Status
Please reply by conversation.

jgags6

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Rockford,IL
I'm looking for any help you guys can give me on my slow HR34. I've had a 34 for about 3 years now and earlier this year my original 34 died and I was shipped out a replacement 34 (I asked for a 44 but we all know that they send whatever they have on the shelf). The replacement 34 was slower out of the box than my original, but over the past 2-3 months it has gotten a lot worse. In fact it is almost unbearable. Before just the clients would lag, but now the actual 34 is lagging big time. I have tried the CLEARMYBOX and restarting the 34 with the red button four times in a row and nothing seems to help. I have called Directv and asked if they can replace my box with a 44 and each time they say they cannot request a 44 because the 34 and 44 are just considered Genies.

Is there anything else I can try in order to speed my 34 up? Is there another route to get a 44 shipped out to me? I am out of contract and although I don't want to switch, I'm not sure how much longer I can stand the lag.

Thanks for the help!

Calla and tell them some of the time it won't boot up for several minutes, sometimes locks up completely, , and it probably needs to be replaced. Ask for a service call because you were also getting 771 messages. Service call will be $50, free if you have the protection plan. When the tech calls you, ask if he has an HR44 (or HR54, but unlikely in Illinois) on the truck and if he hasn't, reschedule.
If you don't have a service call, and they mail you a replacement Genie, it could just as easily be an HR34.

Call them and tell them you have code 15 on the screen. Since they already sent you a replacement a service call would be required. Find out from tech what he has on truck when he calls on the way.

As a last resort, order a HR44 from Solid Signal this is last resort (because it would cost you money), when you get it, set up the 44, remove the 34, Call D* to cancel the 34.
Once swap is complete, have D* send you a box to return your 34 and while your on the phone talk with them (probably retention would be the best bet) and tell them what you've been going thru and that you've decided that getting your own is the only option left and ask if they will reimburse any or all of your cost as you wanted to stay with D* but was very un happy with the response of the 34 and D* would not do anything for you as in upgrading you.

Just an update: Yesterday I also emailed The Office of the President at Directv and told them about the issues I am having and about 6 hours later I received a call from someone at that office. He understood what I was going through and said he could request a 44 and have it sent out to me. No cost for me (not even shipping) and he said it should arrive by the end of the week.

Just an update: Yesterday I also emailed The Office of the President at Directv and told them about the issues I am having and about 6 hours later I received a call from someone at that office. He understood what I was going through and said he could request a 44 and have it sent out to me. No cost for me (not even shipping) and he said it should arrive by the end of the week.
Excellent !

I thought the email to the Office of the Pres didn't work anymore ...

Why do you think you will get an HR54 in a week??

I called DirecTV today around 12:30 pm Local time, about my HR34. It was just beyond slow, my AM21 tuner stopped functioning with it in June. I tried to get the Phone Support person to get me a replacement but only if I got a HR44, no dice. She sent a Local DirecTV service person. I got a service appointment same day about 2 hours later. When he showed up I told him about all the problems with my HR34 and he brought in and installed a HR44 no problem. Thankfully that POS HR34 is GONE, sadly with a bunch of Content I will have to re-record.

Reactions: ejb1980
I'm currently dealing with this as I went from 2 HR24's and an HR21 to a Genie which ended up being an HR34. I did not know to ask for a 44 until it was too late....After being upgraded for about a week or two now, the HR34 is getting worse. Everything installed correctly, signal good, connections tight - and to say the HR34 is unstable would be an understatement! Things I've never seen happen are happening, like pixilation when the weather is perfect or partial recordings, to the guide data looking funky with blue lines all over it and blank live tv until you turn off/back on and the lag......the lag is something I could actually live with, but it's all the other things. Even doing a RBR which always helped on the HR24's or 21 if something was wrong - but this HR34, a RBR doesn't always solve the problem and you end up having to do it 2 or 3 times......Please do tell me how you emailed the president?

DirecTV should REPLACE Every HR34 with a HR44. The new Firmware for the Genie boxes (All Three units HR54, HR44 and HR34 use the same firmware) has turned the HR34 into an UNstable POS.

Reactions: ejb1980
DirecTV should REPLACE Every HR34 with a HR44. The new Firmware for the Genie boxes (All Three units HR54, HR44 and HR34 use the same firmware) has turned the HR34 into an UNstable POS.
Who says they have the same firmware ?

Each new box generally comes out with a faster better processor.
From what I have seen, the $$ is lightyears ahead of the 34 ....

Then again, the same could be said about previous recvrs, the HR20's were great for a long time (and had a OTA tuner in them), then came the HR21,22 and 23, most were dogs ... I held on to my HR20 till I saw the major improvements when the HR24s came out ... the 24 has been very good a strong performer for them.

The 34 came out and most were excited about it, over time it went downhill, the 44's came out and people were again excited for the new recvrs.

My Hr24s have been very good and the HR44 has also followed suit being very good.

I had the same issues as the OP. I was on my second HR34 too. Called and got a service call (I have the PP). Tech came out Friday. I explained to him about the issues I was having with the 34. He didn't even check it. Said, "I brought you a new HR44." Then he proceeds to swap out my LNB, my splitter and replace all the connections on the cables outside. Fantastic service call, best one I've had in 12 years with DirecTV. Earned him a nice tip.

According to this website (http://www.redh.com/dtv/) that keeps track of DirecTV Firmware all but one model of the HR54 use the same firmware. The current firmware for the Genie is 0x0A72
That's software isn't it ?
Regardless, software firmware, the processors is more than likely the biggest difference.

Now if the Processors are the sam then I don't know what they have done to bog the 34 down.

You got lucky with the new HR44! I'm still well within the 90 day warranty period. I did turn off native (it was on) and it made a huge difference, but still didn't solve other issues......I've had DirecTV since 2008. The installer put my dish up and it hasn't been touched since and I still have good signal strength. And over those years we have had some hellacious weather. I really do LOVE the small footprint of the genie mini's ,but dear God the HR34 is the worst DOG of all the DVR's I've ever experienced and I can't believe they are STILL giving them to people with installations....I wish I had KNOWN this beforehand.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts