Smartcard or no smartcard?

aklarvanto

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Wasilla, Alaska
Hello,

I have received daily error messages "your smartcard is not authorized" and problem has gone away after multiple reboots until today when my 612 completely stopped working. After several reboots, I noticed my SC number was S00-0000 all zeros. Now it was time to call Dish.

Person who took my call said he had never heard of receiver without SC. He said Dish will ship me a new card in five business days and that will fix my problem. However, this brings up three questions some of you can maybe answer.

1- If ther is no such thing as receiver without SC, how come my SC number has been S19-xxxx in the past year until now it is just zeros? I had this knowledge that some receivers are shipped with internal chip and slot is for future use when they update cards. (blue card->yellow card->purple card)

2-How internal card (if there is such thing) can fail like that?

3-If there is unexpected problem with internal SC and they will ship me new card, should I expect replacement card to fix the problem?

If it has S19 then it already had the new purple card chip built into it and shouldn't need a new card. Card swap was already done. I think it is a bad receiver and a new card will not fix this. I believe this is an error on their part and a new receiver should have been sent out. I am sure it is an internal problem.

Some of the receivers that have been refurbbed have a internal smart card. When my grandma had an issue with a bad 311 (with removable card) the 311 we got as a replacement had a internal card

are you sure you have the newest software in the receiver?

Software version is latest, I think it is L60.6. This receicer was new in box, purchased from Radioshack November 2008 so I'm wondering how it can be refurbished?

All 612 receivers since they started manufacturing them had a G3 card built in. A replacement smartcard WILL NOT fix the problem, the receiver won't even try and detect it. Call them back and request a replacement receiver.

All 612 receivers since they started manufacturing them had a G3 card built in. A replacement smartcard WILL NOT fix the problem, the receiver won't even try and detect it. Call them back and request a replacement receiver.

A replacement smartcard might not fix the problem. But if the problem is with the internal smart card, a new smartcard would fix the problem.

Makes sense, why they would even have slot there for a new card if it cannot be detected. Maybe inserting a new card will switch internal off. We'll wait and see...

This is from Dish website:

There is no old smart card in my receiver.

A.

Some DISH Network receivers previously did not require a smart card. If this applies to your receiver, simply insert the new smart card we mailed to you, into your receiver's empty card slot.

Last edited:
As long as the correct SC is updated in their system....it should read the external card over the internal card. Yea replacing the rcvr would fix both problems, but since you have the new SC coming in the mail anyways, give a go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)