Sling adapter and Dish Online issues

I had pingplotter running for about an hour last night. During that time, I saw four packet loss events. I started at 10:10, and they occured at 10:11, 10:33, 10:57, and 1058. During the entire run, it seemed to spike to the mid 40ms about every 3-6 minutes. The rest of the time it was running below 10ms.

I ordered the switch and some cables from monoprice. I will hardwire it when those come in and we will see if that fixes it. If not, I guess I am in store for a new router. So much for a "free" sling adapter!

BTW: I like your dog! I have a beagle.

One quick question, is there any advantage to running DD-WRT on a wireless router? I have seen it mentioned here and other places.

In truth ... yes there's a huge benefit ... but not always to the average user.

Initially many users flocked to DD-WRT (tomato, openwrt, sveasoft) because it had the ability to unlock the output power for the wireless radio, a software setting for how much power the on board radio would emit. This meant that you didn't have to buy specialized "signal boosters" and could, by simply reloading the firmware (think a hardwares' OS) change a software setting to boost the power and change how far away from your access point/router you could get.

Things that kept people going with DD-WRT (and the others) was the development potential, the added features from a device that before was just limited by what the manufacture said could be done.

Think of the firmware on the router as Ford Motor Company ... telling you you can buy this Mustang, but you can only drive it on Interstate Highways ... and that if you wanted to drive it on side roads, you have to pay more for that same mustang, no modifications to the car physically.. and if that wasn't to your liking, you could buy a different model of Ford..

So users are suddenly given freedom to run a linux based embedded operating system on their router .. they started adding those "expensive" features to their "model T" router

• WDS - Wireless Distribution System, distribute wireless over several houses, several areas, a city..
  • Open-VPN & PPTP - normally a dedicated box, or feature cost add on, now running at the router for free
  • Multi-SSID - Mulitple Wireless Networks on one radio, different security, different IP's and other features (driven by running scripts)
  • Hotspot - you've been to McDonalds, Starbucks, in their day they all cost money for you to use them, or were in partnership with Tmobile, ATT, Verizon, as part of their packages, etc.. Even "ad" based where they would replace ad graphics or show pop-ups once in a while ... now these firmware replacements enable similar services, user authentication & ad revenue (note hotspotsystem counts Wendy's as one of their clients)
  • Milkfish - operate SIP/VOIP internally without needing a "Vonage" just to connect inexpensive IP phones in your house or warehouse, or small business, and add the ability to do VOIP with others (SIP) and directed VOIP providers too.
  • Advanced Router/routing Features
    • larger network? office with multiple buildings? a campus? statically route between network segments, or use a routing protocol (bgp, ospf, rip)
    • Bridging
    • Adhoc (client to client)
    • Gateway
    • Access Point
  • NAS - Network Attached Storage (router needs to have USB port)
  • Access Policies - Time of Day, Day of week, URL filtering (basic)
  • Logging and Traffic - beyond simple "bad" traffic, you can even use IPTables (linux firewalling) commands, to log or redirect traffic, etc

many routers now add some of these features ... they were forced to, once the pandoras box was opened .. they could no longer justify making a user pay twice as much to add these "special features" that required "more from" the box.. truth was the router manufacturers could no longer hide behind the "it can't do that" lie.

Some features do take a toll on performance, and other features are bolstered by newer hardware that has faster processors, and more memory ... its a balancing act given what you have, what you need, and what you can afford.

One of the recent issues that having something like DD-WRT or other open firmware has helped with, is UPnP ... older routers didn't support it (unless they ran alternative firmware ;) ) and some of them have a poor implementation of UPnP where they say they support it, but seems they have issues.. etc.. so sometimes running a different firmware shows its not the hardware that's flawed but the firmware/OS that is ... and sometimes manufacturers just aren't that quick to fix something ...

sorry for the long read ... I could've probably posted links to other sites...

For me ... the main features I use now are

• wireless power increase (upped by 20% or so)
  • static DHCP (one of my first el-cheapo's didn't have that feature!)
  • UPnP - never had a problem and most new routers are starting to fix their implementations, Linksys however still doesn't universally offer a table or list showing what ports have been opened by its UPnP server(! horrible !)
  • Open VPN - This has been the killer app for me ... VPN's are not just for businesses the concept is Trusted End points. I trust my PC, I trust my Home Network, if I'm on an open/free wireless connection, I can't trust what might be also connected to that network and listening to "me" ... So I vpn to home, and send all my traffic out from there. That protects my web passwords, my credit card transactions, etc.. I don't have to worry about the average joe logging my packets they are encrypted before they even leave my laptop. (and did I mention free? I didn't pay some vpn provider, and again I know my router, my network, who is that hosted VPN provider?)
  • bridge - with watchdog timer to keep the bridged connection up properly
  • IPTables - I block outbound SMTP, recently "played" with my sister's Iphone making all her web attempts re-direct her to http://kittenwar.com/ ... god was she pissed at me.. :D

Alrighty then!:) Actually that was some good info, and I do appreciate it. If the hardwire does not fix my issue, do you think putting new firmware on the route would? My router is listed at "wip" in the database. Any idea what that means?

Thanks, and if you are ever in Waco I will buy you a beer!

WACO! Damned it then I'd have to get one of those id's ... they still have those right? you have to have a special license or id to drink... they don't directly accept a drivers license as proof of age? (was in TX in 2001... doubt I still have that card they gave me or that it'd be valid all these years later) LOL... of course that could've just been some Texan takin' a VA boy for a few dollars and mile tall tale. :)

The WIP is "Work In Progress" ... thus they have some features working, some not, and you'd be likely in the more alpha or beta of firmware developement .... honestly ... there are lots of WIP that are working but for some bizarre issue or strongly desired feature.

As to loading it ... if your router was listed as supported without the "WIP"... yes. it would be worth it to put on there to eliminate your router's support of UPnP.

Presumably you might have an XBox or PS3 and have had some difficulty getting them to play Online Games with a warning about the firewall (your wireless router) .. but that's not always the case ... because XBox & PS3 come out with updates and game fixes more frequently than Dish does with it's Receivers.
eg: Dish has about 16 million customers, but 20 different receivers
As of March 31, 2011, there are over 53.6 million Xbox 360 consoles
As of June 31, 2011, there are over 51.8 million PS3 consoles worldwide
and of those 16 million how many have 722's or 922's which do sling? So Dish *could* have issues to fix with its UPnP implementation and not really know it, because not enough people know that's where the problem is.. etc..

but again.. WIP .. I wouldn't flash it without checking into why its still a work in progress. .. When I first got my Linksys E2100L (L for opensource Linux compatible) it was a WIP because of some slight differnces ... and the firmware they show now is not the firmware I'm running (based on recommendations in the DD-WRT Forums).

WACO! Damned it then I'd have to get one of those id's ... they still have those right? you have to have a special license or id to drink... they don't directly accept a drivers license as proof of age? (was in TX in 2001... doubt I still have that card they gave me or that it'd be valid all these years later) LOL... of course that could've just been some Texan takin' a VA boy for a few dollars and mile tall tale. :)

Special ID? The only thing I can think of is a club membership. There are a lot of Texas towns that are "dry". They get around the by-the-drink sale prohibition because they are allowed to sell to members of their private club. They sell you a private club membership for a dollar, then you can drink, because you are no longer a member of the general public, but a club member. Waco is wet now for both by-the-drink and packaged liquor sales, so club membership is not necessary.

So yer sayin' I was a member of a Texas Club? :) cool.. LOL.

yeah.. 2001 ... it was the week after 9/11 ... had to drive my sister there for training, she waited too long on hopes that airplanes would be flying again, and was flying on Delta (her employer at the time) for free ... only no planes flew till a week after she had to be in Ft Worth area..

That was also the week I cut Arkansas out of *my* U.S. of A. ... pretty nasty set of traffic tickets, honestly, I really thought I was evading a lunatic chasing me at 100+ mph, not an off duty prison guard who called "his buddies" to pull me over, yeay arkansas *that* state of mind ;)

It was in one of the steak houses ... they had an "eat it all, its free" contest on some 5 lb steak or something.. like that is "unique" in a Texas Restaurant .. :) but the alcohol club ... that was new an interesting.. never did take them up on that steak offer .. the pictures they had of the past "winners" didn't excite me enough to wanna be one.. ;)

Alright, I got my switch in. It and some cables arrived over lunch. I had time to connect, but not to test and troubleshoot. I hooked the cable from the router to the switch, from the switch to the Control 4 and to the 722k. I also made sure to disconnect the Sling Link turbo so as not to cause any conflicts or interference.

One question--I have 3 receivers--the 722k as well as a 722 and a 612. Do I need to connect all of them to the router, or will the others communicate with the 722k over the phone lines? IOW do they all need to be hooked up or just the one.

Additionally, I have TWC coming this weekend to install a new DOCsis 3.0 telephone modem and a new N router.

Last edited:
Well after troubleshooting I am still having issues. I wonder if my router is not fast enough to handle the traffic? After about 10 seconds to a minute the connection breaks up.

I think the router should be capable... could it still be an issue with its firmware? yes.. but the only way to know for sure would be to test another router, during all this I would have continued to ping the receiver (I have plenty of computers to do this with) and any resultant losses would have been resolved.

ie. there are very limited reasons you should have a dropped ping. And inside your house, there are zero reasons you should have a dropped ping (receiver reboots would be the only thing) As long as there is a lack of response from the receiver ... there's a problem.

Mitigate the wireless 'technologies' would be first on my list.. wired computer, wired receiver. no loss of pings.. then do the tests with streaming.. if you still can't stream then the packet drops were only a part of the problem ... next level up would the the gateway (your router) and at the same time.. the Cable Modem ...

but inside your house, the connection should not break and the only thing to do beyond is to monitor several things at once (ping to receiver, ping to the respective dish server you get connected to/with, and the msg.sling.com server if that's still involved). watching for any drops.. if you have any drops thats the "direction" to look

PS. and by "connection breaks up" you mean fails (errors out) or breaks up as in choppy .. sorry just re-read yours and it started me thinking maybe the problem changed .... breaking up suggests maybe set for HD rather than "good" or "better".

Last edited:
I should have been more clear. It drops the connection after 10 to 30 seconds. I will hardwire up tonight and ping the receiver.

If I have drops between my house and the Sling server, then what? does that mean the problem is my cable modem? or something else? I mentioned above that Time Warner is coming to give me some new equipment and a speed upgrade.

Thanks!

I should have been more clear. It drops the connection after 10 to 30 seconds. I will hardwire up tonight and ping the receiver.

If I have drops between my house and the Sling server, then what? does that mean the problem is my cable modem? or something else? I mentioned above that Time Warner is coming to give me some new equipment and a speed upgrade.

Thanks!
Not a problem.. I just worried it had changed and I was missing another symptom.. etc..

The main thing once wired, there shouldn't be any drops between two devices on the inside of the network (ping wise) If still loosing pings when wired, it would suggest something wrong with one side or the other (rare for an ethernet port to flake, possible for a head to be loose or wire to be frayed) but being wired is different then how you were, you were using power line the built in on the receiver side, and the adapter near your router..

Once pings are not dropping from your PC to the receiver.. then you're looking to see that the connection stays playing via DRA/DO. And if not ... troubleshooting the next issue in the line..

If the ping dropping was combined with a UPnP problem then a new router would hopefully eliminate the UPnP side of the problem.. easiest is to google search the model of wireless router, and Xbox problems.. while a different breed of device, the XBox is more demanding of UPnP and if problems are happening with that router and Xboxes then you might see problems with the sling.. etc..

I pinged it last night for about an hour. I confess that i was not hardwired (on the laptop side), but there were no ping drops. Over that hour the slowest ping was 5ms and most of them were 1ms.

I just checked it from my ipad, and the main receiver has a yellow indicator, and the other 2 are dark.

Would Port forwarding help? I saw that on an xbox forum.

Last edited:
Remote Control feature gone!
Bummer. What the heck is going on?
If the remote was an Icon that you clicked on in the interface.. that is a part of the Web Sling Player software ... its just that the download to your machine, did not have the ID and Config Strings from DISH to tell the player what buttons to use, and what to display ... so it defaulted to allowing you to have access to a visible remote controller ... its always there.. just hidden from access because dish said so.

I pinged it last night for about an hour. I confess that i was not hardwired (on the laptop side), but there were no ping drops. Over that hour the slowest ping was 5ms and most of them were 1ms.
I just checked it from my ipad, and the main receiver has a yellow indicator, and the other 2 are dark.
Would Port forwarding help? I saw that on an xbox forum.
Did DRA or DO work for you during that time? (guessing not!)

You can manually forward 5101 to your receiver's IP address, best if its setup static DHCP (ie always gets the reserved IP address so that it doesn't jump ip's by accident)... but setting a manual port forward won't guarantee anything.. hard forwards only help in problems with UPnP not working properly.. which could be a problem that's where the replacement router might make things better or in my case why I use DD-WRT ... strictly because its got a much more active user base and turn-around time for enhancement *and* fixes when something goes kablewy ...

of course it also means that there are a bazillion builds out there.. and you have to work at picking one that works reliably (most do, just some fringe function that's screwy or has some unexpected happenings)

Now ... The worst I found ... or I should say a user found ... was that their router, was blocking/dropping packets by mangling them ... instead of the packets being addressed back to the dish receiver for query/answer/syn packets... they were getting mangled to the guy's default gateway only ... and thus break his connection. In that case he *was* running DD-WRT and after having found the packet oddities, added a few stanza's to the router (dd-wrt allows you to do this, where regular OEM firmware doesn't) which corrrectly re-wrote those packets to get to his dish receiver ... what *caused* the packets to be mangled.. no one currently knows...

I don't know what to do. Since I received my sling adapter I have done the following:
1. Installed a switch and hardwired my 722k receiver to my router
2. Upgraded my internet service to TW Extreme--20mb down, 2mb up. It came with a DOCsis 3.0 Modem/Router--a Motorola Surfboard SBG 6580. I configured it to static DHCP, and forward port 5101 to the IP for the 722k. UPnP enabled.
3. I have rebooted the router, the receiver, and the veiwing platforms (PC and iPad) multiple times, and made sure to connect the Receiver after each reset.
4. i even moved the Sling Adapter from the rear USB port to the front.

Dish online is a jumbled mess--the DVR link is not hot, the guide is empty, and the live TV button is not hot. DRA somehow got disassociated with the 722k, and now it cannot see that the receiver is online and will not get past the setup screen. The "color lights" on the Ipad app are always yellow.

I know that the sling adapter was essentially free ($99 with a $99 rebate), however, it is very frustrating that I cannot get this to work right. It has not worked since I got it. I know most people would not have put this much effort into it and just thrown the dang thing away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts