Sling mobile for IPAD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Well it does work...

Bit the bullet and got it - It does seem to work, and it looks great, BUT I get a LOT of starting/stopping/hesitation of the video (and some audio). I wonder if my connection at home isn't good. When my 922 was installed they put in a Homelink device (or whatever it's called that connects through the power lines. The Sling site says you need 500 kps upload speed - I may not be getting that... On my computer I get the same thing when I try to use the Dishplayer, so the issue may be on my end.

Anyone successfully using the phone wire connection to their 922?

Anyway, it does seem to work well - I need to troubleshoot my upload speeds. I guess...

Larry Becker

LDBecker said:
So... is the app working ok? Have you tried it on other channels, etc? Does it work well with the DVR? Does it stall/hesitate a lot? I want to download it, but am hesitant. $30 is a fairly big amount for an app.

I find it really odd that neither Dish nor Sling mention the 922 as being compatible... I've been expecting this app for awhile, but finally realized it would need to wait for the 4.2 upgrade - I'm impressed that it was the very next day. But am still hesitant...

THANKS!!!
Larry

The only thing don't like is that it is clunky and slow to control the DVR menus via screen sharing. The integrated Dish app should be much nicer in this regard (just like the iPhone app). But I wanted the app now so I paid the $30... :)

My patents' broadband is only about 2mbps, so I can't get the HQ mode. But standard is still quite decent.

it works with the 922 (Although the HD from the 922 is still screwed up, with the sides cut off) GRRR..

It works with the Sling Adapter (and looks NICE)

It works with my Slingbox Pro HD (Which Ihad to update the firmware on to make it work)

The strange part is when I went to buy the new app it told me I already purchased it and if I wanted to download it again. I said yes and it downloaded and it didnt charge me anything to download it. I liked that. :)

it works with the 922 (Although the HD from the 922 is still screwed up, with the sides cut off) GRRR..

Think they will change when the 922 gets that updated Sling codec that the Sling Adapter is using?

The strange part is when I went to buy the new app it told me I already purchased it and if I wanted to download it again. I said yes and it downloaded and it didnt charge me anything to download it. I liked that. :)
Heh. Almost makes me want to try clicking "Buy" when I get home to see what happens.

Scott Greczkowski said:

It works with the Sling Adapter (and looks NICE)

It works with my Slingbox Pro HD (Which Ihad to update the firmware on to make it work)

One of the buttons set the aspect ratio correctly for HD. I think it was in the Misc button, but I can't remember offhand. But it gave the correct 16x9 aspect ratio on the iPad, which I could never get to work from the web or iPhone app.

Bit the bullet and got it - It does seem to work, and it looks great, BUT I get a LOT of starting/stopping/hesitation of the video (and some audio). I wonder if my connection at home isn't good. When my 922 was installed they put in a Homelink device (or whatever it's called that connects through the power lines. The Sling site says you need 500 kps upload speed - I may not be getting that... On my computer I get the same thing when I try to use the Dishplayer, so the issue may be on my end.

Anyone successfully using the phone wire connection to their 922?

Anyway, it does seem to work well - I need to troubleshoot my upload speeds. I guess...

Larry Becker

Heh... quoting my own message. Sorry...
I went home and tried it on my own wireless network -which tests at only 375 upload and 2300 download (sheesh!) and it all worked just fine - even on the hq setting. Trying it in my office, which tests at 1170 upload and 1450 download, I get stuttering.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Larry

Scott Greczkowski said:

Has anyone else had this same experience? I assume Scott, it was because you already purchased the iPhone App. Anyone else who already has the Iphone version get the iPad for free?

I went home and tried it on my own wireless network -which tests at only 375 upload and 2300 download (sheesh!) and it all worked just fine - even on the hq setting. Trying it in my office, which tests at 1170 upload and 1450 download, I get stuttering.
You get stuttering on what setting? According to the Requirements tab, and I quote:

For DISH Remote Access Mobile App: At least 150 Kbps upstream bandwidth
For DISH Remote Access Computer Browser: At least 600 Kbps upstream bandwidth
So... You should be OK on the mobile app, but not OK (with only 375 up) for the browser plug-in. Were you using the iPad app? Maybe it's sucking at the browser plug-in rate.

You get stuttering on what setting? According to the Requirements tab, and I quote:

So... You should be OK on the mobile app, but not OK (with only 375 up) for the browser plug-in. Were you using the iPad app? Maybe it's sucking at the browser plug-in rate.

Hi TheKrell, thanks for responding - Yes, I saw that... and at home, where I have only 375 up, it works just fine. At work, where I have 1170 plus upload, 1450 download, it is really unwatchable. Someone suggested that it works well at home because it's on the same network as the 922. I'm going to have to go to some other places with wifi and see how it works there.

Larry

LDBecker said:
Hi TheKrell, thanks for responding - Yes, I saw that... and at home, where I have only 375 up, it works just fine. At work, where I have 1170 plus upload, 1450 download, it is really unwatchable. Someone suggested that it works well at home because it's on the same network as the 922. I'm going to have to go to some other places with wifi and see how it works there.

Larry

Larry, when you say at work do you mean the sling device is also at work or is it still set up at your house? If it's still at your house the stream is limited by your home upload rate (which would explain the stuttering).

If both the viewing device (pc/smartphone) an the sling product are on the same network, your upload speed won't cone into play because the signal is staying within the network at all times (which would explain why you have better video quality while at home).

When the sling product and the remote viewing device are on separate networks there are really only two limitations that matter: the upload speed on the network the sling product is on and the download speed of the network the viewing device is on.

I hope that helps.

Has anyone else had this same experience? I assume Scott, it was because you already purchased the iPhone App. Anyone else who already has the Iphone version get the iPad for free?

This was exactly my experience: Already owned the iPhone version, attempted to "purchase" the $29.95 iPad version, got a message saying that I already had that application and needed to have iTunes check for downloadable content. Did so, and sync'ed my iPad. Now iPad receives Slings and I didn't pay anything new.

This was exactly my experience: Already owned the iPhone version, attempted to "purchase" the $29.95 iPad version, got a message saying that I already had that application and needed to have iTunes check for downloadable content. Did so, and sync'ed my iPad. Now iPad receives Slings and I didn't pay anything new.

Ditto for me too.

emgoodman said:

Well it was too good to be true as overnight I got an itunes invoice for the iPad app.

Oh well I would have purchased it anyways.

Happy thanksgiving everyone!

OMG Scott. You couldn't have posted that 5 minutes earlier. LOL! I just ran over to my computer and clicked buy and didn't get prompted that I already bought it. Then I loaded up this thread again and saw your post. Oh well.

dangue said:
Larry, when you say at work do you mean the sling device is also at work or is it still set up at your house? If it's still at your house the stream is limited by your home upload rate (which would explain the stuttering).

If both the viewing device (pc/smartphone) an the sling product are on the same network, your upload speed won't cone into play because the signal is staying within the network at all times (which would explain why you have better video quality while at home).

When the sling product and the remote viewing device are on separate networks there are really only two limitations that matter: the upload speed on the network the sling product is on and the download speed of the network the viewing device is on.

I hope that helps.

Hi dangue, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Yes, I think you've nailed my issue- slow upload at home where my 922 is. Wonder what I can do about that. I live in an area just on the edge of AT&T's DSL coverage area, no Uverse, no Verizon Fios... My son, who's away at school in IL, suggested Comcast like he had to go to there, but it seems silly to get cable Internet when I have Dish for tv. Have to look into it, I guess.
Thanks!
Larry

I just watched the Patriots-Lions game from fro my 922 to my iPad on a Southwest flight with wifi - a few stutters but overall it was great! I can't believe I haven't had Sling until now ... :)

LDBecker said:
Hi dangue, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Yes, I think you've nailed my issue- slow upload at home where my 922 is. Wonder what I can do about that. I live in an area just on the edge of AT&T's DSL coverage area, no Uverse, no Verizon Fios... My son, who's away at school in IL, suggested Comcast like he had to go to there, but it seems silly to get cable Internet when I have Dish for tv. Have to look into it, I guess.
Thanks!
Larry

Yea, it would be cheaper to stick with all one company. Sometimes you'll get better service when you got with separate. For example, I have Dish for TV and Charter for Internet and Phone. I refuse to use the joke of a DVR Charter offers and they don't have nearly as many HD channels. I happy with what I pay for.

The Meal said:

rjruby said:
Ditto for me too.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Well it was too good to be true as overnight I got an itunes invoice for the iPad app.

Oh well I would have purchased it anyways.

Happy thanksgiving everyone!

So what is the verdict for you two? Did you also get charged?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)