8 inch mount itself is not strong enough to support a slimline alone, if securely mounted into solid wood with long 5/16 log screws and monopole supports, it becomes strong and very sturdy, when two monopoles are added. Since the whole structure is at least a third shorter than the two inch mounting pole, the lever arm is shorter and gets less wind load.

I'm not saying that this adapter will work on all onstalls, but it has it's place. It is NEAT and tidy, if correctly used. The quality of the workmanship has always mattered, even with the highest quality hardware.

run down to your local hardware, get some pvc couplers for 1 5/8 OD pipe. take your dremel and grind the lip out of the coupler. presto, you now have an adapter that will slip over your 1 5/8 pole, and give you the 2" you need. total spent= $2.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts