Slingbox Solo Intermittant Hangs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

prcasher

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 11, 2004
Having problems with my Slingbox Solo hanging and frustrated with the idea of investing another 25% of the cost just to talk to their customer support after the 1 year warranty I bought the Monsoon Hava Platimum but I did leave the Slingbox hooked up so we'd have both to play with while snowbirding. Just had to use the S-video for the Hava and the composite video for the Slingbox.

Thinking the Slingbox problem was a buffering problem tried running with buffering off but that didn't help. Changed capacitors still the same problem. It seems to occur after half hour of viewing, remote only, but sometimes sooner.

Was watching speedtest and durring the upload portion of the test it would go up to 310k but then drop to 260k. Had dsl ISP check it out and they fixed the problem but I upgraded service anyway so minimum upload rating is now above 384k. Went remote again and it still hung.

I've saw posts about heat and powersupply problems so I moved the Slingbox from atop the Dish 522 dvr and lowered the enviorment temperature 10 degrees. It seems to be working, time will tell.

Noted that the streaming rate on the Slingbox would drop occasionally to the lower 200ks but the rate on the Hava would drop to the higher 200k's and the picture on either would get a little messy but more so on the Slingbox. I'm thinking it's either internet bandwith or server overload problem.

The wife is the major user and I've been asking her which she used last night and she says so far it's the Hava, she dosen't like the amount of time the Slingbox takes to connect. I don't notice it so much but my laptop is slower than hers.

Oops, Hung the last 2 times I tested it so I guess I'll have to wait till we get back from snowbirding to try something else.

prcasher said:
Oops, Hung the last 2 times I tested it so I guess I'll have to wait till we get back from snowbirding to try something else.

There is a known but not acknowledged issue with capacitors inside the hardware going bad. You may want to search for other place shifting forums for enthusiasts to find more details and fixes for the bad boxes.

There is a known but not acknowledged issue with capacitors inside the hardware going bad. You may want to search for other place shifting forums for enthusiasts to find more details and fixes for the bad boxes.

From my origional post;

"Thinking the Slingbox problem was a buffering problem tried running with buffering off but that didn't help. Changed capacitors still the same problem. It seems to occur after half hour of viewing, remote only, but sometimes sooner."

I did have a problem with my router here at our snowbird location and upgraded to a Netgear WNR1000 yesterday. Wanted to test it out this morning but the SlingPlayer wouldn't connect. Heard roomers they were moving their servers to Denver so gave up trying to connect then this afternoon I was able to connect and the streamming was running in the 300k's but regretfully it still hung "optimizing".

Are you using the new Slingplayer software? If so, go back to the original one.

Using version 2.0.4.521 will check it out but it was happening before the recent upgrade.

Last edited:
Was also having problems with our voip phone (NetTalk) and was reading on thier forum where someone had to go back to the origional firmware on their Netgear WNR 1000 to get that to work so I went back to the origional firmware and the voip works fine so started up the Slingbox and it's been running great for a couple of hours now. Maybe it's been remote router problems all along which would make sense as it worked fine locally, time will tell.

Oops, Hung again this morning after about 45 min., now trying with router SPI firewall disabled.

Failed again so re-enabled NAT filtering and tried port triggering had trouble figuring port but found service PID and used that but it failed after a short while. Guess I'll give up, I think I have a lemon. The wife is happy with the Hava for now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)