Sling TV for Free, no subscription cost

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I can't tell if this is a thread about Sling TV or Sling TV for free (which seems to be incorrect). But if you are watching live TV, I don't see how you could be seeings any more ads than through cable or sat watching live. Now the VOD, or 3 day history, could be ad filled but I still wonder if it will be any longer than the live broadcast. Like a normal 30 min show that has about 8 minutes of ads, will probably still have 8 minutes of ads. Unless they add overlays like on youtube, in that case I wouldn't stand for it.
You will like the targeted ads, Sling brought in a very smart guy. Make TV FUN/CHEAP again. Take Back TV.

Its definitely going to be something new, and may not even be a hit, but will be the straw, I believe, to break the camels back. I can see other companies jumping on this bandwagon quickly and depending on who develops the most consumer asked for lineup and UI, is going to be the winner. Netflix opened the door to streaming, Dish is opening the door to TV streaming, and would love to see where it goes from here. As long as the traditional model sticks around for quite awhile, I will be happy.

Reactions: Tampa8
I can't watch online network programming now with all the commercials you must watch, I seriously doubt even free I could do ad supported. But to be fair I'm not the target for that service.
Unfortunately, even PAID subscription services show ads you are forced to watch. That's why I dropped Hulu Plus. I refuse to pay for a subscription that also rams commercials down my throat. No thanks Hulu. Netflix and Amazon Prime will do just fine.

You will like the targeted ads, Sling brought in a very smart guy. Make TV FUN/CHEAP again. Take Back TV.
Why would I like them? I don't like them now on the Internet. In fact, I find it offensive that my private surfing habits are being used to target ads to me.

I will find it just as offensive if my private viewing habits are used that way.

Reactions: TheKrell and Jim S.
I can't tell if this is a thread about Sling TV or Sling TV for free (which seems to be incorrect). But if you are watching live TV, I don't see how you could be seeings any more ads than through cable or sat watching live. Now the VOD, or 3 day history, could be ad filled but I still wonder if it will be any longer than the live broadcast. Like a normal 30 min show that has about 8 minutes of ads, will probably still have 8 minutes of ads. Unless they add overlays like on youtube, in that case I wouldn't stand for it.
More likely, it will be 8 minutes of ads that you cannot skip, like you can do now with a DVR.

More likely, it will be 8 minutes of ads that you cannot skip, like you can do now with a DVR.
Thats probably right, but this isn't a DVR. I have to sit through them when I watch Live TV, for the coast savings I have no problem watching them. Different strokes I guess.

It said it will have some on demand. I do not think the library will be as extensive as say HBOGo, but I am sure it will be plenty per week to fill a weeks worth of the channel as if it were live broadcast. Or atleast a few days worth.

It said it will have some on demand. I do not think the library will be as extensive as say HBOGo, but I am sure it will be plenty per week to fill a weeks worth of the channel as if it were live broadcast. Or atleast a few days worth.
But it is a live broadcast. All the channels offer a live feed. I assume VOD will be close to what Dish has already.

On the surface $20 for TV sounds great ... but again ... it appears you will be forced then to watch commercials/ads that cannot be skipped.

So ... pick your poison.

$20 and watch ads.

$70+ for DVR, skip, device disconnected viewing (hence no broadband required), etc.

Are the services included in the $50+ price difference worth it is what each of us need to ask ourselves.

On the surface $20 for TV sounds great ... but again ... it appears you will be forced then to watch commercials/ads that cannot be skipped.

So ... pick your poison.

$20 and watch ads.

$70+ for DVR, skip, device disconnected viewing (hence no broadband required), etc.

Are the services included in the $50+ price difference worth it is what each of us need to ask ourselves.

As with anything, some will benefit, some won't. Reading some more coverage, it looks like it has pause, Rewind, and FF on live. So it would seem you can still pause live TV and then FF through commercials. But with the 3 day VOD, I would think they would force commercials because they can and maybe just have the pause a rewind functionality. The hands-on impressions seem good, the UI might get cumbersome with more channels though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)