Sling TV Tests Fox-Anchored Multi-Stream Service

So apparently the new package includes YES, which is interesting, considering their history with Dish.

That is what I saw - I was surprised that they have YES considering Dish doesn't have it as an RSN via satellite service. With the comcast dispute with YES in new york, I could see Sling picking up some subscribers.

Reactions: Troch77
I don't understand why Sling couldn't get rights to do multiple streams on the ABC/Disney channels. PlayStation Vue offers this option on up to 5 separate streams in one household that includes all the channels in their three package options. Only some of the channels are restricted on the mobile app and don't have access.

From a marketing standpoint, this is very confusing. I assume most sports fans would like access to both sets of channels. A higher level package for $30 would have made more sense. I don't understand why the local Fox station wasn't put in their Broadcast Extra add-on along with ABC.

I don't understand why Sling couldn't get rights to do multiple streams on the ABC/Disney channels. PlayStation Vue offers this option on up to 5 separate streams in one household that includes all the channels in their three package options. Only some of the channels are restricted on the mobile app and don't have access.

From a marketing standpoint, this is very confusing. I assume most sports fans would like access to both sets of channels. A higher level package for $30 would have made more sense. I don't understand why the local Fox station wasn't put in their Broadcast Extra add-on along with ABC.
Here is the reason and I will post link you can read more if interested.
Sling TV’s existing single-stream TV service, which includes content from Disney and ESPN Networks, is unchanged. When Disney inked its deal with Dish in March 2014 — marking the first time the programmer had granted over-the-top rights to its TV programming — the limit on a single stream per account was a key provision, as Disney/ESPN didn’t want the OTT service to siphon away existing pay-TV customers to a lower-cost package.

link here.
http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/dish-sling-tv-fox-multistream-espn-1201752423/

That is what I saw - I was surprised that they have YES considering Dish doesn't have it as an RSN via satellite service. With the comcast dispute with YES in new york, I could see Sling picking up some subscribers.
Here are some pictures, so far so good.

I'll check back hopefully the games aren't blacked out.

25f6bf77c87a8b06456c9f5f05e36084.jpg

a9cc8c29f8466696771b256db0b6e742.jpg

PQ is okay, but not great for HD, and definitely not good for sports.
But that's basketball, baseball may be a different story since it's much slower paced.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: whitewolf8214
hmmmm
so hockey may not be the best on it
I'm going to say no.
The News is probably good HD.
I will have to give the PQ edge to PS Vue.

But if I can get YES for $20 a month for the season, and not have to pay $165 for MLB EI and "Move" then I'll deal with the Motion Blur.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: Mr Tony
I'm going to say no.
The News is probably good HD.
I will have to give the PQ edge to PS Vue.

But if I can get YES for $20 a month for the season, and not have to pay $165 for MLB EI and "Move" then I'll deal with the Motion Blur.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
Is the YES Network a RSN in Southern PA ? I signed up but it wasn't available in MD. So I cancelled it right away.

I don't know if it's a National channel or just an RSN.

Did you sign up for the right plan?
If it had Disney channels in it , then it was the wrong plan.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Many will not get any RSN, if there is not a FSN in your area. CSN and ROOT would not be included.

I get Fox Sports South and Fox Sports Southeast along with about 4 alternates. Funny thing is cable had the REDS game on Fox Sports South last night and Sling TV had it on an alternate channel. All the same for me living in North Georgia. We are considered part of Atlanta Braces home area and borderline REDS depending on zip code. Don't get all the Fox Sports Ohio games but they are considered local so if I ordered mlb.TV it would be blacked out all the time

I get Fox Sports South and Fox Sports Southeast along with about 4 alternates. Funny thing is cable had the REDS game on Fox Sports South last night and Sling TV had it on an alternate channel.

When it comes to things like that cable can cut in the local game whereas satellite and sling (nationwide providers) have to set aside alternate channels. I know on Directv there are some RSN that have 4 or 5 "alts" because of the market and the amount of teams on that station.

Here are a couple more examples

During college football season ABC/ESPN2 usually have 2 games at the 2:30 Central timeslot. One is on your local ABC. One is on ESPN2. satellite has Option "B" inputted as the ESPN2 game. If you get Option "A" as your ABC game everything matches up. But if you have option "B" as your ABC game then on satellite you would get Option "A" on an alternate channel. Cable would just plug Option "A" on ESPN2 locally.

Big 10 Network does the same thing. They can have 3 or 4 games on at the same time early in the year. So if the Gophers play and it isnt the "main" game we have to look in the BTN ALts (610-1 through 610-4 on Directv). On Comcast the Gophers are ALWAYS on the "main" BTN network (27 SD 254 HD) even if it means pre-empting other games (like if it runs over)

When it comes to things like that cable can cut in the local game whereas satellite and sling (nationwide providers) have to set aside alternate channels. I know on Directv there are some RSN that have 4 or 5 "alts" because of the market and the amount of teams on that station.

Here are a couple more examples

During college football season ABC/ESPN2 usually have 2 games at the 2:30 Central timeslot. One is on your local ABC. One is on ESPN2. satellite has Option "B" inputted as the ESPN2 game. If you get Option "A" as your ABC game everything matches up. But if you have option "B" as your ABC game then on satellite you would get Option "A" on an alternate channel. Cable would just plug Option "A" on ESPN2 locally.

Big 10 Network does the same thing. They can have 3 or 4 games on at the same time early in the year. So if the Gophers play and it isnt the "main" game we have to look in the BTN ALts (610-1 through 610-4 on Directv). On Comcast the Gophers are ALWAYS on the "main" BTN network (27 SD 254 HD) even if it means pre-empting other games (like if it runs over)
I noticed tonight FSN South has other stuff on. On the alt feed it shows REDS at the cardinals. Think I'll see that game?

You should be able to but obviously on the alternate channel
Looking at a cable listing it shows the Reds on Fox Sports Tennessee which is a subset of FS South (but shows Preds and Grizzly games).

You should be able to but obviously on the alternate channel
Looking at a cable listing it shows the Reds on Fox Sports Tennessee which is a subset of FS South (but shows Preds and Grizzly games).
OK ICE, on Sling TV Fox Sports South it's college baseball. Alt is showing the REDS game, Yay...and on my friends Fox Sports South cable it has an air show on!! Weird..but at least I know with Sling TV I can get my REDS unlike cable who only shows a REDS game maybe once in a week. Also getting Atlanta Braves on Fox Sports Southeast

New Sling TV Deal Leaves Viewers With a Hard Choice http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sling-tv-deal-leaves-viewers-172249016.html
Like many cord-cutters, we've been big fans of the Sling TV $20-per-month, skinny service since it launched in early 2015. Maybe that explains why we're so disheartened by the painful decision embedded in the company's latest plan.If you're a new subscriber, you can either abandon ESPN in favor of Fox's channels and the ability to simultaneously stream to three devices or choose ESPN (and Disney's other channels), but settle for streaming to just one device at a time.For sports fans looking to cut the cord, that's one tough call, especially since options for getting ESPN without a pay TV subscription are limited. Another consideration: The Disney plan doesn't include any local broadcast channels.While it's possible that Sling TV and Disney/ESPN can reach a deal that would allow multiple streams—apparently, the companies are discussing this possibility—the only option right now for ESPN fans who want multiple streams is to subscribe to both services. That would cost $40 a month and leave them with lots of overlap between the stations offered in both plans. Still, that may be a cheaper route than your current pay TV plan, as long as you're willing to forgo local broadcasts from ABC, CBS, and NBC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)