Sling Adapter over Wifi

Purp1eOne

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Before the switch to dishonline.com my sling adapter used to work. Now I get error 36.

I haven't used it in a while but I tried the other day and it works on one of my PCs that is connected to my router via a LAN cable but three other PCs no longer work via Wifi.

Performing the online test on the dishnetwork site says that the connection and PCs are cable of supporting TV everywhere. I performed the Vudu bandwidth test and I am able to view 1080P over my wireless connection and with HBO go I have no problems.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be? Otherwise I have a dust collector.

Another question is there anyway to get dishonline to work on the Playstation 3?

First .. you didn't say which receiver you have.

Second ... that it works with a wired pc suggests the problem is wireless traversal or loopback issues on the wireless.

When you're normally in a wireless network, the wireless router is your gateway ... and for any other wireless device to see the *next* wireless device they have to go back to the gateway and redirect from there. The other type of network where this would not be needed is the "ad-hoc" network but this doesn't give access to the internet.

What ever changes dish made in their IPVod stuff when they were rolling it out.. it seems to have caused a bit of issues for many people.. and this error 36 (2)? message is possibly part of that. Unfortunately it requires someone with far more networking skills or time and the troubles on their hands, to investigate and find proof positive.

you could try temporarily running an ethernet cable between the router & the receiver ... if this works, then you know for sure its the wireless component that's causing the bulk of your issues. Knowing that, you could setup a second wireless network in your house, with an inexpensive wireless router in AccessPoint / Bridged mode. The access point would announce the path to your dish receiver, so that traffic would flow to it, rather than back to your gateway and get lost.

The added benefit, is by adding a second wireless network, you can have two streams at 8 megs without one effecting the other ... ie.. if you're on a wireless laptop .. and you stream SHQ / Near HD from the dish receiver ... the wireless airwaves are filled with about 16 megs of traffic.. 8 megs from the receiver to the wireless router ... then 8 megs from the wireless router to your laptop...

you create two separate wireless networks (but still on the same IP subnet) you have 8 megs available for your laptop (and more) and a separate 8 megs to the dish receiver. Causes less congestion and contention for wireless access time. You would just need to put the Access Point about 5 to 10 feet away from your main wireless router ... connect between them with Ethernet, then choose a second SSID and let the channels float on "auto" ... change the network SSID & Passphrase on the dish receiver side so its going to the access point's wireless not your main wireless ... you should still run UPnP on your main wireless gateway as that device is the one that is your gateway to the internet.

First off, as TG2 suggests, you need to run a cable as a test.

If it works, you can pretty much give up on blaming DISH Network as you've proven that you have a networking issue (regardless of how well it worked or for how long).

Comparing other devices (consoles, computers, etc.) is pointless unless they are connected identically.

1. ViP722
2. The ViP722 receiver is connected to my router via a LAN cable
3. My router is Belkin F7D8301 v1 which is capable of Dual Band Networking. The wireless PC I want to use to watch with is the only device on the 5 GHz channel.
4. The pc that does work is connected to my router via a LAN cable.
5. Since I have a dual band wireless router is it basically doing the same thing you suggested?

Last edited:
Dual band... is it simultaneous dual band? And does it allow you to have separate SSID's?

if so.. then it usually will for *bandwidth* purposes but *not* for the Loopback/wireless to wireless... the only way to know for sure on the bandwidth side, is to have one device that is G only, and a device N only and have them show you the bandwidth they are consuming at the same time ... its more complicated but you'd setup a load server via ethernet to your router.. and have both wireless G & wireless N devices access that load server

your wired computer could be the "Server" in respects... if you tried temporarily using an FTP server on it ... and then attached to your wired PC from your wireless G & N devices ... a regular "Windows file transfer" doesn't perform as well as FTP does ... there's overhead from windows that slows that type of stuff down ... but it might still give you an idea. Use a file like an ISO image ... like download a Live Linux CD to your wired computer.. then start the copy operation using the laptops.. (ie. don't CTRL+C on the wired computer and paste *to* the laptops ... get on the laptops connect back to the wired pc's hard drive and copy from it)

As for the separate wireless network .. no even though you have dual band and even if it treats them as separate wireless networks it most likely will not work for wireless to wireless device because of forwarding ... how to make one wireless device traverse the network. Not all routers have the problem .. nor all firmwares for those routers (I use DD-WRT on mine, and the newer versions have issues with traversal due to Loopback being disabled)

You could also be having a UPnP related issue in that some devices seem to not be able to cross properly from internal network to internal network when the device is setup with UPnP (or port forwarding) ... the router seems determined to either not forward wireless to UPnP devices or drops packets as some network oddity (again more of a loopback issue)

A good explanation of NAT Loopback first 3 paragraphs NAT Loopback Routers - OpenSim
also noticed they list some of the 2wire routers as capable of Nat loopback and others not... which *could* be another reason this is happening for others with 2wire modems!

You should try hooking via Ethernet with the laptop (turn off the wireless on the laptop, don't leave it enabled while testing ... if you don't have a physical on off button, then the wireless symbol should be on one of the function keys you'd hold your Fn key down when you press that function key). If you're still unable with the laptop to connect to the 722 ... same error ... then some software on the laptops may be causing the problem... disable firewall, disable antivirus, disable *any* "downloader" applications you have..

Now ... the 722 .... L721 caused some form of change.. seeing that there may be a new issue with NAT Loopback maybe that's the issue, that they've changed the port structure from External is one port, Internal is a second one, to only 1 port and thus the local to local fails... purely open thoughts there, haven't looked yet for proof but it seems plausible.

In any case... when L721 came out the widest sudden rash of problems started occuring with Dish showing receivers "Off Line" and this problem has continued for the 722's (non-k) now that they are running L722 firmware.

these 722's almost makes me wish I had an effected one to test/play with to find the true source of the problem.. but keep plugin' away.. eventually something will cause the problem to be found and mitigated short term.. long term we need Dish to find and fix these issue..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)