Sling adapter and multiple users

BishopLord

Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Sling adapter and multiple users (question answered)

I'm new to Dish Network so I'm learning as I go. This morning I called Cust. Support and asked if I could have a separate login for my wife. I was told that the only account that can log in and access the account was the one that was used during setup (which is me). Now I have no problem giving my wife the login and password, however, what about this Sling service? For example, what if I'm viewing a Dish program (live tv, DVR, etc) remotely on my portable device and she's would like to login and do the same with her portable device while she's out and about. Does anyone know if we could be logged in at the same time using the same login credentials? (Almost sounds self explanatory, but I'm a bit confused about the Dish commercial stating you can take the TV [TV Everywhere] with you and it seems like it's a family thing, but how can the entire family use the same account login? Or am I way off base as it's for one person's use only?)

Last edited:
I can't speak for this device, but slingboxes only allow for on person to view at a time. I doubt this would be any different.

I do, too. Seems similar to the Netflix streaming service (only on 1 device at a time), however, this "TV Everywhere" campaign seems to me like it's something the whole family could use. I guess I'm wrong.

Just like Netflix you get one login and password to watch shows online. The same with DISH.

I don't agree with it myself, as I dont want my kids to have full access to my DISH Network account but thats the way it is for now.

I've had more than one netflix enabled box on at one time. no problem.

You're right. I just tried it. I had a Netflix session running on my laptop and I was watching Nip/Tuck and then I went over to my theater room and streamed Zombieland from my Instant Queue using my Blu-Ray player. Worked perfectly.

However, I remember about a year ago I tried doing this with my HTPC and with the Xbox 360 and got the message, but now, the only way I receive the error message is if I opened a Netflix session on two separate browser tabs on the same computer:

100_0030.jpg

Correct. Depending on what plan you are on, you can stream simultaneously on up to 4 devices @ the same time.

i.e.: 1 DVD @ a time plan--1 device streaming @ a time.
2 DVDs @ a time plan--2 devices may stream @ the same time.
3 " " " --3 " " "
4 " " " --4 " " "

Ed

no, you can stream simultaneously on up to 6 devices. that is the way it was a while back.

sling is single user and i doubt the dn version will be any different.

Correct. Depending on what plan you are on, you can stream simultaneously on up to 4 devices @ the same time.

3 " " " --3 " " "
4 " " " --4 " " "

Ed

Ok, that makes sense now. When I first subscribed, it was 1 DVD out at a time + streaming, so that explains why I couldn't have streaming on more than 1 device. Up until I got the email this afternoon, I was on the 3 discs out at a time + streaming tier --- until I found out today they're going to raise it another $4 starting in Jan. I've now dropped it back down to 2 out at a time as that price hasn't been affected.

Well, I hope Dish will allow multiple users sometime in the near future.

3 " " " --3 " " "
4 " " " --4 " " "

Ed

The trick would be if you can stream to different DNS IP's at the same time. Like stream to your PC at your house and have me stream at the same time from your account at my house. Bet that can't be done! :)

The sling is limited to one connection at a time as it has only one encode / stream engine. In addition programmers would squash the Slingbox if it streamed more then 1 stream at a time.

3 " " " --3 " " "
4 " " " --4 " " "

Ed

I thought the same thing too so i had the 2 disc plan for a few months since we have 3 devices and wanted to watch on at least 2 at the same time. However, I later found out around the net that there is some kind of issue with netflix and older devices not working and therefore they allow two streams on the 1 disc plan, so if you want two you just need the 1 disc plan. switched last month and it has been working the same like before. Also, it seems that the pc does not count as a device, because while we were on the 2 disc plan I could watch on the xbox, ps3 and pc at the same time, but if i tried with the ps3, xbox, and blu ray player it did not work. Still works with the 2 devices and pc on the 1 disc plan.

And the 6 devices is how many you can have registered at the same time, the limit is 4 streams at time however on the 4 disc and up plans.

Same here, we have Netflix via our Wii in one room and via our Sony BluRay player in another, and I've been able to stream different shows to each at the same time under the same login with on problems. I was hoping the Sling login using the Dish Adapter would be similar, but I guess not if it has one tuner dedicated to sending content through to the Internet.

old corps said:

3 " " " --3 " " "
4 " " " --4 " " "

Ed

Correction.the more discs you take out the more netflix ready devices you are allowed to have, but you are only supposed to use one at a time when you go to view the movie.
Anyone know when thrill be a an app for netflix on a droid?

Correction.the more discs you take out the more netflix ready devices you are allowed to have, but you are only supposed to use one at a time when you go to view the movie.
Anyone know when thrill be a an app for netflix on a droid?

Wrong, on all plans you can have up to 6 devices registered on the account. The number of devices you can use at the same time up to 4 is related to the number of disc plan you have. But as I stated above, the 1 disc plan does allow for 2 streams at the same time.

That's what i said or ewas trying to say. up to six registered and how many viewed at once depends on how many discs taken out. but as disucssed here one can view more than one at once even with the one disc at time program. now i didn't know they din't count pc's as a device.

GoogleTV

Losing my HD channels end of the year?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts