SLING ON SAMSUNG SMART TV

I just cut the satellite cord and set up Sling TV on my Samsung via a Roku device. It's flaky. Has already failed twice within 24 hours. I am also looking for Samsung to add SlingTV to their SmartHub!

Thanks for bringing this topic back to the top of the list again. Does anyone have any news regarding Sling TV being available on Samsung Smart Hub? They promied this at launch, and many are still patiently waiting... Anyone?

Looks like its not coming to Samsung TV's. (And I notice on their website they don't support ANY Smart TV's anymore)

I just got this from Sling TV

"Since transitioning DISH World to Sling International, the app is no longer available on Samsung TVs."

It's much better to have a Roku or XBox One and a universal remote than use smart TV features. Smart TVs have never been very smart, there's always something missing. With a Roku or an XBox One it's SO much better than a smart TV. And, you can always upgrade your TV without any issues.

Reactions: gdweathers
Now into November and still no Sling on Samsung Smart HUB. What gives? This was promised back in March.
YOU MAY USE THE SLING APP IF YOU PURCHASE A SONY BRAVIA SMART TV. DISAPPOINTING! WRITE INTO THE FCC, YOUR CONGRESS AND SENATE REPRESENTATIVES TO SHARE YOUR DISAPPOINTMENT WITH A LACK OF STANDARDS. THE APP SHOULD BE AVAILABLE ON ALL SMART TV'S, NOT SELECT BRANDS. THIS IS UNFAIR COMPETITION AND THE PRIMARY REASON THE FTC (FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION) GETS INVOLVED IN LARGE MERGERS IN AN EFFORT TO PROMOTE HEALTHY COMPETITION. THIS ENTIRE INDUSTRY IS PLAGUED WITH MONOPOLY STRUCTURES.

It's much better to have a Roku or XBox One and a universal remote than use smart TV features. Smart TVs have never been very smart, there's always something missing. With a Roku or an XBox One it's SO much better than a smart TV. And, you can always upgrade your TV without any issues.

I DISAGREE. ITS ANOTHER DEVICE AND ECOLOGICALLY INCORRECT TO PLUG IN MORE DEVICES.

Into July and still no hint of this service coming to Samsung Smart TVs... Have to assume this is no longer on their radar, or they would at least update everyone with a tentative date. Too bad, would be nice to have everything in one place (hulu, netflix, sling etc).

The only choice is to buy one of the third party devices from Sling or buy a Sony Smart TV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't you get a Roku to do all your aps?

I find the interface on the smart TV's too clunky

It defeats the purpose of buying a smart tv, but you are correct the ROKU is a way to support it. At this point, the purchase of a smart TV doesnt appear to be a good investment when the manufactures are not consistent with the apps.

Looks like its not coming to Samsung TV's. (And I notice on their website they don't support ANY Smart TV's anymore)

I just got this from Sling TV

"Since transitioning DISH World to Sling International, the app is no longer available on Samsung TVs."

Very good observation. The dish app was a valid app and then sling and Samsung didnt replace it with a new sling app. disappointing.....

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Welcome to the forum VA_Dude. In the future please do not spam threads with the same post over and over. Once is enough to get your point across. ;)

Reactions: jegrant and Rey
I DISAGREE. ITS ANOTHER DEVICE AND ECOLOGICALLY INCORRECT TO PLUG IN MORE DEVICES.
Many of our members houses would be considered severely ecologically incorrect then. :D

In all seriousness, the power these things draw is negligible, and the experience is far superior than any smart tv I have or have experienced.

Reactions: jegrant
I'd also compare my Roku's power draw to that of a huge ridiculous Comcast cable box any day of the week. Some of the cable boxes put off a ton of heat and run all day long.

I have been waiting patiently for this too. I went ahead and bought a roku box in the meantime but it's a little annoying having to use the roku just for sling. For those of you saying to buy a universal remote, I have a newer logitech remote but it doesn't work with the roku box since the roku uses RF and the logitech remotes use IR. Also, I have a wired connection to my TV since my wireless router sits at the other end of the house. I have a media server that doesn't stream movies that well unless it's a wired connection. If I wire my roku device and use it for all the apps, I'll have to use the roku remote still, can't win in this situation. I think if they don't release sling on smart hub by the end of the year that I'll go out and buy a Sony tv.

I have been waiting patiently for this too. I went ahead and bought a roku box in the meantime but it's a little annoying having to use the roku just for sling. For those of you saying to buy a universal remote, I have a newer logitech remote but it doesn't work with the roku box since the roku uses RF and the logitech remotes use IR. Also, I have a wired connection to my TV since my wireless router sits at the other end of the house. I have a media server that doesn't stream movies that well unless it's a wired connection. If I wire my roku device and use it for all the apps, I'll have to use the roku remote still, can't win in this situation. I think if they don't release sling on smart hub by the end of the year that I'll go out and buy a Sony tv.

The problem is that investing in Samsung Smart TV's was a bad move. The industry is moving in the direction of Android operating systems and Samsung has a proprietary operating system. Since Samsung choose their proprietary operating system, they should subsidize the app development. The reality is that Samsung is loosing app developers fast for this reason. Sony has taken the approach of using the Android OS, so all you need to do on their TV's is go to the google app store and download sling app. I personally wont buy another Samsung TV for this reason. The Samsung has great picture, but with good app options, whats the point; Sure you can buy Roku and attach to the tv, but the point of a smart tv is one device.

For this reason, I wouldn't recommend Samsung. It's not Sling's fault, it cost money to develop apps on each platform. The smart television industry should've developed a smart interface standard. Instead, they seem to create their own interface to try and lock customers into their platform. Unfortunately, its like the cellular industry in the US, once you buy from a vendor, its costly to change.

As for streaming TV, it seems Sony has finally launched their VUE service nationwide. Again, app availability is limited, support for homes with dynamic IP service providers is an issue. It's funny, in the US, the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) goes out of their way to insure we don't have monopolies, but the entire cable/television broadcast and communication industry is one huge monopoly controlled by powerful lobyist. Sling, Vue and others are breaking into the streaming service, but they fight some huge battles for multi-streaming and simply launching competitive services.

It's time for change!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts