SlingGuide Disappointment

SKrueger

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 18, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
So far I've found the SlingGuide beta to work very well. A couple of glitches but I'm sure they are working on those. What is extremely disappointing to me and confirmed by last night's Tech Chat is that Dish has chosen to ignore thousands of their customer and target the mobile version to IPhone users only.:mad: What's with that?

Are you listening Dish? You need to at least support ALL of the most popular mobile OS's out there. Your Mobile interface needs to at least support, in addition to the IPhone, Windows Mobile phones, Blackberry phones and probably even Palm also.

So far I've found the SlingGuide beta to work very well. A couple of glitches but I'm sure they are working on those. What is extremely disappointing to me and confirmed by last night's Tech Chat is that Dish has chosen to ignore thousands of their customer and target the mobile version to IPhone users only.:mad: What's with that?

Are you listening Dish? You need to at least support ALL of the most popular mobile OS's out there. Your Mobile interface needs to at least support, in addition to the IPhone, Windows Mobile phones, Blackberry phones and probably even Palm also.

ACTUALLY BLACKBERRYS ARE SUPPORTED SEE THE CHAT RECAP FOR MORE INFO

ACTUALLY BLACKBERRYS ARE SUPPORTED SEE THE CHAT RECAP FOR MORE INFO

They are supported for the Sling Player as well as are windows mobile phones but the current Dish SlingGuide (separate from the Sling Player) mobile version is designed to work with IPhones and that was stated in the Tech Chat.

I do not know about Dish, but most Beta testers sign non disclosure agreements. Dish does not require one?

I checked a box saying such. As such, I don't know if we should discuss this further. All I have to say is the software is not finalized, so patience may be required for all smart phones to be supported, and I love the service so far.

My wife and I bought iphones because everyone and their mom supports them. Even google seems to support the iphone more than their own phone. That move seems even smarter know that I can use the sling guide anywhere. To me the slingguide seems more responsive and reliable on the Iphone than in IE on a PC.

That being said, I'm sure Sling will support the platforms you mentioned which will cover the Moto QC9.

To be clear, I am absolutly NOT a mac fan boy. We don't even run the itunes virus on any PC except the slowest one in the house.

They did with their first one ages ago, but this is an open public beta no NDA.

The site says "Limited beta" and you can't just sign up, participants are still required to request and be allowed access. I was granted access 2 weeks ago and I remember having to check a box with NDA restrictions.

NightRyder

My wife and I bought iphones because everyone and their mom supports them. Even google seems to support the iphone more than their own phone. That move seems even smarter know that I can use the sling guide anywhere. To me the slingguide seems more responsive and reliable on the Iphone than in IE on a PC.

That being said, I'm sure Sling will support the platforms you mentioned which will cover the Moto QC9.

To be clear, I am absolutly NOT a mac fan boy. We don't even run the itunes virus on any PC except the slowest one in the house.

I hear ya, I just switched from a tilt to an iPhone for the same reason. No one is writing for WinMobile now. Granted I could get my sling box to work, but not much else. Sling should have their iPhone app running soon (I hope).

My wife and I bought iphones because everyone and their mom supports them.

Yes and No. There is a lot of good stuff out there for them and it is undeniably a good consumer phone. That said, it is not a good business phone. No direct syncing out Outlook altho' I'm sure it can be done by jumping through 3rd party apps. Also since AT&T does not allow tethering again you limit the business functionality of the phone. Then again there is that whole being locked into AT&T for service issue.

Yes and No. There is a lot of good stuff out there for them and it is undeniably a good consumer phone. That said, it is not a good business phone. No direct syncing out Outlook altho' I'm sure it can be done by jumping through 3rd party apps.

Not sure what you mean by "no direct syncing". Are you referring to using a cable to sync? I just use the phone's over-the-air syncing and it works great for email, calendar and contacts.

What's the link for the Blackberry app? I have a Curve. Is it a special URL (I use Opera Mini), or is it an app?

PM me.

(I'm on the Sling beta)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)