Sling Adapter: Unable to watch recordings

grettman

Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
Bristow, VA
All,

I received the recently released sling adapter yesterday and connected it to my VIP 722. I am able to watch realtime TV on my iPhone with no problems. However, whenever I select a show that I recorded, it streams live TV instead. I have tried this with just about all my recordings. Same problem. I have rebooted my receiver; unplugged it; waiting until the 3am update; and I even switched the sling adapter to another VIP 722 in my house!

Get this - I can watch my recordings on via the web interface just fine.

Another problem I have, regardless if I am trying it on the iPhone or via the web, is being able to delete recordings. I get the error message unable to delete recording, an unknown error has occurred.

Is anyone else having these problems? It is very frustrating because I am at a loss on what to troubleshoot next!

I did call them. Oh boy don't get me started on that! Suffice it to say - they couldn't help. The device is so new, I don't think they are ready to support it.

It would make me feel much more comfortable if I know that someone else is having this problem. Just to reiterate - I can watch live TV but I CANNOT watch a recording. When I go to watch a recording, I am being fed live TV.

Anyone else with this exact same problem? I am using and iPhone 4 and I confirmed this morning, my wife has the same problem on her 3G.

No I closed the app, made it so it logged in again. If I just hit the home button (on my Droid) it doesn't really close the program. So I have to close it so the next time it logs in, and then it seemed to work fine.

On my Android app, I can watch satellite recordings, but not OTA (mpeg-2) recordings. Selecting one of these just results in the live feed.

All,

A friend of mine was able to get a hold of a Dish tech who was actually customer service centric and knowledgeable of the the product. Go figure on that. Anyway, the problem was caused by being in single vice dual mode. The Sling adapter requires that you be in dual mode and NOT in single mode. It must be able to "hijack" the TV2 tuner to perform. Therefore, it is recommended that you have your recordings default to to TV1. The steps we followed were as follows: Plug in your Sling adapter. Wait a minute or more. Unplug your receiver. Wait 10 Seconds. Switch to dual mode. Ensure your Dish account on the iPhone is logged off and the app is closed. Restart app. Login. Ensure you are pointing to the right receiver. The key thing is that TV 2 must be available for the Sling player to use!

This worked for him and me so I am confident it will work for anyone else. Apparently not many folks out there use their receivers in single mode. For those who do, you can't with the sling player if you expect to be able to watch DVR recorded programs.

Everything seems to be working great for me, but I have the 922 so I can't help you with any possible sling adapter problems cause mine is built in. I can watch and delete recordings just fine. Very awesome. Never thought TV over any cell phone would ever work as a technology but it works amazingly. Like holding your entire entertainment system in the palm of your hand. Growing up in the 80's I never thought I'd ever see the day, but it has arrived!

I have the same problem. Here's my thread over at the DISH Network Support Forum --> Iphone Won't Play Recorded Programs

Since the receiver automatically switches to dual mode when I log on from the web or phone, AND I can watch recordings from a PC browser, this really seems like an iPhone app bug to me. I'm not sure how we generate some investigation. Is there a Dish Network iPhone app forum somewhere? I too have always found Dish tech support to be rather useless.

My Android app running on a Samsung Behold 2 has a more specific bug: it can't play back OTA recordings. It will play back satellite recordings.

I have the same problem. Here's my thread over at the DISH Network Support Forum --> Iphone Won't Play Recorded Programs

Since the receiver automatically switches to dual mode when I log on from the web or phone, AND I can watch recordings from a PC browser, this really seems like an iPhone app bug to me. I'm not sure how we generate some investigation. Is there a Dish Network iPhone app forum somewhere? I too have always found Dish tech support to be rather useless.

I went to your other site and was able to get DVR to work on my i-Pad. Switched to Dual mode before starting Dish Remote Access.

Dan

I went to your other site and was able to get DVR to work on my i-Pad. Switched to Dual mode before starting Dish Remote Access.

Dan

But since it works with the PC even if you log into Dish Remote Access while the receiver is in single mode, would you agree that this seems like a consistent, repeatable bug?

Mike

Yes, I agree. One little problem now is that when I log off I can't use pip on my 722. Later I might try turning dual on and then off, see if that fixes. The blue dual light does go off when I end Sling session, but still no pip.
even though the blue dual mode light was off, I pushed it once and it didn't come on as it normally does, now pip works.
Dan

Last edited:
Yes, I agree. One little problem now is that when I log off I can't use pip on my 722. Later I might try turning dual on and then off, see if that fixes. The blue dual light does go off when I end Sling session, but still no pip.
even though the blue dual mode light was off, I pushed it once and it didn't come on as it normally does, now pip works.
Dan

If you go to the app store and look up the app (with your ipad or iphone), there is a button for reporting issues. I've reported this. I'd urge you to do the same - maybe if they get multiple complaints, they'll give it some attention.