SLing funtctionality in 922 is worthless

blackjackmark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
Central IL
I have the latest firmware on the box and the latest versions of both Firefox and IE, and the latest Dish Remote Access versions for both the iPad and iPhone...NONE of them work reliably. I'm on vacation and looked forward to getting caught up on some TV that's been piling up on the DVR, but all I continually get is frozen images. On the iPhone and iPad, it will start to stream a recording, but anytime I hit one of the fast forward buttons or the 30 second skip it freezes. So I thought, well, I'll drag the laptop out, maybe the apps aren't up to snuff yet. Unfortunately I get the same result.

I have rebooted the receiver remotely a half a dozen times with no better results. I was able to stream about 50 minutes of one program, but then it froze, and I've never been able to get the stream back to the same place in that particular program.

I honestly didn't realize I was signing up for such a buggy device when I got it a few months ago. I've been a customer of Dish for over fifteen years...I'm ready to call them back and tell them they can shove this receiver.

It is only as good as your home internet speed. You need to have a high bandwidth. Once in a while it also helps to reset your DVRs internet connection.

Also, if you have a few things connected to your home internet connection or anything connected via Wi-Fi, or other computers and electronics using your home router that your DVR is using, then you need to shut all that stuff off cause it is sucking up all your router's bandwidth. That should greatly improve your quality of streaming. If you want to run multiple internet connections you need to upgrade to a higher internet speed.

Dish network says you need at the very least 1.5 Mbps downstream and 150 Kbps upstream (for sling player mobile) to 600 Kbps (for Dish remote access on your computer). They also have three routers listed on their site that they recommend using as well as Hardware and Software requirements. Double check all that stuff and it should stream your DVR just fine. Mine plays great in real time with no lag issues what so ever. Just like holding a full DVR and TV in the palm of my hand. Truely cutting edge stuff.

Last edited:
I have the latest firmware on the box and the latest versions of both Firefox and IE, and the latest Dish Remote Access versions for both the iPad and iPhone...NONE of them work reliably. I'm on vacation and looked forward to getting caught up on some TV that's been piling up on the DVR, but all I continually get is frozen images. On the iPhone and iPad, it will start to stream a recording, but anytime I hit one of the fast forward buttons or the 30 second skip it freezes. So I thought, well, I'll drag the laptop out, maybe the apps aren't up to snuff yet. Unfortunately I get the same result.

I have rebooted the receiver remotely a half a dozen times with no better results. I was able to stream about 50 minutes of one program, but then it froze, and I've never been able to get the stream back to the same place in that particular program.

I honestly didn't realize I was signing up for such a buggy device when I got it a few months ago. I've been a customer of Dish for over fifteen years...I'm ready to call them back and tell them they can shove this receiver.

I found this to be true when I had the 922 also. I decided the 922 was not for me due to this issue . I still haven't decided if I want the sling adapter yet either. I don't really miss it, or the extra $4.00 fee included with the dvr monthly fee that the 922 had either. I traded my 922 back in for a much more reliable 722k. But Charlie said the new "923" will be much better with built in google revue web browser. Well see, come next month at CES, if there is such a box.

It is only as good as your home internet speed. You need to have a high bandwidth. Once in a while it also helps to reset your DVRs internet connection.

Also, if you have a few things connected to your home internet connection or anything connected via Wi-Fi, or other computers and electronics using your home router that your DVR is using, then you need to shut all that stuff off cause it is sucking up all your router's bandwidth. That should greatly improve your quality of streaming. If you want to run multiple internet connections you need to upgrade to a higher internet speed.

Dish network says you need at the very least 1.5 Mbps downstream and 150 Kbps upstream (for sling player mobile) to 600 Kbps (for Dish remote access on your computer). They also have three routers listed on their site that they recommend using as well as Hardware and Software requirements. Double check all that stuff and it should stream your DVR just fine. Mine plays great in real time with no lag issues what so ever. Just like holding a full DVR and TV in the palm of my hand. Truely cutting edge stuff.

Thanks for the thoughts but speed is not the issue It's hardwired and the only device on the network right now. Speed is not the issue as when it does stream it's showing over 1 Meg downstream to my devices. The picture will stream...I just cannot use FF or rewind to manipulate where I am at int eh program.

Same here. I started a DVR recording from my iPad, and hit the 30-second forward skip button. That locked it up, and from that point on I couldn't do anything via Sling.

Very buggy. "TV Everywhere, Sometimes."

Even repeated rebooting via the web-based software (a feature that should also be supported by the iPhone/iPad software) does not fix it. It only works about 10% of the time. It's like being in Vegas playing the slots...it pays off just often enough that I keep playing, but with this I'm losing my sanity, not my money!

Adding agreement with above. Trying to use Sling with 922 while traveling over the Holidays. Iphone app is much more stable, but the screen is to small for me. On the laptop (XP) a single skip forward frequently freezes and locks the sling app either in firefox or IE. Using the fast forward 4x etc also frequently freezes the sling app. DIsh should be providing refunds to all customers for the sling charge on the 922.

I don't have any bandwidth issues (knock on wood) but it does pretty much kill any recording that's going on if I attach via sling, not to mention it replaces the video out put on video one with the video from the second receiver, but leaves the audio from the first receiver. Worse than useless if you ask me, since you can actually mess up recordings in progress.

F.y.i. There its an update to the android dish client available now (version 1.1) that says it has higher resolution and 'numerous bug fixes'. Just downloaded and haven't tested it yet, but I still feel that most of these problems are in the 922 firmware more than anything.

I agree that the Sling feature is unreliable at this point.

I think they just implemented a NEW feature also... where it lets you watch about 3 seconds then auto hits 30second skip. (Awesome.., just think of the time savings.., you can watch every show on your DVR in 2-3 hours!)

Today I watched about 1 show and yesterday about 3 before that started happening.

My Internet is RR Extreme at home and 20/20MBit Fiber at work.

Going to reboot the receiver remotely to see if that at least resolves itself.

Sling continues to be useless with PC (IE or Firefox) I see this message more then I see Video

There was a problem connecting to your Slingbox (33).

Try connecting again. If that doesn't help, you may need to reboot your Slingbox.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the Sling feature to my iMac as of late. Many of the quirky bugs have gone and it has for been functioning nominally. I use both Safari and FireFox with no issues........lately. In the beginning the Sling feature barely worked, so all considered things with the 922 and Sling have greatly improved....at least for me. There more info at "DBS" as well as dish support.....sort of......."dish support" being somewhat......:censored:

I have rebooted the receiver remotely a half a dozen times with no better results.

Could you tell me how to remotely reboot the 922? Thanks!

I'm also finding the Slingbox feature of the 922 pretty useless. I just had a 922 installed in my bedroom, mainly to get HD in there. So far the receiver leaves a lot to be desired. When I can get remote viewing working on my iPhone 4 the picture quality is pretty bad. I have a "real" Slingbox hooked to the 722 receiver I'm using with the TV in my living room and it works great - always connects over both Wi-Fi and AT&T's 3G network and the picture is excellent. To be fair to the 922, however, remote viewing does work ok on the 2 laptops I've tested it on. Both are running Windows 7. However, I use the iPhone, not the laptops, to remotely watch TV 99% of the time.

FWIW, the Dish Network installer who put in my 922 says there is a firmware upgrade scheduled for February 15th which will add 2nd TV functionality. I'm hoping it will fix some of the other problems with the 922, assuming that the upgrade actually happens, of course. :)

Last edited:
Sling continues to be useless with PC (IE or Firefox) I see this message more then I see Video

There was a problem connecting to your Slingbox (33).

Try connecting again. If that doesn't help, you may need to reboot your Slingbox.

I get same message. Never been ever to hook up since I received my 922. Always error message ....."Try again" thingy. I have 6mps dsl down and .6mps up. I give up. lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)