Sling box question

Claude Greiner

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Detroit - The Paris of the Midwest
I don't know the right forum, but I need a sling box for a Directv headend.

Does anyone know if you still have to open ports in the router to make it work, or are sling boxes now plug and play with no router configuration?

Slingbox recommends that you use component connection for best HD, also to avoid being blocked by HDCP. Maybe this question should be in the DirecTV forum.

Hi Claude, as mentioned above you'll likely need to use component video due to HDCP.
As for port forwarding, it is typically not necessary anymore unless they are using an old router or a router that has restrictions that stop it from happening automatically. From memory it uses UPnP or something like that to configure most routers automatically now.

So I get the sling box, and of course it's component video only.

Sling recommends this 3rd party adaptor that passes the HDMI and splits off the component video for $49.99

Of course it's out of stock, and I had to go on eBay and get an HDMI Splitter add component video converter.

Sling recommends this 3rd party adaptor that passes the HDMI and splits off the component video for $49.99

Of course it's out of stock, and I had to go on eBay and get an HDMI Splitter add component video converter.
Return everything and get this Slingbox 500 Claude. I have mine connected both HDMI and Component. Works great. http://www.slingbox.com/Products/Slingbox500/Features.aspx

You must have gotten one of the Slingboxes with only component or composite like the M1, M2. or 350. The Slingbox 500 still has HDMI and component and composite and you can have multiple boxes connected to the SB 500 such as a TiVo with HDMI connection and a Dish box using the Component connection and then select which you want to Sling from your remote location. Also the SB 500 can be set up with on-screen step-by-step, while the other latest gen Slingboxes are set-up via web, I'm pretty sure. The SB 500 is still being sold. You can find them on Amazon or other on-line retailers and even at Slingbox direct at their website.

It seems Sling wants to avoid the negative experience of Sling users who use HDMI for their boxes that have HDCP lock-downs on certain channels, so Sling has decided to just not bother having the HDMI and provide the guaranteed success of component and composite. I can't blame them because many people blame the Slingbox product and don't understand they need to use component if they have lock-downed channels.

However, as stated, the HDMI connection is subject to HDCP and may not pass some channels that are using the HDCP. Component should ensure ALL channels are slinged with no problems, at least that has been my experience.

Let me also say that my entire Slingbox experience has been greatly positive. All the crying about ads on the web-player are for nothing. Ads do not appear in full screen and--even better--using the Pop-up Player option is always with NO-ADS. Further, watching content remotely using my tablets I have NEVER seen as ad.

WARNING: Slingbox web-player for PC may not work for browsers no longer supporting 32 bit applications such as Firefox who have ceased supporting 32 bit extensions/programs. I think you can view using the Chrome web player (let's not even deal with IE; it is so dangerous). Just a heads up if you can't find success using the webplayer on Firefox, but mobile devices like phones and tablets are still working just fine and even casting to a Roku still works. Sling is supposed to be working on have the webplayer compatible with Firefox 64 bit only option, but no time frame given.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts