Status
Not open for further replies.

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
I am about to have a Slingbox shipped to my parents. It is going to be plugged into their analog cable so I can follow the local sports teams (Comcast, Fox Sport Net, etc.). Anyway, I have a quick question about the Slingplayer software that is also shipped with the unit:

Is the Slingplayer software matched to a particular Slingbox (i.e. with a soft certification that is matched to that particular unit) or does it use a keycode? If it is uses a certificate then I will have no choice but to have them send me the CD.

If it uses a keycode, is there anyplace to download the Slingplayer software so my parents don't have to forward the media?

I'm really looking forward to using the Slingbox...

Thanks in advance!

It uses a Slingplayer ID which is like a big serial number. Once you have that you program it in the software and your good to go.

My Sling software has 5 slingboxes which it is set to connect to so I can watch TV from around the country. :D

Yep, I was thinking how cool it would be to drop in a Slingbox or two behind the TV and share one out with family & friends, and anyone else wanting to use the other. Is there a Slingbox share group? I did the math earlier and have almost convinced one of my die hard "Sunday Ticket" fans to dump his subscription: I can view 100 of 256 (40%) NFL games via national, local, and the use of only 1 Slingbox.:)

Scott Greczkowski said:
It uses a Slingplayer ID which is like a big serial number. Once you have that you program it in the software and your good to go.

My Sling software has 5 slingboxes which it is set to connect to so I can watch TV from around the country. :D
Scott, just to make sure...I downloaded the Slingplayer client...all I should have to do is have my parents give me the SlingPlayer ID number and I'm in business, correct?

Limitations-

You have to understand that while locals can watch while a remote client is in control of the tuner, if the local decides to switch channels on you, then you switch back etc. it is like two people in the same room, each with their own remote having a battle over one tuner. But in this case, you can't communicate with the other unless you call them on the phone. The local will always win as they can pull the plug on you! :)

Not an issue since it's analog cable and the Slingbox has an NTSC tuner. Anyway, the box was a piece of cake to set up...managed to walk my dad through the setup and configure the firewall in just a few minutes.

Well I got to watch a baseball game the other day and the product works as advertised. It's a good thing I have maintained my parents address as my home or record the past 25 years or else I would be in violation of copyright law.:rolleyes:

Additionally, I picked up a Slingbox for our home from Circuit City since they were on sale for $149.99, and this weekend was a tax holiday (CC was not charging sales tax on any of their merchandise).:)

Hope the government doesn't find out about that, lol. The tax free holiday weekend was supposed to be on clothes and shoes only. :D

That's not a bad price for it!! Now I wish I had picked one up. :(

Neutron said:
Hope the government doesn't find out about that, lol. The tax free holiday weekend was supposed to be on clothes and shoes only. :D

Depends what state you're in. Tn allowed computers up to $1500 to be tax free as well.

Neutron said:
Hope the government doesn't find out about that, lol. The tax free holiday weekend was supposed to be on clothes and shoes only. :D(
Back to school items, to includes computers, etc., are covered here in VA...but certainly not HDTVs and Slingboxes. Circuit City, and a few other retailers, decide to suck it up and pay the customers the sales tax for all non qualified purchases - that's legal and it saved me $8.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)