SlingLink comes free with 922

jazzs

Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
nj
I was concerned that I would have to run a wire from router to 922, but was happy that install came free with a SlingLink.

SlingLink- wires to your router and then all electrical plugs in the house have internet connection that all boxes including 722 can use. No need for phone wires or internet into any dish boxes.

Got mine for free from my installer yesterday (5/13) in Longmont, CO. I already had a through-the-home-power-wiring ethernet setup (that didn't work as well as the SlingLink), so had to remove that from my home (as I *assume* the two systems would butt heads).

The sling broadcast stuttered (annoyingly so, but not debilitatingly so) on my PC so we tried multiple paths from the 922 to my router. The SlingLink worked best (between that, wifi, and my own through-the-power-system adaptor). We did not try to direct-connect (removing my router, temporarily, from the system) to eliminate something in my end of things from causing the conflict, though the technician (and his manager, who is supervising 922 installs right now to gain familiarity) left me with a 5-port switch to make that process simple. I also got an additional HDMI cable (would probably cost $8 at monoprice or $35 at Best Buy) left behind.

I spent a bit of time monkeying with router settings, and maybe have cleared things up (there may have been a WINS conflict), but haven't had enough time to finish the troubleshooting. I have had other devices drop connections through this router in the past, so I didn't want to keep the Dish Network folks on site for too long, though they were exceptionally willing to work with me until we tracked down the reason for the sub-par Sling performance on my PC.

Really a wonderful experience all said-and-done. I would think that different installer shops would have different protocols regarding leaving SlingLinks, 5-port switch boxes, unused HDMI cables, etc. behind for customer use.

They only give it to you if you really need it in your set up. My installer used 3 to connect the remaining two receivers to my router. Before the install I didn't know two slinglinks could link up to one to connect to a router.

They are not supposed to, but some installers will do it if it makes the install easier for them.

Time is money. :)

When I did my dishmover 6 months ago, the installer gave me a slinglink so I would not have to wire the 3 VIPs into the router. Made my life so much easier.

The installer gave me a Slinglink free yesterday when my new 922 would not connect via my existing Netgear Powerline/ethernet adapters. We tried about 2 or 3 times and then he got one out of the truck and bingo. I'm in Houston.

Excuse the novice question. I have three boxes (2 -722's and a 508). The 722's are hooked to phone lines, and none of the three are anywhere near my DSL Router. Is the Slinglink a possibility to upgrade the 508 to a 922? DSL requires filters on my phone jacks to avoid interference, so I'm not sure what my options might be, or am I just hosed.

Thanks in advance.

I just got my 922 last week. I was using Netgear ethernet/powerline adapters for some other computers and the 622 Homeplug worked with it fine. Not so the 922. Out to the truck the installer went and got a Slinklink and plugged into the AC by my router instead of the Netgear adapter. Using an ethernet cable of course it's connected to my router. Now the 922 Homeplug is working just fine from another room. And my other computers and printers connect also.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)