Smart Tvs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

shodobe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
NorCal
Not sure where to go and ask this question, but here goes. I just bought a new Smart Tv and it has all of the apps that I will not really use. My question is this, if you can use a laptop and wireless connection to get to your homepage, mine is yahoo, then how if possible or not, could you connection to your homepage and use the unit as a monitor for web surfing. The apps are very restrictive and generally dumb. It would be nice to be able to switch from TV viewing to net surfing. Possible or not? Thanks

could you connection to your homepage and use the unit as a monitor for web surfing. ... It would be nice to be able to switch from TV viewing to net surfing. Possible or not?
No way to respond competently or accurately without knowing the make/model of both laptop and TV, but I doubt you're going to do this over your home network. In order to use the TV as a secondary monitor, the respective video port would ordinarily be used. And they're not usually connected with the Ethernet ports. Not sure what high end stuff may be lurking out there, but odds are you'll only accomplish this goal with a direct cable between video I/O ports.

For example; I have a high end Samsung HDTV, and the latest ultrabook high def laptop. The TV has a USB WiFi dongle that connects with my router. But that port on the TV is dedicated to apps and downloaded video only. It does however have a separate PC port, but I'd have to get a special cable; mini-VGA on the laptop end, HDMI on the TV end. Then I'd have to program my laptop video card for multiple monitor operation. So even though my $1700 ultrabook can use my $1300 TV as a secondary monitor, I can't do it wirelessly.

//greg//

Last edited:
Can't speak for other brands, but I have 2 Vizio sets with a bunch of junk apps as you say. But there is no browser capability, so am limited to those many many apps only. Only good ones are You Tube which gives the same capability as a computer and the several movie streaming services.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)