Smallest C-Band Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If you ever want a 12 footer, it won't be an inexpensive "hobby". Even finding a used 10 footer in good condition will be difficult to find. If I have to replace or re-mesh my 12 footers, I'll probably stop doing this and just pay for streaming off the internet - depends on what I can afford or willing to pay. With Netflix jacking up their prices next month, I might just drop them and just live with what I can get OTA (not a big selection of stations around here). Or, I could just go do something constructive.
Not too hard, just have to keep eyes and ears open. A couple of months ago I came home with a brand new 10 foot unimesh perforated dis with a new actuator and a spare C-band mount. Cost, gas for a 500 mile round trip and a day.

I'm using a 6 footer for C-Band. Only one I have ever had so I have nothing to compare it to. After everything I read about dishes I was, and still am, surprised at how well it works. I got this because it was being thrown away.

However, if I was going to buy one I would get nothing less than 10 foot.

Anyone see a BirdView dish lately? Had one with a horizon to horizon drive that worked well.
There is one 1/2 mile from me that the 85 year old widow said I can have. The only problem is that it is on a 20 foot pole attached to her trailer. My wife will kill me if I try to remove it.

Reactions: FTA4PA
There are TONS of "free for the watching to anybody that has the equipment" c-band channels and feeds up there. It's like the mid-'80's before scrambling, only better and MUCH cheaper (many times just for the asking to get a dish and such)!
I think you've considerably overstated the attraction compared to the "mid-80's". In the mid-80's you could get network feeds of popular TV shows days in advance and a large selection of sporting events (some of which are >$40 PPV today). Most all of that is long gone.

Back then, you could subscribe to cable channels fer cheap and that's gone now too. There's lots of content now but the appeal of said content can be pretty narrow and you certainly can't discuss it around the water cooler.

I don’t know what the C-band environment is like today, but I do remember the evolution back in the eighties. The excitement in the beginning was being one of the early adopters...when the providers hadn’t realized yet that we were online and seeing their clear transmissions. Within a fairly short period of time they started encrypting stuff and charging for subscriptions...each channel one by one. Eventually package subscriptions started to appear...the golden times were going away.
There were also down sides as the satellites were low powered requiring large dishes...hence many people experienced the notorious “Sparklies” effect. There was a lot of talk of Ku band becoming the next frontier, but by then the attraction was dissipating and I don’t recall that it really took off.
I am a nostalgia fan which is the reason that I still have an interest in Pioneer’s LaserDisc, Sony’s 8mm AV recorder and even 8 track and 4 track tapes in spite of their limitations and flaws. :)

I don’t know what the C-band environment is like today, but I do remember the evolution back in the eighties. The excitement in the beginning was being one of the early adopters...when the providers hadn’t realized yet that we were online and seeing their clear transmissions. Within a fairly short period of time they started encrypting stuff and charging for subscriptions...each channel one by one. Eventually package subscriptions started to appear...the golden times were going away.
There were also down sides as the satellites were low powered requiring large dishes...hence many people experienced the notorious “Sparklies” effect. There was a lot of talk of Ku band becoming the next frontier, but by then the attraction was dissipating and I don’t recall that it really took off.
I am a nostalgia fan which is the reason that I still have an interest in Pioneer’s LaserDisc, Sony’s 8mm AV recorder and even 8 track and 4 track tapes in spite of their limitations and flaws. :)
In 1983 I was US Army Satcom in Landstuhl West Germany. (after spending all of 1982 in satellite school) We had a FSC-78 (60 foot/7 story dish) and a GSC-39 (38 foot newer version). I used to hear from my friends in the US how great C band was as they laughed at me for maintaining a huge earth station and watching nothing. :) In 1985 (after saying no to re-enlisting for 6 more years) I was sent to Honduras to baby sit a TSC-85 (10 foot Tactical dish with a van) I hated that last year with that 10 footer. Fast forward to 2013, my wife found a 10 foot Winegard for $75 disassembled and ready to move 4 miles from our home. I got it mounted in late 2013 and parked it on 116.8 for the winter. Fast forward to 2017. I have had more fun with this 10 footer than I ever would have imagined. I still work full time, so I play with it after work and on the weekends There is still plenty of interesting programming in the clear!

Just my $0.02
Norman

There is nothing more frustrating than to be tantalized by a signal only for it to go out every time there is a cloud in the sky or it rains, or there is a breeze or a bird poops on the dish, or the Gods are in a playful mood. I would find a way of hiding the dish from the HOA rather then trying to make Cband work on ANYTHING less than 6'

Last edited:
Our BirdView was 9’ and it was still marginal. I think the LNA you use and the ability to set the skew correctly would be critical.

What uses are there for C-band aside from curiosity? Part of me is still tempted to try and get one one of these days, the smaller the better.
With C-Band it is the bigger the better. There is still LOTS of programming ITC on C-band. I used a 1 meter KU band dish for 10 years. 4 years ago I put up a 10 footer and rarely use the 1 meter anymore.

What uses are there for C-band aside from curiosity? Part of me is still tempted to try and get one one of these days, the smaller the better.

It really depends on whether the hobby fits your style. First off, i don't do pay TV. If you're expecting HBO, etc, buy Dish Network. But, if your like me, who likes watching some of the odd ball channels, who has access to channels that are not designed for main stream.. If you enjoy finding new channels pop up, if you enjoy watching feed channels where you can watch the news anchor chat with the camera guy and hawk a spit before airtime.. These are some of the experiences you have access too. Not to say there aren't some great FTA entertainment channels to watch too, but I often tune to some odd ball channel and leave it there for background noise and i find i learn interesting things, or see interesting things.

That being said, the other family members watch the C/KU TV a lot. My mother in Law is Hispanic, and there is a LOT of FTA Spanish channels, and there are a good number of KID friendly channels. But, the only reason they watch it now, is because i made it VERY user friendly. Being i hooked up so many fixed dishes, i have a large number of channels that can be tuned from 4 different TV's in the home, and can be channel surfed and pulled up instantly. I have an 8' foot fixed, a 10 foot fixed, and a 12' movable for me! The 8 footer would NOT be a good dish for probing. I purposefully have it fixed on a bird that has lots of strong transponders. There are LOTs of Signals the 8 footers CANNOT pull in. the 10 footer pulls in 99% of everything you would want, and my 12 footer pulls in 100%. This should tell you why so many people are telling you anything less than 6' is a waste of time, and i personally think 8 foot should really be the minimum if you want to be happy.

Remeber people live in apartment complexes and HOA's have to deal with small dishes.

Attachments

• 20170222_170657.jpg
    20170222_170657.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: k.r.
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)