SlingGuide Beta- VIP612

tsanders3

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Simpsonville, SC
In the Tech Forum Monday night the guy from Sling mention that the Sling Guide would work with the VIP612. I have tried to get it to work with my VIP612 and it says the DVR is not on the internet. I know it is and figure a software update may be needed for the VIP612. Has any VIP 612 owners got it to work? The requirements state a VIP 622 or 722 in needed but I was hoping that may change as the 612 was mentioned as one that would work.

I heard the same thing. It is listed in the tech chat recap on this site, also. I am having the same "not connected " message you are getting with the 612. I guess we'll have to wait!

Yes, I am signed up and also have rechecked that the box is on the internet.

Did you get a SlingGuide Invitation to join the Beta since then? I checked the box on 01/05/2009 and received my Invitation on 01/31/2009. You can't gain access until you receive the Invite.

The 612 needs a SW update before it will work with the sling guide. It does not have the "web activation" menu option under "broadband setup" in the Installation menu as the 622/722 do. Once again us 612 users are on the outside looking in. I am convinced that there must not be very many 612's in the field since Dish seems very lax on fixing the many ongoing problems that many of us are having with this box. "Soon" is the only answer I am able to get from tech support on when a fix is coming.

I thought that could be it. I have been thinking about upgrading to the 622 or 722 because they seem to be on track for regular updates and have the SlingGuide now. We have one TV and when I signed up they said I had to get the 612. Now I see on the website the 622 is for one or two TVs. Also, the 622/722 have PIP that would be nice.
The 922 DVR/Slingbox looks good and I might wait on that.

I thought that could be it. I have been thinking about upgrading to the 622 or 722 because they seem to be on track for regular updates and have the SlingGuide now. We have one TV and when I signed up they said I had to get the 612. Now I see on the website the 622 is for one or two TVs. Also, the 622/722 have PIP that would be nice.
The 922 DVR/Slingbox looks good and I might wait on that.

You may have a long wait. Latest rumor for the 922 is 2010. They don't even have all the k models out yet.

You may have a long wait. Latest rumor for the 922 is 2010. They don't even have all the k models out yet.

Really? The latest rumor? Some guy on the Internet jokes that it's going to be 2010 and now it's a "rumor."

Hey, I hear that Barack Obama is going to nominate Donald Trump to be commerce secretary, and that NBC will film the confirmation as part of a new reality show to air during May sweeps.

Really? The latest rumor? Some guy on the Internet jokes that it's going to be 2010 and now it's a "rumor.

Even if it is a joke, as I stated all the k models are not out yet and IIRC the 722k was supposed to have been out back in December.

The 222k is a available have installed 2 on eastern arc in the last week. My broadband setting for my 622 and 722 didn't have web activation until I added them to sling guide. After I registered each receiver # then web activation was part of the broadband menu. then by registering each witha 7 digit # the became active on sling guide.

The 612 needs a SW update before it will work with the sling guide. It does not have the "web activation" menu option under "broadband setup" in the Installation menu as the 622/722 do. Once again us 612 users are on the outside looking in. I am convinced that there must not be very many 612's in the field since Dish seems very lax on fixing the many ongoing problems that many of us are having with this box. "Soon" is the only answer I am able to get from tech support on when a fix is coming.

Well, now that just sucks. I went out and bought a homeplug, set up the network, and everything is working just fine, except no slingguide. Slingguide was the main reason I got the homeplug. Any idea on when a software update might be coming to fix this?

My 622 and 722 didn't have the web actiation setup on the broadband screen. Once i entered the R00 number web activation was available. Then web activate the receiver enter the code and yer up and runnin with sling guide. I had L616 when I activated both my 622 and 722.

My 622 and 722 didn't have the web actiation setup on the broadband screen. Once i entered the R00 number web activation was available. Then web activate the receiver enter the code and yer up and runnin with sling guide. I had L616 when I activated both my 622 and 722.

I think the 612 still uses L602.

My VIP612 has L602 on it. I signed up for the beta and after I put in the R# it just tells me that my device is not online. Now I can download things from DishOnline so I know the ethernet connection is working. So I guess the 612's don't work yet.

Software update

Was chatting about another issue last night with Dish and they indicated a software update was in order. One was coming to fix several 612 problems (Yea!) in a few weeks but the impression I got was the priority was on bug fixes first and then Sling Guide later.
At least I am ready with my invitation when it is ready.

Few Weeks

So I'm new to dish, but from what I've read a few weeks means when ever we feel like it. That sound about right