Sling Adapter Does Computer have to be on?

rocko

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 23, 2004
I've got the sling adapter and was wondering-Does the home computer have to actually be on for it to work on my Motorola Android phone? Common sense tells me that the router has to be on but the computer itself shouldn't have to be on-I mean who would want to leave their computer on at home the whole time your gone on vacation? I have found that the Dish App doesn't really work all that great on the 3G. It seems to work ok on WIFI but not that great on the 3G. I hope this makes sense.

Nope, your computer does not have to be on for your Android phone to view content from your DISH receiver. As long as your router is working it will connect fine.

And you can turn off any wireless feature while on vacation, while leaving the hard wired connections live.

I think he means that the receiver is connected by Ethernet wire to your router so there is no need to leave the wireless features of the router turned on. That way no one can hack your system while you are away. You will be communicating with the receiver via the Ethernet to router to internet to Dish.

Thanks-actually my receiver "DVR" is connected to my router via Dish wireless connector-so I assume both my ethernet router and wireless both have to be on for it to work with the Dish App on my Android phone.

They would have to guess my router password to get on, but I know many routers still have their default password in, including my neighbors 2 doors away, who just moved away. That was easy to get on.. It was like fresh out of the box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)