SLING vs VU

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Sling you can watch anywhere... you can only watch VU in the area where you ordered it.

I liked VU's lineup better but unlike Sling I couldn't watch at my office, since I signed up for it at home. With Sling I can watch anywhere.

Sling you can watch anywhere... you can only watch VU in the area where you ordered it.

I liked VU's lineup better but unlike Sling I couldn't watch at my office, since I signed up for it at home. With Sling I can watch anywhere.
Thats good information.
Seems kind of stupid that VUE can only be watched at home.
Even Dish ,Directv and my local cable allow remote streaming.

Thats good information.

There's an Android and iOS app for PS Vue to watch anywhere. You just would run into trouble if you tried to sign into your account remotely from a game console or streaming device, like Roku or Amazon FireTV.

One of the biggest advantages of PS Vue, besides the greater channel selection and regional sports networks, is the cloud-based DVR, which is included and there's virtually no limit on recording space or number of tuners. You also can have up to 5 simultaneous streams with Vue with any subscription package, even the cheapest one.

I have not checked it lately, but on the mobile app they have fixed that problem. Last I did try, every channel was in the clear to stream on the go, just like sling.

It is picky about working if you sign up at work and then go home to watch. You can only change your home location one time if I am not mistaken.

Thats good information.
You can with Vue as well. Checking it now, on my cell network at the office, streaming is coming in on all channels live.

I mentioned the reasons I prefer vue in your other thread, but a recap is
better pq
better channel selection for the money
dvr capability
multi streams on all channels
More tv anywhere app access (if you need it)
I like the layout better

Reactions: Coach Knight
They did apparently. I know it was as you say when it first launched. I still dont think you could sign into another streaming device like a fire or roku at another location however.

But on a Roku, could you not just sign on to a TV Everywhere app ( Watch ESPN for example ) at the office with a Vue login?

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

This article gives a good breakdown of the differences, especially the channel availability. It was posted in July, so is out of date for PS Vue, which has since added HBO, Cinemax, NFL Network, etc. And it doesn't talk about remote/mobile access to each service. http://cordcuttersnews.com/channel-lineup-comparison-sling-tv-vs-playstation-vue-vs-sfn-tv-now/

The biggest difference between Sling and Vue for channels is Sling offers A&E, History, Lifetime, DIY, and BBC America (Vue doesn't). Vue has the Discovery family of channels, Animal Planet, Big Ten Network, Chiller, Fox News, Fox College Sports, FXM, MGM, OWN, Nickolodeon, Sprout, and Universal (which Sling doesn't) -- as of July 2016. There are some other channel differences involving obscure (to me) channels and sub-channels, but those are the biggies (at least to me).

It may come down to what your must-have channels are.

Reactions: Kraven

That is exactly why I have sling. I like to watch news and stuff in the morning in my office when no one is in yet. COuldn't do that with Vue.. too bad cause I like Vue's Discovery networks... Oh well.

if SFNTV Now ever comes back nationwide I will go back to that though. I loved their interface

Reactions: andy_horton
Since working on cutting the cord, I have figured out I do not need a cloud dvr, so I spent a lot of time trying out Netflix, Amazon, Vue and Sling on my Fire tv (2nd gen) and Roku Ultra.

For amazon tv shows, the Roku Ultra trumps the Fire tv, where I see banding and contouring during not so hot content on the Fire, the Roku looks fine like my UHD disc player. For Sling, with the all channel package, sports and lifestyle, it works well, and having the sling button on the remote is very good for the wife.

I am probably going to stick with Sling mainly because I like the Roku Ultra better as the one stop shop, the Sling button on the remote, and Sling has Max. I need all 4 premiums at different times. You can get Starz and Showtime thru Amazon for cheap, and of course HBO Now by itself, but Max is only on Sling. I also added HBO with sling, and their VOD PQ is very very good. I did some testing on the first episode of Westworld, and it looked great.

Some of the Vue channels like TNT, AMC, and a few others I tried looks very very good on the Roku, but then like FX wasn't so hot. Not bad I mean, but it could have also been the older movie I was watching. Blade Trinity was on one of those channels and it looked great, really surprising how streaming tv has gone, especially when you have a decent internet connection.

The main thing is I can watch every channel I need, drop packages easily when football is done, and it will be a lot less than my upcoming $170 directv bill.

Since working on cutting the cord, I have figured out I do not need a cloud dvr, so I spent a lot of time trying out Netflix, Amazon, Vue and Sling on my Fire tv (2nd gen) and Roku Ultra.

For amazon tv shows, the Roku Ultra trumps the Fire tv, where I see banding and contouring during not so hot content on the Fire, the Roku looks fine like my UHD disc player. For Sling, with the all channel package, sports and lifestyle, it works well, and having the sling button on the remote is very good for the wife.

I am probably going to stick with Sling mainly because I like the Roku Ultra better as the one stop shop, the Sling button on the remote, and Sling has Max. I need all 4 premiums at different times. You can get Starz and Showtime thru Amazon for cheap, and of course HBO Now by itself, but Max is only on Sling. I also added HBO with sling, and their VOD PQ is very very good. I did some testing on the first episode of Westworld, and it looked great.

Some of the Vue channels like TNT, AMC, and a few others I tried looks very very good on the Roku, but then like FX wasn't so hot. Not bad I mean, but it could have also been the older movie I was watching. Blade Trinity was on one of those channels and it looked great, really surprising how streaming tv has gone, especially when you have a decent internet connection.

The main thing is I can watch every channel I need, drop packages easily when football is done, and it will be a lot less than my upcoming $170 directv bill.
No, Cinemax is also on Vue, BUT it is $5.00 cheaper on Sling TV. For just a penny more than on Amazon Prime, you can get Starz PLUS Starz Encore also on Sling TV. You'd have to pay $8.99 each for just Starz(no Starz Encore added) & Showtime with Amazon Prime.

I see that now with the Ultra plan. I missed that. I did a search for Cinemax to go basically when I was hunting and for some reason got an earlier article where it was only on Sling. The premiums and ESPNs were what kept me away from cutting, but now there are plenty of options.

Ill go this route most likely:

• Sling Tv Orange + Blue
  • Sports pack only while college football is on
  • Lifestyle Plus all the time for DIY and others
  • HBO, Max and Starz via Sling as needed for originals
  • Showtime as needed via Amazon
Will save money for sure.

Now we wait to see what others bring out, like Directv. No contract and making account changes easily online is a HUGE plus.

I am really enjoying having the options and ability to swap as my needs change month to month.

More news coming out on the Hulu service, with the Fox and ESPN (entire bunch) networks for sports confirmed to be in it.

I am really enjoying having the options and ability to swap as my needs change month to month.

More news coming out on the Hulu service, with the Fox and ESPN (entire bunch) networks for sports confirmed to be in it.

Yeah, I mean Vue and Sling both seem great to me, it's more a personal preference. Hard to believe these services are finally here, seems like the concept too FOREVER.

We never watch live tv, other than sports and DIY goofing around on the weekend, so the concept of a dvr free environment with streamed content and cloud content is a much better solution. A large chunk of our recording is premium channels and locals, just looking at current timers it is 85% and the rest is stuff like Walking Dead. No need to have all this we dont need, and end of the day, saving $$$ and getting what you want/need is the point. None of us work to give it a way!

For me Vue is by far the better value. Sling is 40 dollars for orange plus blue. Plus 5 dollars each for kids channels and sports channels. Puts me at 50 dollars for sling. Plus none of the 4 major networks are available in my area with Sling so another 8 dollars a month for Hulu and 6 a month for CBS All Access. Puts me at 64 a month!

Vue I'm on the 35 dollar plan. Get all the channels I want including ABC, NBC, and FOX on demand. Plus regional sports and cloud DVR. So then just another 6 a month for CBS all access. 41 a month there. That's a big price difference.

Also for me I don't care for watching TV outside the house. If I'm not at home chances are I'm doing something where I don't need to be watching TV. And if I do, I can just use my Vue log in for almost any channels app. Yeah it means I have to download a bunch of different apps but that doesn't bother me much for as little as I do it.

That's what I love about all these new streaming services. We have choices. And they're choices that we aren't locked into for 2 years. So next week if something changes and I decide that Sling, or Directv Now is the better option there's nothing stopping me from switching.

For me Vue is by far the better value. Sling is 40 dollars for orange plus blue. Plus 5 dollars each for kids channels and sports channels. Puts me at 50 dollars for sling. Plus none of the 4 major networks are available in my area with Sling so another 8 dollars a month for Hulu and 6 a month for CBS All Access. Puts me at 64 a month!

Vue I'm on the 35 dollar plan. Get all the channels I want including ABC, NBC, and FOX on demand. Plus regional sports and cloud DVR. So then just another 6 a month for CBS all access. 41 a month there. That's a big price difference.

Also for me I don't care for watching TV outside the house. If I'm not at home chances are I'm doing something where I don't need to be watching TV. And if I do, I can just use my Vue log in for almost any channels app. Yeah it means I have to download a bunch of different apps but that doesn't bother me much for as little as I do it.

That's what I love about all these new streaming services. We have choices. And they're choices that we aren't locked into for 2 years. So next week if something changes and I decide that Sling, or Directv Now is the better option there's nothing stopping me from switching.
Sports is $10.00 extra for Sling Blue & higher(Sling Orange + Sling Blue combined).

Reactions: hahler2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts