Pixelating issue

andy_horton

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
Northwest Georgia
While watching certain channels on my Roku 2, the picture will pixelate sometimes. Tried a hard reset, no luck. It does it on my tablet, too. Roku is hardwired, tablet is Wi-Fi. Connection set to high, but not the highest. Been doing it for a few days now. Specifically TNT and cartoon network. Or I'll get the message, sorry, an error has occurred with this program. Please stand by. Thanks, Andy

Last edited:
While watching certain channels on my Roku 2, the picture will pixelate sometimes. Tried a hard reset, no luck. It does it on my tablet, too. Roku is hardwired, tablet is Wi-Fi. Connection set to high, but not the highest. Been doing it for a few days now. Specifically TNT and cartoon network. Or I'll get the message, sorry, an error has occurred with this program. Please stand by. Thanks, Andy
Same thing happening to me. This pixilation started this weekend.

Reactions: andy_horton
Same thing happening to me. This pixilation started this weekend.
After talking to Tech support, they had me turn down the "quality" of the connection. I only have 6mbps down. Between my tablet, phone, and Sling, too much was being pulled. I turned down the connection speed to medium speed and so far so good. It's under the connection tab. Hope this helps. Andy

You can try rebooting your router, modem, switch, hub, etc, that may help. Check your router/firewall logs too, to see if there's any UDP packet floods, etc, any stuff that isn't right. Could be a issue with your ISP or your network, if you see anything bad in the logs.

We had a issue a year or so ago when Metrocast sold out to Atlantic Broadband and Atlantic Broadband was getting slammed bad for the first month or so. I had a work around here, but I would hate to be other people during that time that didn't know what was going on and how to avoid it. Once they resolved those initial problems, they've been great.

I wouldn't think your tablet, phone, Sling and Roku would pull too much, unless they're all being used to stream/internet/whatever, all at the same time?

You can try rebooting your router, modem, switch, hub, etc, that may help. Check your router/firewall logs too, to see if there's any UDP packet floods, etc, any stuff that isn't right. Could be a issue with your ISP or your network, if you see anything bad in the logs.

We had a issue a year or so ago when Metrocast sold out to Atlantic Broadband and Atlantic Broadband was getting slammed bad for the first month or so. I had a work around here, but I would hate to be other people during that time that didn't know what was going on and how to avoid it. Once they resolved those initial problems, they've been great.

I wouldn't think your tablet, phone, Sling and Roku would pull too much, unless they're all being used to stream/internet/whatever, all at the same time?
Usually I just use 1 device at a time

According to Sling, I need a minimum of 12mbps down. Is that true? Currently, I have 6 down. No problems until recently

According to Sling, I need a minimum of 12mbps down. Is that true? Currently, I have 6 down. No problems until recently

I don't know about Sling, I don't have Sling here. looking at their site though, it doesn't seem to actually state a speed, just says high speed internet for their minimum requirements. Pretty general and unhelpful statement there. :(

Roku Users:
  • Roku 1, 2, 3, LT, Roku TVs from Hisense and TCL, Roku Streaming Sticks, HS, XS and XD
  • High speed internet connection
http://help.sling.com/articles/en_U...em-requirements-for-using-the-Sling-TV-app-9#

They have some articles on their site about buffering, pixelation, but nothing that seems helpful. Did you check your DL speed and see that you are actually still getting the 6 mb that you should be, or close to that? Maybe your connection speed has dropped and time to call your ISP?

We had DSL quite some time ago [AT&T] at 1.5 mb down and our Rokus and all worked fine, but once in a while they would glitch up and I'd check our speed, it would be low. I'd call them and always it was, "let's check it, yup, it seems low, you should be fine now." within a minute or so, back to normal.

We have 15 mb down through Atlantic Broadband now, which gives us no trouble.

I don't know about Sling, I don't have Sling here. looking at their site though, it doesn't seem to actually state a speed, just says high speed internet for their minimum requirements. Pretty general and unhelpful statement there. :(

Roku Users:
  • Roku 1, 2, 3, LT, Roku TVs from Hisense and TCL, Roku Streaming Sticks, HS, XS and XD
  • High speed internet connection
http://help.sling.com/articles/en_U...em-requirements-for-using-the-Sling-TV-app-9#

They have some articles on their site about buffering, pixelation, but nothing that seems helpful. Did you check your DL speed and see that you are actually still getting the 6 mb that you should be, or close to that? Maybe your connection speed has dropped and time to call your ISP?

We had DSL quite some time ago [AT&T] at 1.5 mb down and our Rokus and all worked fine, but once in a while they would glitch up and I'd check our speed, it would be low. I'd call them and always it was, "let's check it, yup, it seems low, you should be fine now." within a minute or so, back to normal.

We have 15 mb down through Atlantic Broadband now, which gives us no trouble.
I kept the 6mb down and cancelled Sling TV. I tried cable internet at 25mb down and it did the same thing. It's them, not me. Until their service gets better, I'll keep cable and Netflix. Netflix runs fine on my 6 down

I kept the 6mb down and cancelled Sling TV. I tried cable internet at 25mb down and it did the same thing. It's them, not me. Until their service gets better, I'll keep cable and Netflix. Netflix runs fine on my 6 down

Yeah, we've had Netflix here for years and it rarely gives us any trouble. In all of the time that we've had it, it's gone out maybe three times, never for very long.

My wife and daughter watch Netflix a lot, but I don't, I watch FTA and OTA, for the most part. I have lately been watching the 'Third rock from the sun' series at night on Netflix lately though.

Yeah, we've had Netflix here for years and it rarely gives us any trouble. In all of the time that we've had it, it's gone out maybe three times, never for very long.

My wife and daughter watch Netflix a lot, but I don't, I watch FTA and OTA, for the most part. I have lately been watching the 'Third rock from the sun' series at night on Netflix lately though.
Going to give Sling TV one more chance. I'm upgrading to 16mbps down this Thursday from 6mbps down which works sometimes. I do like Sling but am seriously considering Vue

Going to give Sling TV one more chance. I'm upgrading to 16mbps down this Thursday from 6mbps down which works sometimes. I do like Sling but am seriously considering Vue

I read a bit on the Vue because we do have a few PS4's and I thought that maybe the $29.99 one might not be bad, but in the $29.99 option I didn't really see anything that would make it worthwhile to us because most of those channels we already get, or wouldn't watch.

They do have a seven day trial to try it out though and it is nice that there's no contract and no fees for boxes and stuff like that, that's a big difference from cable, if I read that section right, I just breezed through that part. When we had cable, they socked us like $15 a month for a box and then we had to use their modem because we had VOIP phone through them and that was another $7.99 a month, with Vue, it seems like there's none of that nonsense!

I read a bit on the Vue because we do have a few PS4's and I thought that maybe the $29.99 one might not be bad, but in the $29.99 option I didn't really see anything that would make it worthwhile to us because most of those channels we already get, or wouldn't watch.

They do have a seven day trial to try it out though and it is nice that there's no contract and no fees for boxes and stuff like that, that's a big difference from cable, if I read that section right, I just breezed through that part. When we had cable, they socked us like $15 a month for a box and then we had to use their modem because we had VOIP phone through them and that was another $7.99 a month, with Vue, it seems like there's none of that nonsense!
I'm seriously considering Vue

Maybe give the 7 day free trial a try and see how it is, cancel it before the end of the 7 days if you don't like it? I was just looking through the FAQs on Playstation's site and there's quite a bit of info there. Here's the link to it:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/faq/

If we weren't set up so good with TV with the OTA, FTA and Netflix here, I'd give the trial a try, it does look decent. If my choices were between cable and Vue, I'd definitely be leaning towards Vue. :D

Course, it all would depend on how it's setup too, if it's easy to use, speed, picture quality, etc.

Maybe give the 7 day free trial a try and see how it is, cancel it before the end of the 7 days if you don't like it? I was just looking through the FAQs on Playstation's site and there's quite a bit of info there. Here's the link to it:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/faq/

If we weren't set up so good with TV with the OTA, FTA and Netflix here, I'd give the trial a try, it does look decent. If my choices were between cable and Vue, I'd definitely be leaning towards Vue. :D

Course, it all would depend on how it's setup too, if it's easy to use, speed, picture quality, etc.
Not having a PlayStation, I can only describe using Vue via a Fire TV Stick & AT&T 6.0 Fast DSL. It probably would be better if I had a regular Fire TV box hardwired via Ethernet(hopefully next on my list to buy). Sporting events have that jerky picture with the stick. Wireless connection tends to freeze/pause the picture, which is very annoying if you are watching a live event. Perhaps if my Fire TV Stick was closer to my wireless router, the freezing/pausing wouldn't occur so much. However, Sling TV's picture will deteriorate to almost being unwatchable using my hardwired Roku 3, so I'll stick with Vue.

Don't mean to sidetrack some of the discussion in this thread. I was having terrible problems during NBA western conference finals with pixelation. Called Sling TV and chose technical support. Told the rep what had happened. The Sling TV rep gave me the idea that I was not the only one who had experienced an issue. The representative seemed to be very understanding of the situation and said they are working on these type of issues. The Sling TV representative told me how to go into the app settings and allow the app to send them information about the problems, and how to check the current bandwidth. Like someone else said, glad it is not just me and I'm glad I am not going crazy. If not for the suggestion to call it in, I probably would have just blown it off. I'm glad I called in.

From my experience with Vue, also on a Fire tv stick, I have not experienced the issues that Royrdsjr has (my internet is faster though, so his issues likely are tied to that rather than any issues with the service itself) I have three spread out at different locations, bedroom, living room, and garage (so varying distances from the router). All of them, aside from the slowness that comes with the Stick, perform as well as my hardwired PS3. PQ is a level above sling, and I do not get the freezing of picture, even when using more than one of them to stream at the same time.

As far as sporting events, it is my slow time for sports, but in watching college baseball and softball (and a few minutes of the NBA playoffs), I would personally put the PQ as very close to, if not on par with Dish.

Don't mean to sidetrack some of the discussion in this thread. I was having terrible problems during NBA western conference finals with pixelation. Called Sling TV and chose technical support. Told the rep what had happened. The Sling TV rep gave me the idea that I was not the only one who had experienced an issue. The representative seemed to be very understanding of the situation and said they are working on these type of issues. The Sling TV representative told me how to go into the app settings and allow the app to send them information about the problems, and how to check the current bandwidth. Like someone else said, glad it is not just me and I'm glad I am not going crazy. If not for the suggestion to call it in, I probably would have just blown it off. I'm glad I called in.
It is Sling TV issue. As a general rule they are helpful. Like everything else, nothing is perfect and this is a fairly new concept. Good job overall. I downgraded my cable to limited basic for locals only and am keeping Sling TV, even at the lower bandwidth.

It is Sling TV issue. As a general rule they are helpful. Like everything else, nothing is perfect and this is a fairly new concept. Good job overall. I downgraded my cable to limited basic for locals only and am keeping Sling TV, even at the lower bandwidth.
Update---I switched to Comcast internet 25mbps down hardwired to Roku and no problems :bday

Reactions: . Raine
I have 60mbps down and it pixelated, freezes and blurry images all the time on every device Roku, FTV and ATV. Canceled my trial.
Do it. I already switched over to Vue works great. Just don't get there Elite package. Many channels like MTV Hits, extra CMT and even TeenNick are not in HD just pillbox SD. I called them up and was able to downgrade my plan back to Core package.