Sling Adapter / Extender setup

mfoster711

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
College Station, Tx
I just had one of those head slap moments where I believe I discovered a big fault in the Dish setup I was considering. Would somebody please confirm my issue with the following setup

Planned to have a 722 with a Sling Adapter installed on my living room HD TV. Sling Extender would be used on Office HD TV. The TV2 out signal would go to by bedroom TV which happens to still be SD for the time being. I was thinking this would allow me to have 3 TVs sharing one DVR and 2 of the TVs would be HD. But:

1) Could the office TV and bedroom TV be able to watch different live programs at the same time?
2) Could the office TV watch a DVR recording while the bedroom TV watches live TV?
3) Could the office TV and bedroom TV watch different DVR recordings at the same time?
4) Am I correct that what I am watching on the living room TV, whether is Live TV or a DVR recording, is really irrelevant to what I can watch on the other 2 TVs?

There is no way to watch three things at the same time.

The office would always be "TV2" (as that is all sling uses) so office and bedroom would always be viewing the same thing (live or recorded) as long as the bedroom is tuned to the TV2 output. However, the 722 outputs both the TV1 and TV2 signals on the coax at different channels. The bedroom could watch the modulated TV1 feed while the office watches the sling TV2 feed.

To sum up, the bedroom could watch either the TV1 or TV2 streams. The office would always be restricted to the sling TV2 stream. The living room could watch either TV1 or TV2(in SD) if you hook up either the coax or composite TV2 output to the living room TV.

Hello, mfoster711! After taking a look at your post, I found it interesting and wanted to help you with it. The answer to your first three questions is no, and yes to the fourth one. TV 3 will watch the same programming it's mirrored to. TV1 will have HD while TV2 will be strictly in standard definition. The third TV, the mirrored TV, will be strictly in standard definition, as well.

Hope that helps!

However, the 722 outputs both the TV1 and TV2 signals on the coax at different channels. The bedroom could watch the modulated TV1 feed while the office watches the sling TV2 feed.
I never realized that was an option. I just played with it a little to see how it works and have one question. In my bedroom, if I decide to switch back and forth between the TV1 and TV2 signal, will I need 2 remotes to control different feeds? 1 UHF remote for TV1 and 1 UHF remote for TV2?

This option gives me a little more to think about but still far from what I was hoping originally.

In my bedroom, if I decide to switch back and forth between the TV1 and TV2 signal, will I need 2 remotes to control different feeds? 1 UHF remote for TV1 and 1 UHF remote for TV2?

Probably would need two remotes. In theory you could just flip the key in the remote and change the address. For an occasional switch that may be OK, but its not something my wife would put up withi if she had to do it regularly.

JM42 said:
Probably would need two remotes. In theory you could just flip the key in the remote and change the address. For an occasional switch that may be OK, but its not something my wife would put up withi if she had to do it regularly.

Yes, 2 remotes would definitely be needed. One controlling each tuner. Flipping the key i think would become too cumbersome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts