SMC (386) Favorite changed to SD from HD

The problem was they left the previously HD channel mapped to the (temporary) SD version when adding it.
And that you had previously set up the recording to that channel. That and for your guide was my warning.
-Ken

Yes, you will see both in either All channel favorites.
The problem was that what was HD in my favorites list became an SD favorite--NOT.
It didn't take long to correct but it should not have had to be corrected.
-Ken
When the free preview ends, and the SD channels are removed, you may find the HD channels gone from your favorites, as well, as they move back to their originally tagged positions.

I am sorry that this happen with the free preview SD feed. I have submitted to have this looked at but I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Yes, you will see both in either All channel favorites.
The problem was that what was HD in my favorites list became an SD favorite--NOT.
It didn't take long to correct but it should not have had to be corrected.
-Ken
there is an option in the menu that lets you prioritize HD feeds over SD feed and on the VIP211 (and i am sure others) will let u hide all the SD channels in all guides when the HD version is available

I also had the SD version replace the HD feed in my favorites list on both MGM and SMC. The HD versions were there but not in my favorites as I had them set to originally. Had to go in to the list and change them back.

I have my receiver set to HD over SD, and it still did change my favorites for SMC from HD to SD. Didn't check MGM yet.

there is an option in the menu that lets you prioritize HD feeds over SD feed and on the VIP211 (and i am sure others) will let u hide all the SD channels in all guides when the HD version is available
Not in this case.

Not in this case.

Right. Our 211k currently shows channel 386 HD in the guide setup in that manner. However, when you tune to the station, it does not show the HD insignia in the channel banner and the channel itself is clearly NOT in HD.

Changed my guide to get both MGM and SMC back to HD last night. Came home tonight, they are back to SD in my guide!

I could swear that MGM was in HD when I first noticed this problem.
However, tonight it was clearly missing the HD in the guide.
So when the enabled the SD channels they messed up and routed the former
recording and guide to SD instead of leaving it on HD. Boo.
This means if you have any recordings set earlier than say 8/1 they will not be HD.
-Ken

I could swear that MGM was in HD when I first noticed this problem.
However, tonight it was clearly missing the HD in the guide.
So when the enabled the SD channels they messed up and routed the former
recording and guide to SD instead of leaving it on HD. Boo.
This means if you have any recordings set earlier than say 8/1 they will not be HD.
-Ken
really stupid question..What would happen if you set your recording on the "main" HD channel (the one in the 9000's) instead of the mirror? (mapped next to HD channel). I know its a real PIA but might be a nice workaround.(edit) I dont know if MGM has a main HD channel

Changed the guide preference from HD only to SD & HD, and now 386HD is in HD. Changed it back to HD only and 386HD is still in HD. What a difference for the old movie Thunderheart, lol!

Sucks, though, not sure we will watch a couple of the movies that did not record in HD.

Just discovered, when watching a recording from last weekend, it happened with ReelzHD as well. I don't believe there was an free-view for it.

Edit: Scratch that. For some reason, program started letterboxed (so I assumed SD). About 15 minutes in, full HD. Weird.

Last edited:
Reelz has done the switch several times since March 2012, when Steven Seagal's new crime show started. I recorded a few in SD, when it was supposed to be HD. Sometimes 299HD is on the guide, sometimes not. Dish customer Service reps, say it's Reelz that controls the signal, as Dish just broadcasts it. So, maybe it's the same with other providers.

I realized what Reelz was doing...letterboxing scenes containing the opening credits so as not to have them get chopped on the SD feed.

Not sure if this is coincidental, or I just didn't notice until today... But now SMC has a ton of commercial breaks (there were at least 10 during Animal Kingdom tonight). I remember they used to have maybe ONE short break that usually just showed previews, but this was obnoxious. Just like when IFC did it.

Another one bites the dust? Another nail in the coffin for me -- it's just not worth paying $80 a month for 'premium' channels that make me pay twice with commercial breaks.

The sad thing is, it seems like 95% of viewers don't even care. I would LOVE to see them start showing commercials during Dexter on Showtime. People would complain for a month, then fall right in line. Argh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)