SlingLoaded over WAN to TV?

derekcentrico

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
Florida
Okay, so I'm debating between the 922 Slingloaded or getting a 722 with the Sling adapter which is $100 less than the 922. Either way, I'm a little perplexed by the information provided by DISH. Please, if anyone can answer, I would like to hear the resolution.

1) Does the Slingloaded or Sling adapter allow for using the standard desktop software provided by Slindmedia or do you have to sign into the DISHNETWORK website to view? I hate in-browser viewing for the most part.

2) Has anyone successfully setup some sort of VPN or network connection so that the Sling data can be viewed on a standard TV rather than a PC connected to a PC? (GoogleTV isn't supported yet by Slingmedia). Sling Media - Sling Receiver 300 is the system I'm referencing. It's similar to their old "Sling Catcher" setup.

My goal is to be able to stream the TV signals from the home to the farm via broadband. I'd like to just have it setup to the TV rather than a whole crazy contraption.

EDIT: It would be sweet if Slingmedia would just announce support for Google TV, which would cause me to buy one and to buy into the DISH Slingloaded idea.

The performance over a WAN is going to be entirely dependent on the speed and latency of the WAN. VPN adds a layer of overhead (both bandwidth and latency) that may hinder high-bandwidth applications.

If your Internet connection doesn't meet (or is on the edge of) the bandwidth and/or latency requirements, adding VPN to the existing Sling tunneling is almost certain to make it worse.

Agreed. Do you have any suggestions or ideas about getting Sling to stream WAN onto a TV without having to get a CPU hooked up to it?

It appears that the Extender set-top box would only work on a LAN and not via WAN. This makes me think you'd have to figure out some sort of VPN setup to get it to work elsewhere?

Also, I'm trying to find any way to do this Everywhere solution without having to setup an extra PC next to the TV. I had heard that Boxee, Roku, and GoogleTV were on the list for Slingplayer apps. But, that appears to have not come to reality. GoogleTV, though, looks promising but could be a couple of years away. God knows Slingmedia moves slower than a snail.

Has anyone gotten Sling to stream to a standalone box/device other than a PC that connects to your TV?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)