Sling mobile for IPAD

Neon8

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Illinois
Just got email today from slingmedia. Text as follows. Hope it works with 922 .

SlingPlayer Mobile for iPad is about to launch and you're going to love it. When it becomes available it will be priced at $29.99, the same as all of our SlingPlayer Mobile applications. The new app will take full advantage of the iPad's beautiful display.

The new SlingPlayer Mobile for iPad will only work with the Slingbox PRO-HD and Slingbox SOLO. Legacy Slingboxes, like the Classic, TUNER, AV and PRO, do not have the hardware capability to stream at the iPad's higher resolution. This means that if you own a legacy Slingbox, you will want to upgrade it.

If you have already purchased SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone, it will continue to work in "Compatibility Mode" on the iPad. The iPhone version of the app will stream from all Slingboxes, but not at the higher quality resolutions of the iPad app.

damn again when will planes get fast internet to stream? Thanks for the heads up that means I better have a few shows on the pad so I am not bored to death.

Hmmm, I have a 922, paid for the iPhone version but got reimbursed by Dish. I have a hard time seeing them charge again in light of how they have been with the iPhone version for Dish customers, but who knows. I am really looking forward to higher-res streaming

Remember when the Android version of SlingPlayer was released that the press release specifically said that DISH customers would not be getting refunded the purchase price of that app because they intended, and still do, to have the free remote access app for Android include streaming. Thus making the need to refund customers unnecessary. Same thing is going to happen with the iPad. Could they make a version of the SlingPlayer native to the iPad and call it SlingPlayer HD and charge people again for it? Other Apple app makers do it, no reason why they can't. (Except for some of their customers thinking they are jerks for doing so.) They could easily make it a universal app, they just choose not to.

I wonder if the iPad app really does work on the 922. On the Slingbox site there's a place to put in your email to be notified when it's out, and a dropdown list to indicate which Sling device you have - the 922 isn't on the list...

Larry

I wonder if the iPad app really does work on the 922. On the Slingbox site there's a place to put in your email to be notified when it's out, and a dropdown list to indicate which Sling device you have - the 922 isn't on the list...

Larry

Because the DISH Remote Access app is the official DISH solution for streaming. SlingPlayer is technically for the other Sling products.

Take a look at the video that was posted above. The Sling they are connecting to looks like it's attached to a 722k. I bet whoever shot that video is also using the Sling Adapter for the 722/722k. Look at how the device changes channels. All three digits are all sent instantly to the receiver. You don't see the Sling taking the time to fire off each digits IR signal. It would take way longer to change the channel if that was the case. (Unless the video was edited.)

SlingPlayer for iPad Coming With iOS 4.2?
by Tim Chaten on November 16, 2010

V junkies will be very excited to learn we just received word that SlingPlayer will soon have an iPad optimized app!

SlingPlayer is a way to sling (send) TV content to your computers, phones, and soon the iPad. It works by hooking up a SlingPlayer box to your DVD player, cable or satellite box. The box then communicates with your devices through apps. It is a great solution for watching live TV on the go.

Below is a forwarded email we received from Anne Hohenberger, Pinnacle’s PR Manager when asking about an iPad app:

Hi!

Pad is *right* around the corner. We’re waiting on Apple to release iOS 4.2… please stay tuned.

Thanks for your email.

Kind regards,

Anne Hohenberger

For many, the iPad has become a TV replacement. SlingPlayer on the iPad will be a huge step forward. Currently iPad users can use the iPhone app upscaled to enjoy their SlingPlayers on the go. This isn’t ideal, but will work until the iPad app arrives.

For more information on where you can buy a SlingPlayer box visit www.slingbox.com.

Just released!

So the SlingPlayer for iPad was just released in the App Store, here is the link:

SlingPlayer Mobile for iPad for iPad on the iTunes App Store

I asked the @dishnetwork Twitter feed if there was a reimbursement for Dish customers like for the iPhone version. They said not to their knowledge. I also asked if this app is compatible with the 922, but they haven't responded to that.

They also said they expect a free version to come with the Dish Network app like it does for the iPhone version.

djjenkins said:
So the SlingPlayer for iPad was just released in the App Store, here is the link:

SlingPlayer Mobile for iPad for iPad on the iTunes App Store

I asked the @dishnetwork Twitter feed if there was a reimbursement for Dish customers like for the iPhone version. They said not to their knowledge. I also asked if this app is compatible with the 922, but they haven't responded to that.

They also said they expect a free version to come with the Dish Network app like it does for the iPhone version.

Just downloaded it and tried it with my 922 - works great! I'm watching my Indy local news in St. George Utah on my iPad. Sweet... :)

So... is the app working ok? Have you tried it on other channels, etc? Does it work well with the DVR? Does it stall/hesitate a lot? I want to download it, but am hesitant. $30 is a fairly big amount for an app.

I find it really odd that neither Dish nor Sling mention the 922 as being compatible... I've been expecting this app for awhile, but finally realized it would need to wait for the 4.2 upgrade - I'm impressed that it was the very next day. But am still hesitant...

THANKS!!!
Larry

So... is the app working ok? Have you tried it on other channels, etc? Does it work well with the DVR? Does it stall/hesitate a lot? I want to download it, but am hesitant. $30 is a fairly big amount for an app.

I find it really odd that neither Dish nor Sling mention the 922 as being compatible... I've been expecting this app for awhile, but finally realized it would need to wait for the 4.2 upgrade - I'm impressed that it was the very next day. But am still hesitant...

THANKS!!!
Larry

Because this app isn't technically for the 922 or the 722/722s it's for Slingboxes. That's why it's not mentioned. If you don't want to pay $30 now, wait for the free app to get updated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts