Smart Search issue

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Neil Linden

Original poster
Mar 3, 2017
Reno, NV
I use the DirecTV feature (Genie - HR-44-500 receiver) called Smart Search. This allows me to find a TV show using the alphabetical keypad. It always worked fine. But with my DirecTV receiver set up with an internet connection, the Smart Search feature is disabled and no longer works. It does not function correctly. Turn off my modem, all is fine. Weird? DirecTV has no answer yet for me. They seemed bewildered.

:welcome to Satelliteguys Neil!

How is your HR44 connected, wired or wireless? Is your receiver connected the same as the HR44?

My HR44 receiver has a wireless connection to my router.
You asked "Is your receiver connected the same as the HR44"
The HR44 is my DirecTV receiver so I do not understand the question.
Visited my brother in Oakland CA and his does the same thing.

My HR44 receiver has a wireless connection to my router.
You asked "Is your receiver connected the same as the HR44"
The HR44 is my DirecTV receiver so I do not understand the question.
Visited my brother in Oakland CA and his does the same thing.
Sorry, I assumed you had an actual receiver since the HR44 is a dvr. Most people have a receiver or dvr in addition to their Genie since you have to pay for whole home anyways.
I don't see how the search function could work at all when you turn your modem off. Do you have a separate wireless router?

You clearly have no idea about the smart search feature.
Smart Search never required internet.
Smart search simple finds TV shows on the guide based upon the name of the show.
I used it way before I ever connected my DVR with the internet.
As I said, when my modem is disconnected, Smart Search functions perfectly.
Do you have a DirecTV DVR? Try using Smart Search.

I've been with Directv since 1999, had a dvr since the HR20 came out. I've used Smart Search many times. What I didn't realize is that it's satellite based and not internet based. Thanks for that information. Your snarky response is duly noted. If you wish any further help, I suggest you dial it back a bit.

I don't think that is entirely accurate. I believe there is some internet used for smart search

I made the assumption that you understood how it operates. My apology. The fact remains that when I turn off my modem and thereby lose internet connection, it works fine. As soon as I re-connect, it fails to function properly. With the internet connection off, I was able to use the feature but kept getting a message on the screen asking me to re-connect. There is some internet interaction when it tries to set up On Demand, which is related. But the internet is not needed to just list the shows that begin with the letters that you type in, and to give you other live showings available - and that's the feature that stops working. Very strange!! DirecTV was supposed to elevate my inquiry and get back to me but they have not. BTW I visited my brother in a different state who also has the genie set up and found the exact same problem. I will try reaching DirecTV again this week. I am not sure they have any idea how it works either. Sorry if that sounds snarky. They aren't even aware of the issue.

Reactions: raoul5788
My HR44 is also connected to the internet via wireless, and I have an HR24 connected, too, My search works fine. Perhaps it's something in your setup.

Neil is correct, the Search does not rely on the internet, however, it does have to be able to find the on-demand stuff which I would imagine comes from the internet (we know the actual on Demand shows do).

That said, I too have the same type of set up .... HR44 and Hr24 and search works fine.

Chip may have found a loophole ..... my Hr44 is connected Wirelessly, how is yours connected ?
Just curious if it would make a difference.

Do you have a Cinema Connection kit for the HR24 in addition to the HR44? It may be there are too many paths to the internet. This is not an uncommon problem where customers have multiple paths to the internet and are unaware of them. If you have any other connection to the internet, besides the wireless via the HR44, disconnect them. Reboot all receivers and reconnect to the internet via wireless. See if that clears up the issue. If not, I would try hard wiring the HR44 directly to the router, with no other internet connections. Let us know if any of this helps.

My only receiver is an HR44, I have no HR24 but there are two C41-700 mini units in other rooms.
Perhaps my specific use of Smart Search is unclear. Once you go to Search & Browse, then Smart Search, a keypad shows up on the left side. When I type a letter, a list of shows beginning with that letter comes up. Then, when I type in a second letter, the list displayed no longer has any correspondence to the letters typed. But when I disconnect my modem and the internet dis-connected, that function does work perfectly. Of course it keeps reminding me to connect to the internet as there are some features like On Demand that DO require the internet connection, but the alphabetical search for any program does not require internet. As I mentioned, I tried the same feature on my brother's system in a different state and had the identical issue - just like here - only when the internet is connected.

BTW, the HR44 is only connected wirelessly to my router - but that was NOT a problem for quite a while. Should I try a wired connection?

I sounds like your HR44 is defective. Mine is connected the same way and I have no issues with it.

Pretty mysterious. That makes me not want to try ethernet cable solution, but still waiting to hear from DirecTV - I do have a feeling they will not get back to me.
(service was better before AT&T - they would send a tech but now only if you pay the monthly home service fee)
Hard to imagine a defect that would only affect one function and only when connected to the internet AND very strange that my brother in CA has an HR44 that is defective the exact same way as mine.

You are not going to lose anything with trying the cable solution. Go buy a patch cable from Best Buy and test it out

You are not going to lose anything with trying the cable solution. Go buy a patch cable from Best Buy and test it out
Exactly ... don't run one permanently, run one temp to see if that resolves the issue ... if it does, then decide on one that can be run permanently.

Now that I'm back home I can try this ...
I too have the same set up, HR44 wirelessly connected to my router.
I went to the Search just the way you described and 1st letter went in, and the second and third with no issues.

Sorry, thats not gonna help your situation.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts