SLING (Problem & Work-Around)

eddwall

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 18, 2012
I have a 2H/4J system since day one, and two sling adapters (1 per Hopper). For the most part I have had real good success with my slings, when I had trouble it was usually a network issue (bandwidth). And let's face its hard to trouble shoot, because you are always away from your home when you try to use the sling adapter.

I read a thread about someone's sling connecting to a unsubscribed channel and the sling was stuck in never/never land.

Well it's true !!! On Monday (9/24) one sling worked and the other didn't....and I said I will trouble shoot when I get home...

Got home and tried to connect to the faulty sling,
pushed the RED button from the TV w/Hopper and noticed I was connected to a tuner, but to a strange channel that I don't subscribe to. I use my IPhone to connect to my slings, while the iPhone showed "starting connection in Master Bedroom" it just stays hung up to nothing. I tried to do everything from resetting sling adapter to resetting the Hopper. It didn't matter. I tried to connect to DVR on that Hopper, but it still connects to the strange channel. I think the channel was (MGM-HD). I tried to get the channel number from the Hopper/Joey, but it hung up that TV as well.

I realize DISH needs to fix this problem, but here is a temporary workaround..

The only way I could get my sling to start working is to get to change channels !! And with the iPhone locked up it wasn't going to happen.

So what I did was to busy all tuners...I turned on one Joey, I put the Hopper in (PIP) mode which tied up two more tuners. Then I tried to connect with my IPhone. I got the"all tuners are busy" message" ......from there I was able to get to my sling menu on my phone. It is the area where you change channels / live feed / DVR functions.

I dropped the Hopper out of (PIP) mode, which freed up a tuner. I pressed the LIVE button on iPhone and connected back to sling and of course the strange channel, BUT this time I have access to my channel changer buttons on the iPhone and I changed the channel to a good channel.

Boom.... I am again connected and working & watching from my sling again . Once I got on a valid channel everything has worked fine for 72hrs. I have noticed this happening several times on both of my slings over the last month or so.

I know it is not a FIX , but if we can find out what is causing the sling to get stuck on unsubscribed channels that would clear up a lot of problems.

In the meantime you can at least try this workaround and get your sling back to working .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)