Smart TV versus Streaming Stick

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Every tv I have has apps built in, but I can not think of the last time I used any of them for their "smart" functions. The app selection is so varied, and they are so rarely updated, that IMO a add on streaming device is the best way to go.
The only one I use on my TV is Plex. The LG has a great interface for the Plex app

Reactions: charlesrshell
Regarding SmartTV versus a Streaming box/stick, I'd go with the external solution unless you're prepared to swap out your TV every 3-5 years. If you get the SmartTV, you're stuck with whatever CPU, RAM, and storage that came with your SmartTV, period. If Roku, Amazon, or Apple come out with new services that require faster processing, you can bite the bullet and pay another $30-200 for a new device instead of $500-3000 for a new TV. Obviously, the bigger the TV screen, the more sense it makes to go external. At least until the TV manufactures come up with a industry-standard slot that allows the Smarts to be swapped out and keep the rest of the viewing hardware in place.

Sometimes you have to go internal, like a YouTube app that does 4K HDR that may not be supported by your external box's hardware (*cough*, Apple) but that doesn't happen too often.

Regarding SmartTV versus a Streaming box/stick, I'd go with the external solution unless you're prepared to swap out your TV every 3-5 years. If you get the SmartTV, you're stuck with whatever CPU, RAM, and storage that came with your SmartTV, period. If Roku, Amazon, or Apple com out with new services that require faster processing, you can bite the bullet and pay another $30-200 for a new device instead of $500-3000 for a new TV. Obviously, the bigger the TV screen, the more sense it makes to go external. At least until the TV manufactures come up with a industry-standard slot that allows the Smarts to be swapped out and keep the rest of the viewing hardware in place.

Sometimes you have to go internal, like a YouTube app that does 4K HDR that may not be supported by your external box's hardware (*cough*, Apple) but that doesn't happen too often.
It appears I am going to get a Fire Stick for me. I checked the Amazon Prime app on my LG and I guess I am stuck with whatever HBO programs that are there. Will the Fire Stick get me all the HBO programs?

I have a Roku 4K TV and the only time I have time to stream anything is between regular seasons after I catch up on all recordings I haven't had time to watch during the season.
Another problem with streaming is you can't skip any commercials they provide.
Clearly the best streaming device is the one that provides access to the streaming services you want to use.

Which streaming service (not device or TV) are you unable to skip commercials on? Commercial skip is entirely dependent on the service and not the hardware on which you are viewing it AFAIK.

It appears I am going to get a Fire Stick for me. I checked the Amazon Prime app on my LG and I guess I am stuck with whatever HBO programs that are there. Will the Fire Stick get me all the HBO programs?

If you want more and more recent HBO shows than come with Prime Video, you will need to subscribe to the HBO Prime Video Channel via Amazon or HBO Now (separate subscription and app). This is the equivalent of subscribing to HBO via your cable or satellite provide and costs about the same.

Regarding SmartTV versus a Streaming box/stick, I'd go with the external solution unless you're prepared to swap out your TV every 3-5 years. If you get the SmartTV, you're stuck with whatever CPU, RAM, and storage that came with your SmartTV, period. If Roku, Amazon, or Apple come out with new services that require faster processing, you can bite the bullet and pay another $30-200 for a new device instead of $500-3000 for a new TV. Obviously, the bigger the TV screen, the more sense it makes to go external. At least until the TV manufactures come up with a industry-standard slot that allows the Smarts to be swapped out and keep the rest of the viewing hardware in place.

Samsung actually offered upgrade kits for their TVs at one point and may still, but they didn't sell well at all. Who wants to spend $400 upgrading their TV every few years when a streaming stick costs less than $50 and lasts about the same amount of time?

If you want more and more recent HBO shows than come with Prime Video, you will need to subscribe to the HBO Prime Video Channel via Amazon or HBO Now (separate subscription and app). This is the equivalent of subscribing to HBO via your cable or satellite provide and costs about the same.

Also, there is an end date to the HBO content included with Prime Video. AT&T has said they would not renew their content contract with Amazon. I think it might be the end of 2019, but I cannot seems to find the details. At that point, you would need an HBO subscription to watch any HBO content on Prime Video.

Thanks ncted. As you can probably tell, we have never used Amazon videos. Primarily joined Prime for the free shipping.

Reactions: ncted
Samsung actually offered upgrade kits for their TVs at one point and may still, but they didn't sell well at all. Who wants to spend $400 upgrading their TV every few years when a streaming stick costs less than $50 and lasts about the same amount of time?
Is there a remote control advantage using the TV app versus a streaming stick app? Does the TV remote control work better than the Fire 4K Stick?

I have a Sony 900 series TV and I also use several of the Android TV apps. I have disabled the Samba. This also speeds up the Android TV.
1) Go to settings and select Apps
2) Scroll down to Samba Services Manager
3) If already enabled select Force Stop
4) Then select Disable.

Samba will no longer spy on you.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I’ve read that does not really work. I did it. I understand I need to go to my router and block a.certain address.

I have a lot of ripped DVDs on my LAN, and the Fire TV Stick w/VLC app can play these just fine. My Roku devices don't have VLC available. Is this the lack of mpeg-2 decoding on Roku? A licensing issue? My RokuTV likewise will not play my LAN movies, even though it clearly has mpeg-2 decoding to show OTA broadcasts.
Have you tried Plex on your Roku for playing ripped movies?

Good luck finding a dumb TV, especially in the larger sizes. Anyway, you can slap a Roku or similar on that outdated smart TV.

033CED73-423E-468E-AA12-2E5DA22D09B6.png

I’ve read that does not really work. I did it. I understand I need to go to my router and block a.certain address.

The process described by dweber works, just denying permission during setup allows Samba to run and slow down AndroidTV. You need to check that Samba is still disabled after a reboot as it sometimes restarts after rebooting or resetting the TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts