Smart Cards

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
News Corp paid a subsidiary company to "reverse engineer" [read: hack] DishNetwork smart card technology. They all claim it was to reverse engineer, but... why?

And it just so happens Rupert hates Charlie... hmmm...

Basically, if that information "happens" to get online, free TV for everyone... so now you have purple cards.

Didn't anyone read about the $1b lawsuit against DirecTV that the judge only awarded $1,x00 to Dish for one confirmed case? :p

right - but he asked why the cards were being swapped & so-forth.

On a side-note, apparently my VIP222 doesn't need a card either...

Oh it's not like I have some sweet inside information or anything, I just got one card for my VIP722 heh. Hang on, I'll check my DNASP.............

*gasp* a trend!

*runs around flailing his arms*

I thought it's been posted elsewhere that it should be completed by the end of January.

Nopers - runs for a year. You're talking about 14+ million exchanges... Can you imagine the call volume and up-front investment costs in that?? :p

The front panel may have come slightly loose.....remove the five screws (around the back and under the receiver).........pull the front panel off slowly by pressing the four plastic tabs at the front. Then put the card in the front panel slot, by opening the door, and push the panel back on, making sure that the card enters the beige colored card reader slot on the board......then screw back up and enjoy.

That was easy. I opened it up and the slot and the card holder wasn't lined up properly. So the card was going under the card holder instead of in it. I just pushed down on it slightly and it went in. Thanks, man.

Nopers - runs for a year. You're talking about 14+ million exchanges... Can you imagine the call volume and up-front investment costs in that?? :p

I have to think that you heard "over this year" rather than "a year".

The receiver replacement program strongly implies that the old receivers won't be working in a matter of weeks.

Previous smart card exchange programs took only a few months. Dish sends out 14 million bills every month - sending out cards is not all that much different.

Customers report that the smart card change is entirely automated, and requires no phone call, no online access, nothing at all, just change the cards.

All receivers sold in the last 6+ months already have the new cards.

I've also heard it will be complete by the end of January. There is no reason that it would take a full year to do the swap.

replacement issue

I put in the new card, and the receiver updated. I did it before going to bed, so as not to have to wait around. Never saw the "OK" screen, and all programing came back ---- with the exception of channel 501 the VOD 1080P channel. It disappeared. Did this happen to anyone else?

steve

I have a 211, I thought the card slot was inactive? IT'S NOW ACTIVE? I have not gotten any cards in the mail.

my DNASP: 206 Dsh78A

Well sure there's a reason to take a year - So they don't have to deal with the 34215431543 oafs that don't understand the concept "arrow facing in."

All smart card slots are active. You can take a vip211, put a card in from a 3900, wait 'til the error comes up, then pull it out and the receiver will perform a smart-card reset.

Channel 998 (smart card channel) showed up yesterday and my smart cards arrived today (for a vip722 and a vip211):) Very easy to install, total time 5 minutes (start to finish) for the 722 and 3 minutes for the 211! Easiest thing I've had since I started with Dish:D